Looking to replace my old MP racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by F1_shuttle, Jul 9, 2012.

1. F1_shuttle

F1_shuttle Regular Member

Hi All,
    I am your typical newbie looking for help on choosing a racket! (pls forgive me..)

I've been playing for many years now so I'm probably an intermediate, however I do need to improve in many aspects of my game. When I first started I bought a MP8 (22lbs) and a CAB8600Ti (20lbs). Initially I was using the CAB but as I improved, found it to be too light and lacking power and therefore switched to the MP8.

I have now come to the conclusion that my defense is too weak partly due to the (perceived?) head-heavy MP8. (I'm a 5"7 asian with avg wrist strength). So i've been scouring these forums as well as using the yonex chart to help with a racket selection (head light/heavy vs repulsion/hold)

The main problem I have at the moment is that I would like to know where the MP8 sits on that Yonex chart, so I have a base point to compare to. I also don't know what flex my racket is and numerous web searches haven't helped. (it is 3U/G3)

Due to my situation, I can't try out any more rackets and so will base my decision on having played the MP8, 8600Ti. Result is that I'm thinking of either Arc7 or Arc5DX.

So the help I need is:
    - where does MP8 and 8600Ti sit on the yonex chart?
    - confirm what flex they are (i guess it is medium)
    - would arc7 or arc5x be suitable for me?

Thanks alot
    Mike

2. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

I recommend restrung the 8600 with BG85 23lbs and see how you like it. Buying a new racket is always a gamble which may or may not pay off.

3. F1_shuttle

Thks wlachlan, but the stringers don't want to do it beyond 20lbs as that is the recommended max on the racket. Maybe due to liability reasons as well I'm guessing.

Agree that it's sometimes a lottery when buying a racket that you haven't tried yet.

4. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

Indeed, it is rated rather low but my 5 years old 8200LT has been strung at 23lbs since new w/o problem. I am not a racket expert but the Ti10 3rd gen might suit your need. It should be more powerful than the 8200 yet not head heavy. The 4U VT60 is also an interesting option because it is flexible head heavy which is great for smashing, but still reasonable agile due to its lightweight.

5. F1_shuttle

That's the main problem I have. I exclusively use the MP8 now and generally found it to be ok and enjoy the power. But I'm being found out on my defence (ie unable to react fast enough), so I'm wondering whether I should pick a racket with a slightly lighter head to improve my defence whilst maintaining some of power. That's why I'm not considering the nanorays and nanospeeds.

If I knew where my MP8 and 8600Ti lies on the yonex chart, I can at least pick a racket that is maybe in between these two in terms of head weight.

6. Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan Regular Member

Student
    MP and Carbonex series are mostly even balance which is same with arcsaber in terms of head heaviness....
    i dont know about the shaft stiffness but i think it is medium because not many lower end yonex racket is stiff.....
    so, i think both Arc7 and 5dx would suit u as both of them is even balance and medium stiffness.....

7. F1_shuttle

Thks. I agree that its most likely medium stiffness as I'm able to bend it without too much effort. However I'm a bit surprised to see that you think the MP series is even balance. These models are grouped under "power" in the latest Yonex online catalogue, so I would guess that they are head heavy rather than balanced like Arc.