Tension, gauge and sweetspot

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by DuckFeet, Jul 10, 2012.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    TL;DR Is it actual or perceived tension that decides the sweetspot size? So I was wondering about the sweetspot since I went to 22/24 lbs. Sweetspot is smaller but wowee when I hit it right! Anyway, to get the spot larger on one of my rackets I am wondering what setup to go for next, for a warmup racket or whatever. Assuming: As you increase tension the sweetspot gets smaller. Thinner strings have a higher perceived tension, in that they feel tighter at the same tension. Is it actual or perceived tension that decides the sweetspot size? so lets say 23lbs on a 66 gauge string, if I wanted a more noob friendly racket would I go: a) thinnner string to feel the same but drop 2lbs b) thicker string at same tension so they feel softer and therefore bigger sweetspot? I have 3 different gauges on 3 rackets at the same tension so I should be able to report back but I couldn't hit a cow's ass with a banjo last night so I didn't even take the 0.62mm racket with me. Strings in use: Zymax 62, micropower 66, Zymax 70. I like ashaway strings :) I'm just thinking out loud, we all know the answer is to just hit it sweetly.

2. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    I think I'm understanding what you're trying to say but there is one key fundamental that you're missing.

A thinner string will be stretched more at a specific tension compared to a thicker string at the same tension. For example, a .65 string at 24 pounds will be stretched tauter than a .70 string at the same tension. You could say that the said .65 string is technically a pound or two tighter than the .70 string.

Therefore, you don't gain any advantages in sweetspot size by choosing a thinner string at a lower tension than your normal. This is the same vice versa.

Also note, different strings feel and behave differently. For example, bg65 is definitely not just a thicker bg66 or bg80.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

In addition to above, your stringer's experience and skill also makes a huge difference on the sweetspot.

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Whoa there! What's this about the stringer can influence the sweetspot? A link for me to read will suffice ;)