User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Well, hard part's over: it survived one of my 30 lb string jobs.

It strings a lot like gut, actually, including the pictured bruising from the clamps (but not the puller, thankfully), but it didn't lose as much slack on the prestretch as I was expecting. Pitch is surprisingly high for such a thick and soft string.
    yea baby, let's hear the review, hehehe. sorry i'm still excited i don't know why, despite the fact that gut doesn't play well for badminton according to your previous postings.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, hard part's over: it survived one of my 30 lb string jobs.

It strings a lot like gut, actually, including the pictured bruising from the clamps (but not the puller, thankfully), but it didn't lose as much slack on the prestretch as I was expecting. Pitch is surprisingly high for such a thick and soft string.
    Is that a PPro?
    Be interested to know how it plays at the net and for punch clears...

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Is that a PPro?
    Be interested to know how it plays at the net and for punch clears...
    Yes, it's on my PPro; I didn't stick it in one of the prototypes because I should be testing string in a familiar racket.

Luckily, my game uses a lot of "punch" shots...

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hmm

Well, Yonex have managed to mimic natural gut pretty well, IMO. I'm just confused as to why.

As a control player who tries to hit close to the tape, I found this stuff just too unpredictable. With pushes and drives, the shuttle started to wobble and spin the moment it came off the bed, like I'd hit an "undercut" serve. A symptom of sitting on the strings too long. Basically, when it came to control, it played like a low-mid 20's.

With regard to feel... there was none, to be blunt. It was like hitting with somebody else's hand. I was thinking this from the moment I opened the packet, given how it strung.

As you might have guessed, sound quality suffered as well - you can hit as hard as you want, but you'll only ever get a muted "thud". Sounded even looser than it felt.

Power was better than I was expecting (and better than natural gut), but not in the same street as the usual multifilaments. Durability I couldn't assess - I didn't break it - but it will probably be very good indeed. It's very soft and cushiony, good at stealing vibration and transmitting it across the entire frame.

I'm almost certain this string is aimed exclusively at old-skool players who want to go back to the gut days. I'm not one.

Big thanks to Winston for the test set... I just hope he didn't buy too many...

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe you should try stringing it at a lower tension, say 24-26 or thereabouts?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, Yonex have managed to mimic natural gut pretty well, IMO. I'm just confused as to why.

As a control player who tries to hit close to the tape, I found this stuff just too unpredictable. With pushes and drives, the shuttle started to wobble and spin the moment it came off the bed, like I'd hit an "undercut" serve. A symptom of sitting on the strings too long. Basically, when it came to control, it played like a low-mid 20's.

With regard to feel... there was none, to be blunt. It was like hitting with somebody else's hand. I was thinking this from the moment I opened the packet, given how it strung.

As you might have guessed, sound quality suffered as well - you can hit as hard as you want, but you'll only ever get a muted "thud". Sounded even looser than it felt.

Power was better than I was expecting (and better than natural gut), but not in the same street as the usual multifilaments. Durability I couldn't assess - I didn't break it - but it will probably be very good indeed. It's very soft and cushiony, good at stealing vibration and transmitting it across the entire frame.

I'm almost certain this string is aimed exclusively at old-skool players who want to go back to the gut days. I'm not one.

Big thanks to Winston for the test set... I just hope he didn't buy too many...
    thank you for your review, now i have nothing to look forward to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice review. Thanks Mark; maybe you can post this onto the MBS' product review page as well? lol

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

finally got some delivered to me, can't wait to actually string on onto a racket and try to feel the difference. i'll probably string it onto one of my blx force so that i can string it against something else. hard part is trying to decide what i should pit the CBG200 against...probably the bg70pro that i have since that will be my go-to string recently...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

finally had a chance to string this onto a Hi-Qua Armor Ace 900T at 24x25lbs

the texture felt really crappy, crappy as in high school PE class badminton racket string crappy. also, when you apply pressure on a certain area of the string, the density of that area changes, indicates by the color change of the string especially where the main and cross intersects.

personally, i hate the semi-clear off white color. it looks sorta dirty like gut strings for tennis.

replusiveness was similar to bg70pro and the hitting sound, to my surprise was way better than that of bg65. maybe because of the low tension, i had no problem smashing and backhand clearing.

control was a bit of a problem. switching from bg70pro strung on a second copy of the same racket at the same tension, i find cbg200 unpredictable at times. it is very inconsistent especially when the shot consisted a bit of slice in it.

hitting sound was better than i thought. i was expecting thuds but what i heard at 24x25lbs was semi crisp hitting sound. i guess i had little hope in hearing hitting sound similar to those of ashaway power gut 65, so my expectations were very low.

durability i have not figured out since it was my first night hitting with it but i will probably not cut it till and wait till i snap on its own!

overall it's a very dull string and i am, as expected, very disappointed. i was hoping that at least one of the characteristics of this string would stand out, but in fact, none did. personally for me, for the power/control balance, i would still go back to bg65 at26x27lbs strung on a yonex nanoray 300!!!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i agree with the previous response to this thread that this string is all over the place in terms of control shots like overhead drops and net drops. sometimes even a cross court lift from the net to the baseline was a bit off, but then again that could just be me having an off day :P

one thing i noticed, is that when i check on the string from time to time to push it back to it's normal position, i noticed that some of the material from the cork, like paint, would be stuck on the string, and i've cleaned the string by flicking the paint off of it after every sessions.

judging from the way it feels while stringing, i didn't think that this string would have any real "bite" in it, compared to victor vs850 or yonex bg85 or ashaway power gut 65. however, the more i play the more i noticed that material from the cork of the shuttle kept getting stuck on my stringbed. i wonder if it's just the bad quality shuttles (aeroplane black label, victor tourney #2, victor gold, yonex aerosensa 30).

now that i've had it for almost two weeks playing 3 sessions a week and at average of 3-4hrs per session, i am liking the hitting sound a lot. maybe the string is still fresh, but i do feel that semi-crisp feel. of course it's nowhere near that of bg85.

maybe the string is a big looser too, haven't checked with a tension app, but i'm seeing increase in power and pace on my shots.

was strung at 24x25lbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to order 5 to test it out but thanks to you guys, will definitely pass on it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3