Cracked at 3 o'clock

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by stradrider, Jul 11, 2012.

1. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Hi!

Was stringing NS6600 for someone from the club at 24x26, crosses bottom to top. When pulling 4th cross from the bottom, I heard cracking sound. Stopped right away and cut the strings. The sound was from the crack at 16th hole, 4 holes higher than where I was pulling :-(.
    IMG_0818.jpg

I guess it should be considered my fault, also I am not sure what I did wrong... Any ideas?

Usually I am pulling the crank for about 3 seconds, may be did it a bit faster this time, could it be the problem?

Machine has 6 supports. When finishing crosses, side supports are getting loose. Distance about 2-3 mm between frame and the supports. Could this be the problem? Frame shape seems to be fine after the job though.

Could that happen if swivel clamp got loose? Not sure if they are stable enough for this tension, may be need to screw them harder...

Checked the racket before stringing. Don't think there were any cracks, a few paint chips, not near the place it broke... Don't think the racket is fake.

My machine is crank with 6 point support. So far I strung 25 rackets, 10 for other people. This is the 2nd racket at 24x26, first went no problem. Other string jobs I have done so far 22x24 or lower. I am restorer myself and work with valuable items all the time, never had problem with been careful...

Any ideas how to avoid this nightmare in future? Since it broke while stringing will have to pay for a new racket I guess... :-( How to handle this without damaging the reputation? Till now was told my stringing was good.

Many thanks!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    bummer. sorry to hear that.

can you post a photo of where the side support are placed on the racket head?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    other useful information will be the model of the machine and potentially a photo of the side supports.

4. stradrider

Thanks for the reply,

Here is the photo:
    IMG_0830.jpg

Hope it is possible to understand what machine is that. Unfortunately I don't know the model - it says Kawasaki in big letters on the stand, nothing else. Noone knows what it is (got it from the club), I suspect it's rebranded...

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as i suspected. that's a Eagnas OEM machine, the Hawk80, which has the worst side support as they slip under stress. they slip because they are held purely on friction and no amount of force can make them stay put.

i am guessing that the side support might have slipped.

next time you string, try to mark the position of the side support before and after.

i know because i have a similar machine before.

6. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    What is also possible: You don't screwed tightly enough the towers on the downside. So the towers are moving inwards when you sting the mains.

7. stradrider

That is so unlucky! I was thinking to do something to increase the friction of side supports just before stringing that racket, but decided to string first...

Thanks a lot for help to find the model of the machine! I understand it is actually Hawk 800, since it has stand and crank.

Since I don't have an option to change the machine for now, I lined the side support clamping plate with sandpaper. Before that I could still easily move the plate while pressing it down with my hand no meter how hard I press, now even little pressure down makes it stay put. What do you think?
    IMG_0835.jpg
    Will try to string something now and see if it works...

8. stradrider

I think it helped. Stringing at 1 pound more on crosses ended up with side supports tight until few last crosses, than got loose by 0.5 mm. Racket ended up about 2 mm thinner than without the string. I think if next time crosses will be the same tension as mains I may end up with perfect head shape...

Let's say next time supports stay tight all the way up on crosses and head is the right shape, would you say I have solved the problem and can sleep better now? Or do I still have problem with side supports?

Should I look into something else to make sure that this kind of crack never happens again?