Choosing between VT70 & ARC10

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by davemingchang, Jul 12, 2012.

1. davemingchang

davemingchang Regular Member

G'day to all,

I'm recently considering to buy a new racket and what I have in mind is the VT70 and the ARC 10. I'm a social/occasionally competitive player and i've been playing with yonex MP44(med flex, light, head balanced) for a couple of years. After years of playing, i'm not satisfied with my attacking play as i used to be probably due to improvements in my game. So my question is wether i should go for the VT70 which is also med flex and head heavy or should I go for the ARC 10 which is stiffer and has a more balanced head weight. Would the head weight or the stiffness play a significant role for my case. I have seen many players using the ARC10 but i hardly seen anyone around me using the VT70 so i'm wondering wether a combination of head heavy and more flexible a non popular choice?

P/S: Pretty sure i'm not into head heavy + stiff rackets like VT80.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

depends on your technique and preference, so no-one can help you. The best thing you can do is test some rackets

3. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

i was asking the same question a few months back. I ended up choosing the victor MX60.

4. davemingchang

davemingchang Regular Member

did u tried both of the mentioned rackets?what made u chose the victor

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    As mentioned, no one can really tell you what racquet you will like. But if you say what qualities you like from a racquet then people may be able to give you some suggestions - although you will still need to try it to see if it suits you. Aside from balance and stiffness, what other qualities do you like from a racquet?

To give you an example, I have been using an AS8DX for some time and find it one of the best racquets I have ever used. Having read about the AS10, the Yonex charts/specs and the reviews from users suggested that it is very similar to the 8DX. Not to mention the fact that a lot of professionals and BC members use it. So I went ahead and bought two.

However, having played with them, imo this could not have been further from the truth. The AS10 is a completely different racquet to the AS8DX. The only similarities are the balance and possibly the feel of the swing through the air. Other than that they are pretty different racquets.

I personally would not recommend the AS10 to any one. I can't understand why so many people like it. In my opinion, it is probably one of the worst Price:Quality racquets Yonex has ever manufactured.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

as10 is a shuttle... :p

7. Vincevt70

Vincevt70 Regular Member

Sales
    I have both of these rackets. I haven't played competitive badminton for a few years and I was unfamiliar with the new rackets out there. I did some research and found that the VT70 would suit me at that time (hence my user name). VT70 is a good racket for high beginner to mid-intermediate. The racket is light with a mid-flex shaft so it's easy to make all sorts of shots. After playing with it for more than a year, I developed the technique and strength to use a stiffer racket. I tried out a ARC10 and was able to play better with it. It's heavier (comparing 3U to 3U) and my smashes automatically improved. Shots have been more accurate and now it's my go to racket.

I guess what I'm trying to say is judge for yourself what level of play you're at. I wouldn't have been able to handle the ARC10 back then, but now that I can feel that I'm getting better, I chose a stiffer racket to suit my playing style. Mind you, the ARC10 is not THAT stiff. It's noticebly stiffer than mid-flex rackets but not as stiff as VT80.

Like what everybody says, try to try out other people's rackets. I know it's hard to find those specific rackets at a club but you never know...you may run into a player that has one and be able to try it.

8. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Try out different brands. I have used an VT80, Arc10, Arc8DX, SW35, CAB25, , N55ii. All different brands, balances and weight. Out of all of them I like the SW35 for a power game and the Arc8DX for control at the moment. Plus the string and tension has a part to play.

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    just throwing it out there, maybe it's not the racket, maybe it's your technique?

but if you want a replacement for a bit more power and better maneuverability, i say the vt70. i prefer that over the arc10 since i have both and i've played with both. that's my choice, and i mostly plays doubles.