Need Help in Doubles Flick Serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by nightin9ale, Jul 13, 2012.

1. nightin9ale

nightin9ale Regular Member

Whenever I serve a flick, I usually move back quickly into the side to side defense position right after the moment my racket hit the shuttle. Is that right? The problem I had with this, however, is that eventually our opponents realize this, and they just do a drop shot whenever I flick. They end up winning the point because neither I or my partner could get the drop. Basically if I do a flick serve, what should my position be? Should I stay and cover the front and wait for my opponents shot to position myself? Or should I let my partner cover everything except the front, wait for his response shot, and then position myself to whatever's appropriate? What am I responsible for if our opponents smash, drop, or clear? What is my partner responsible for? If I do what I usually do, I can defend it if the opponent smashes that bird. But then, there's the problem I mentioned if the opponent drops. And what if the opponent clears the the flick? Do I immediately move back, and hit the shuttle if it's on my side? I'm just confused about where should I position myself after I serve a flick. I know the basic positioning in doubles, I'm just asking about the moment after I do the flick serve. Please give me some tips. Thanks = )

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Ideally your partner needs some fore-warning that you will be flicking otherwise they may not be ready to receive straight-drop.

In general case, then you should immediately move back to the cross-court and in sides formation.

3. phili

phili Regular Member

You generally don't need to stand that far back as you should when your opponents smash during the rally. Your opponent won't hit the shuttle that hard or with a very good angle because he simply can't get in the right position. If he does your flick was bad.
    But if you totally deceive your opponent you can go to attacking formation.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

This is a really tough one. I struggle with it too. If your opponent is very good, he can attack both the short serve AND the flick serve. And in this case, even a drop can be an attack.

Probably best is to practice perfecting your short serves so that they are not attackable and only use the flick 1 out of 10 times when you feel that he's wanting to jump the short serve or if he's standing right against the service line.

5. nightin9ale

nightin9ale Regular Member

Okay. Thanks guys! = )

6. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    it is possible that you r not set when yr opponent return yr flick serve. U should be set and ready for either smash or drop when he/she hits. it means after serving, move to defensive base with very quick and short shuffling steps (2 shuffle steps).

7. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Maybe if you could improve the length of your flick serve , or add abit of deception , it will less likely to be attacked.

After the flick serve, take one step back , thats all you need.

8. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    And with respect to your question regarding responsibility: As you correctly said, you usually move to the defensive formation after the flick serve. Then it's your partner to return a drop to his side and you to return a drop to your side. If the flick serve is good (far) enough, you/your partner got enough time to get to the net in case of a drop shot. It's more difficult if the opponent drops close to the middle of your court, thereby creating misunderstandings between you and your partner. This needs practice and communication about who should take that one.

9. alexh

alexh Regular Member

You need to check where your partner stands when you serve. Some partners stand too far back, which makes it very difficult for them to cover the net.

10. abans

abans Regular Member

IT
    Agree with visor that flick is a variation used to surprise the opponent. If it is used too frequently, it will create problems.
    My sense is that after flicking, move to the side of the court the opponent is in. so, if you are serving from the left hand court, move to the right side of the court and vice versa. The logic here is that it is hard to execute a cross court drop effectively off a decent flick serve. It is highly probable that the opponent will hit a straight drop. Cross court drop will also take a few milliseconds more to cross over, giving a little more time for your partner to move.

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

abans, that is absolutely the wrong thing to do at a decent level. You just get a shuttle in the face. Not to mention you are walking across your partners line of vision.

12. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

abans, if opponents are decent they will just pound the shuttle down the line. Personally I find straight drops harder to do than cross court ones but that's just me.

If the serve comes at me low, I'm going to crush it. If it comes too high, I'm going to crush it. If it surprises me, I'm going to see what the server is doing and either do a clear or a drop. If the server flicks often, I will change tactics slightly to play more smashes on flicks. Bottom line, if they are any good, flick is bad way to start rally's. You can't expect to win points off serve anymore, just serve to try to minimize the damage of their return.

As for positioning after a flick, most I would do is take a big step back into the center of the box, but I'm still much closer to the net. Most of my flick serves to the outside to get better defensive angles as well as making the server run more.

Also against good people, I only flick about 1-3 times per game.

#12 dimcorner, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  13. abans

abans Regular Member

IT
    amleto & dimcorner: Thanks for the input. Clearly I havent played decent players much. will keep it in mind.