Malaysian Open: Will a Malaysian be champ again?

Discussion in 'Singapore / Indonesia / Malaysia Open 2003' started by whizkelv, Sep 2, 2003.

1. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Sport: Badminton/Malaysian Open: Will a Malaysian be champ again?
    Graig Nunis

THE stage is set for a local winner in the Malaysian Open starting today.

Hopes are high that Wong Choong Hann or any Malaysian can make it three in a row.

Ong Ewe Hock won in 2001 while James Chua stunned everyone when he won the title last year beating Ewe Hock.

This year, the favourites are Chen Hong and world champion Xia Xuanze.

The two Chinese are in top form with Xuanze winning the world title in Birmingham last month.

Chen Hong won in Singapore and finished second in Indonesia.

However, Chen Hong going all the way to the final in back-to-back tournaments, might work against him in Malaysia as fatigue might set in.

This leaves the door open for a Malaysian to sneak in.

Singles coach Misbun Sidek certainly believes so.

The former national champion said: “The gap among the top players in the world is quite small.

“The gold medals have been changing hands in all the tournaments and I think we have something like seven different winners in eight tournaments.

“This is an indication of the strength of the game and I will not be surprised if a Malaysian wins the Open once again.”

Among the other big names are Peter Gade, Kenneth Jonassen and Asian champion Sony Dwi Kuncoro.

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I don't think so.

3. shuyi

shuyi Regular Member

I dont think so too ;)
    Although Wong Choong Hann is good, but the other players like Chen Hong and Xia Xuanze are better. Wong always give me an impression that he doesnt have the kind of fighting spirits. Mentally not very strong. Not sure.. just my opinion :)

4. Hamz

Hamz Regular Member

Logistics
    I think so....

Haven't you heard the spirit of "Jaguh Kampung" ?
    Our own boys have done it before in their own turf at M'sia Opens.
    Who would expect James Chua to win it ?
    Look at the upsets made by Sairul and Kuan Beng Hong.
    Lee CW could just pull the carpets under the feet of the favourites.

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Good chance, I think China players have really over-stretched themselves esp

Bao and Lin Dan . Possibly some challenge from fresh Danes.

6. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Danes have been blunted. Gade and Anders are both out.

7. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Why Peter Gade, Kenneth Jonassen and Sony Dwi Kuncoro? Based on what??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Besides players from Malaysia and Xia, Chen Hong, Who should come next? Just look at recent results, there are tens of better candidates on the waiting list but certainly a way before Gade, Jonassen and Kuncoro.

Just name a few:
    WC semifinalists: Bao Chunlai, Shon SM
    Singapore open semifinalists: Lee HI, Lin Dan
    and Indonesia open semifinalists: Lee, Wu YY.

Gade is not the Gade years ago. Now it is very difficult for him to beat any of the players listed above. Bao CL and Lin D have been better than Sony Kuncoro since junior level.

8. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    These three not being on good form recently doesn't mean they are not "big names".
    I would say being a "big name" is mainly a question of reputation...

And Peter Gade definately IS a big name, even though he is very far from his best level!
    (lost again in the first round today...)

9. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Is Sony Dwi Kuncoro a bigger name than Bao Chunlai and Lin Dan?

Sony Dwi Kuncoro definitely reads longer than Bao Chunlai and Lin Dan. Having a longer name is all big name about?

If look at their achivements, I don't think so. Both Bao and Lin won several 6 stars tournaments plus 5 stars also. And also both Bao and Lin were ranked 1st in the world before. What did Sony get? Just beat Taufik in Asian.

10. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    The text says "Among the other big names", so it doesn't mean these are the only big names (nor the biggest), but that they are big names. (they are just cited as examples)

Bao and Lin surely are big names too!!

I suppose if you had been the journalist, you would have cited different names... ;)

Anyway, is this really important? :confused:

11. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

That's exactly the point I wanted to convey. Gade is a big name, used to be, but definitely not hot to grab the title this time. Jonassen, and Kuncoro's name are not that big and hot enough for the title either.

That journalist can have his view who's hot, and may I have a different view. Is that okay for me to have my own opinion who's hot and tell others?

For Chinese players, Chen Yu, Chen Hong and Bao Chunlai are offensive players, they can make a lot of winners, but some times under pressure, they are easy to make unforced errors. While Lin Dan, Xia Xuanze, and WU Yunyong have less unforced errors, but less powerful also. I really cannot find which one is better than ohters.

This Malaysian open reminds me Zhao Jianhua. When he, as a teenager, first participated his first international tournament, He won the Malaysia open. Then he kept winning the Scott open, All England open, ..., without lose a match, until getting sick. Now I really cannot find anyone else like Zhao. Look at Bao, Lin, Chens, Xia, Taufic, Sony, Lees (from Malaysia and Korea),..., everyone is so easily beatable, even lost to unknowns many times.

12. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    The good thing about badminton nowadays is that big names are no longer guaranteed victories in their matches, and we can always count on one or two unheralded players to throw a spanner into the works and create dramatic upsets.

The bad thing about this is that once the big names are out, so are the crowd and media interest.

What I think should become great matches are games between up and coming youngsters against experienced campaigners when the form of both sets of players are good coming into a tournament.

It'd be great to see Chen Hong slain by Sony Dwi Kuncoro, no? The excitement of having a youngster fight his way to victory against an established player is definitely not there when it comes to say... Peter Gade vs Xia Xuanze, no?

Just IMHO la.

13. cao ci dan

cao ci dan Regular Member

student
    why lee chong wei can only win home title?while lin dan and bao chunlai just can't give us an extra ordinary matches?

14. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Pragmatism.

"When you you're first, you're first. When you're second, you're nothing".

"History only remember the winners, not the losers".

15. cao ci dan

cao ci dan Regular Member

student
    dun understand!