What is the proper way for footwork???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by unregistered, Sep 4, 2003.

1. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hi! i'm currently training my singles play but always temd to wear myself out moving around the court. i know it takes on 2 to 3 steps to move around but How should i move around with my legs? do i tip toe or jump on the spot regularly? is it always a must to come back to the center..? sometimes do u shift yourself around?

2. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

FOOTWORK IS HOW you move and what kind of steps you take.,..

the proper way would be moving sideways like a crab would do...

after you've finish a shot.. make sure you get back to the center...

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    did you try the 'search' function and typing in footwork?:rolleyes:

4. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

as you get to a higher level, you'll realize that it's not necessary to get back to the "center".

On the footwork note, there are many different footworks. If you don't feel comfortable going sideways (like me) when moving to the front, i just suggest normal steps to the net, always leading with the right foot and lunging with the right foot.

Side movment is just moving to the side ..crossing your left foot behind the right when moving right. When moving to the left, take a slight hop to the left and twisting your hips in order to lunge your right feet over. (sry, not sure how to explain that better)

Going to the back is different than the front, basic footwork to the back involves shuffling back..OR crossing your left leg behind the right jsut like side movement, just going backwards.

5. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

for me going backwards is always sideways, when i hit it puts my racquet foot forward to i can move back quickly

6. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hmmm

for me.. i soemtimes go back to the centre slowly.. like 2 steps.. from my experience.. going back to the centre can be tiring and wears u out. should u follow the position ur opponent is in? like.. if he is more to teh right side.. should u be there too? moving to 1 side can be dangerous as i know cross court net shots means im dead.
    sometimes if ur too far behind i dun think u should move like a crab but just run briskly back.

7. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

I take my time going slowly to the center/ready area when i do high lifts or high clears. With those "get you out of trouble"shots, you have tons of time and therefore can take tons of time to get ready for the next shot.

And yes, if you are in trouble, one of my coach always told me to get back to your ready area no matter what (running back, however)...even when trying to get to the shot, if you can't do proper footwork, just run for it and just gather yourself from there after/if you've returned the shot