Results 18 to 34 of 40
07-21-2012, 11:07 AM #18
AUS Badminton stars back in form after illness
Yesterday, I was talking with Christina-W (Glenn Warfe's employer) and she said he should be OK.
And today, our AUS news released this article;
Badminton stars back in form after illness
SAT JUL 21 2012
Lemonade icy poles and hydrolytes have done the trick for Australian badminton star Glenn Warfe, who has reportedly bounced back after suffering a bout of food poisoning.
Beijing Olympians Warfe and Ross Smith, as well as Games debutant Renuga Veeran, were struck down by illness just a day into their training camp at Derbyshire, forcing them to rest.
But Australia's Olympic Chef de Mission Nick Green says the three athletes have completed their road to recovery.
"I can say that those athletes are at 100 per cent and back in training at full strength," Green told reporters in London on Saturday.
On Twitter, Warfe, 28, posted pictures of himself eating icy poles during his recovery and thanked his supporters for their well wishes.
"Thanks for all the get well messages," Warfe said.
"Feeling so much better now."
Back on track, Australia's badminton squad will play an exhibition match against the Great Britain All Stars.
07-21-2012, 02:43 PM #19
Someone posted on FB that Michelle Li and ALex Bruce were affected.
07-21-2012, 03:26 PM #20
If it's truly food poisoining as per definition (ie. foodborne), then the food service in London is truly horrible and should be considered an epidemic outbreak. *However*, most likely it's just a viral gastroenteritis that is spread by direct and indirect contact.
07-21-2012, 07:54 PM #21
I assume they did not stay in London - Derby is town about 2 hours away from London. Presumably this is their training camp before going down to London.
07-21-2012, 09:33 PM #22
why always got this kind of thing happens when come to Olympics?
07-21-2012, 10:14 PM #23
07-22-2012, 09:10 AM #24
07-22-2012, 09:41 AM #25
From the latest news, there is suspect that food at the hotel our AUS players were staying was the cause of the food poisoning.
Latest news received is that they are going to switch hotels.
I wonder if the CAN players were staying at the same hotel?
07-22-2012, 11:17 AM #26
07-22-2012, 11:21 AM #27
07-22-2012, 11:41 AM #28
Yes. They stayed at the same hotel. Usually hotels include breakfast....but not lunch and dinner.
So that narrows down to when they got infected.
07-22-2012, 11:48 AM #29
The organizers said those are not official facilities. The official facilities should be okay.
07-22-2012, 04:28 PM #30
An article about the Malaysian team bringing their own chefs
Here, we have an article about the Malaysian team bringing their own chefs.
But their complain is about the chilly weather in Britain.
07-24-2012, 11:41 AM #31
Norovirus has been identified as the cause of the infection
You are correct.
According to BBC News; they were eating at the Mickleover Court Hotel.
London 2012: Badminton teams suffer hotel stomach bug
Five members of Australia and Canada's badminton teams were among a number of guests who fell ill with suspected food poisoning at a hotel in Derby.
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) investigated when guests suffered stomach bugs after eating at the Mickleover Court Hotel last week.
Norovirus has been identified as the cause of the infection, the HPA said.
The hotel, which briefly shut after the illness but has now reopened, said it closed as a precautionary measure.
The three Australians have fully recovered but two Canadians had to miss a warm-up match on Saturday.
The Australian badminton players were Ross Smith, Renuga Veeran and Glenn Warfe, while Michelle Li and Alex Bruce were the ill Canadians.
The HPA said: "Norovirus has been identified as the cause of the infection and we are working with environmental health officers from South Derbyshire District Council to identify the source of the illness.
"Norovirus is the most common cause of infectious gastroenteritis (diarrhoea and vomiting) in England and Wales.
"People can suffer from norovirus at any time of the year, although activity increases in the winter months.
"It usually resolves in one or two days and there are no long-term effects."
The HPA said norovirus was easily transmitted by contact with an infected person, by consuming contaminated food or water or by contact with contaminated surfaces.
The hotel said it did not feel it could take the risk of waiting for results of tests from Environmental Health Officers before closing.
It added that the hotel was now open as normal and a team worked hard to reduce any disruption to events that had been scheduled to take place over the weekend.
07-24-2012, 12:38 PM #32
Norovirus is a horrible virus, I caught a strain of it earlier this year after visiting a sick relative in hospital.
In my case symptoms develop very quickly, I started feeling a bit rough mid-morning and by early afternoon I had my head down the toilet. Unfortunately the vomitting it induces is unrelenting and eventually painfull as you will vomit even with an empty stomach and nothing comming up. In addition it feels like your whole body is inflammed and saps you of strength, I caused my housemate a minor panic when he came home from work and found me asleep face down on the toilet floor (lol!).
As for recovery my fever passed 24-36 hours after first symptoms, but my whole alimentary canal feelt raw. I got ill on the thursday and didn't eat again until the following saturday evening and even that was very painful, it took me until around tuesday to be eating properly again.
In my case I was fully recovered after a week, with proper medical care I would imagine you could knock a couple of days off of that. In the first 12 hours I lost half a stone in weight through mainly fluid loss (this is what puts some people in hosptital) so I can imagine the team doctors would have had the affected parties on a drip to rehydrate them.
Unfortunately the virus is highly contagious and can live for up to two weeks on clothes and the like. During vomitting and diarrhoea the virus is aerosolised and can be contracted that way. I don't blame them for leaving that hotel, I would have checked out too...and burned my clothes
kelana liked this post
07-24-2012, 01:14 PM #33
As i mentioned earlier, its most likely a virus and not food poisoning.
You don't just simply get if from eating at a hotel or restaurant. It can be easily passed on and contracted if you eat or even touch your face without washing hands after a simple handshake or touching a contaminated door handle. It can happen in a daycare, a school or even a nursing home.
One thing for sure, after this mini outbreak, you can bet that athletes will be shaking hands much less often.
07-24-2012, 01:18 PM #34
By yannie in forum Malaysia Professional PlayersReplies: 9: 02-09-2007, 08:46 PM
By jump_smash in forum Olympics ATHENS 2004Replies: 0: 06-17-2004, 02:00 AM
By jump_smash in forum Olympics ATHENS 2004Replies: 0: 06-17-2004, 01:59 AM
By jump_smash in forum Olympics ATHENS 2004Replies: 0: 06-17-2004, 01:58 AM
By odjn in forum General ForumReplies: 15: 02-13-2004, 03:50 AM