User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    ^^ Yeah MRI is not cheap. However you could try shoulder ultrasound which is inexpensive and quite accurate still. But make sure you go to a place with good technicians who do shoulders regularly in order to get accurate results.
    They charge for MRIs in Canada?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As well as lowering the string tension, would switching from a 'hard' feeling string such as BG80 to a softer feeling string i.e. NBG 95 or BG65 make a difference?

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by allyjack110 View Post
    As well as lowering the string tension, would switching from a 'hard' feeling string such as BG80 to a softer feeling string i.e. NBG 95 or BG65 make a difference?
    I'd think so. With more shuttle contact time on the stringbed, less speed and power input is required.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Visor,

Share...

About 2 months back, I similarly went for my "Cha Siew" and felt a sharp click inside my shoulder and immediately clutched in pain. I toyed with the pain for 2-3 weeks brooding myself as I came to terms with my age. I did not go for any "Teet Tah" help. My thoughts were simply to allow my shoulder a good rest. When I resumed my games again, the pain gradually reduced but came back during each work out. Now I can only exert 70% smash and felt my performance deteriorated as my partner had to cover me more now. I swore my son sniggers more nowadays. I still experienced slight discomfort after my games but my game can never be the same again.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@gunner93
    If you're still having pain, make sure you get checked by a doctor or sports physio.

Meanwhile do some of the tests, stretching and strengthening exercises I posted on the first 2 pages.

You have to be proactive with this injury. Don't just rest it. You'll need icing and treatment.

My shoulder still clicks, but I can now smash hard. Also helps that I've switched to less head heavy and less stiff rackets.
    Last edited by visor; 10-30-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone tried deltoid training,I find it help.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beermonstertw View Post
    Has anyone tried deltoid training,I find it help.
    Visor. Thanks
    beermonstertw. Yes did some of these too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have similiar problem too. May be due to overused rotator cuff.

However, I do feel certain muscle in my shoulder is not on par with the rest (not as strong). This may cause some imbalance in my shoulder (I believe). I'm trying to build up my trapezius muscle to strenghten my shoulder blade.

Have been doing chinup and pushup but it caused some pain in my shoulder joint.

I switched to using elastic or Resistance Band. So far, it has been working fine. I can feel that my shoulder is stronger than before. I get shoulder muscle soreness rather than joint pain.

Hope this helps. If in pain, please consult a doctor.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just caught the pain a couple days back. The next morning, it was quite unbearable. Arm movement is limited. Am wondering how long is the recovery period?

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ice it lots (10min every hr if possible) , take ibuprofen, rest. Do not play or even take dry swings until pain subsides.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tks for the advice!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyC View Post
    Just caught the pain a couple days back. The next morning, it was quite unbearable. Arm movement is limited. Am wondering how long is the recovery period?
    Based on what I've gone through with shoulder pain, you seems to have too much shoulder forward movement on your smashes.

BTW, I'm not a doctor. Its based on what I've been through. If you like my craps, please read on.

I think too much smashing with your favourite racket is disloging your shoulder forward.Technique issue Stop smashing.... If you continue smashing, the shoulder joint will be pushed up towards the collar bone. More pain and restricted movement.

Allow me to assume something: There is no pain, no limited shoulder movement at all during games time. Any pattern also can. The pain will come after a certain period of time (hrs) of shoulder inactivity. Feels whole arm can't move or lift. Need to "warmup" shoulder so that you can feel your arm.

Anyway, to cut my craps short, you need to get your range of movement back by doing some shoulder stretching exercises. Pendulum swing exercise is a good one. You can feel all the crackings of your shoulder. Do not work on the pain, it will not help. No pain no gain in this case is untrue.

Once you've got the range of movement back, you have to work on strenghtening the shoulder. I'm sure anyone could find tons of shoulder strenghtening exercises info on the web. Problem is whether one actually do these exercises or not.

Pertaining to your question on how long it takes to recover, I have no idea. Till today (>1 yr), I'm still building my shoulder. At least it doesn't hurt as much as before. Anyway, my experiences may not be the same as what you are experiencing now. Good Luck!

Craps ends.

Serious stuff now: Please consult a doctor for your medical problems. MRI, x-ray whatever to pinpoint the problem.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much smashing, indeed
    ( ○.○) guilty as charged.

Actually, the shoulder pain was there even b4 I started smashing. Just a slight movement discomfort. Aftr the session, it's gotten worse. Now the pain is throbbing even when my arm is stationary. Guess should have just not gone for badmtn that day...simply irresistible...at a price.

Anyway, am hoping to get back to courts in 2 wks...is that reasonably feasible?

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Possibly 2 wks. But you have to treat it and also do some pendulum exercises to increase the space between the tendon and the AC joint.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yipee! Tks visor, u make my day : )

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a physiotherapy session today. It helps a great deal. The thing that's impressive is the pinpoint massage. It soothed the pain away. The most unimpressive thing is spending my full-tank-gas-equivalent dough
    ( ○.○)

Was told to use warm pack instead of ice pack. Hhmmm...wonder what's the difference?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An ice pack is used to reduce inflammation (by lowering the temperature and draining the the fluid in the bursa that causes swelling). A warm pack on the other hand promotes blood flow required for the healing process.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast