User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 69 to 85 of 85
  1. #69
    Regular Member TeddyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    772
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Tks for the informative reply!

  2. #70
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,109
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I had aggravated supraspinatus a couple years ago. had some physio and rest and all was well for a while... until ~ April/May time this year it started to come back.

    Went to see physio who noticed flying scapular caused by week rhomboids. At this point I could just about manage external rotations using 2kg (3x 5 reps). I worked on this (doing seated rows as well), up to ~5kg 3x 8 reps now and fixed the flying scapula issue. However my supraspinatus aggravation is getting worse

    Seeing a specialist next week, but at this point I dont think there will be any good news

  3. #71
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,246
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sorry to hear...

    Hopefully the ortho can order some imaging studies, like ultrasound or MRI to further identify if there are any tendon tears, or abnormal acromion pathology in order to decide what the next step should be.

    Meanwhile, lots and lots of exercises to strengthen the periscapular muscles to pull your shoulder humeral head down and back. This can not be over emphasized enough...

    One particular stretching exercise I've found very helpful to pull the humeral head down and to increase the space under the AC joint for the supraspinatus tendon to pass, is to try to pull/lift a heavy furniture/dresser table that is just slightly lower than the level of your hand by the side of your body. It should be heavy enough that it won't budge.

    Stand with your affected side foot close to the lifting point, then attempt to lift with the affected side hand at about 75 degrees off horizontal. Only your hand/forearm muscles should be tight, while the upper arm and shoulder muscles should be as relaxed as possible for this to work. If done right, you should be able to hear a loud click from the AC joint as it partially subluxes upwards. Don't be alarmed the first time you hear and feel this ... but you should feel some relief immediately afterwards. I do this stretch several times a day...
    Last edited by visor; 10-03-2014 at 12:02 AM.

  4. #72
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    I had aggravated supraspinatus a couple years ago. had some physio and rest and all was well for a while... until ~ April/May time this year it started to come back.

    Went to see physio who noticed flying scapular caused by week rhomboids. At this point I could just about manage external rotations using 2kg (3x 5 reps). I worked on this (doing seated rows as well), up to ~5kg 3x 8 reps now and fixed the flying scapula issue. However my supraspinatus aggravation is getting worse

    Seeing a specialist next week, but at this point I dont think there will be any good news
    Thanks for sharing. I now know that the scapula has its part to play in shoulder injury.

    Don't be dishearted. After all the exercises that you are doing, it should give some positive result. Maybe over trained certain muscle such that the opposing muscle appear weaker. Wish to hear good news from you next week. Keep your hopes high.

  5. #73
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,109
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @visor , @Orangie
    thanks for advice and encouragement

  6. #74
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,109
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Specialist said x-ray looks good. Time for the MRI...

  7. #75
    Regular Member TeddyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    772
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    Specialist said x-ray looks good. Time for the MRI...

    If no health insurance cover, it'll cost an arm n a leg...
    ( ○.○)

  8. #76
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,246
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyC View Post
    If no health insurance cover, it'll cost an arm n a leg...
    ( ○.○)
    Or a shoulder...

    Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    Specialist said x-ray looks good. Time for the MRI...
    Just out of curiosity, for an MRI in England, how much is it for private, and how long is the wait for health care funded?

    In the meantime, keep on physio and doing exercises yourself.

  9. #77
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,109
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't know how much it is private since I have private health care cover from work. The policy costs about 400/year, which I don't pay, but it is a taxable benefit so I do have to pay something for it.

    Going private for physio is 30-50 per session (~30 minutes). I imagine specialists' time is more costly...

    Going private, the longest wait is getting an appointment with local GP and getting the referral letter. Once that is done it's just down to the specialist's availability - maybe one week or two weeks for initial consultation.

    When I was a student and suffered a bad football tackle I had to wait 8 weeks for MRI and similar length of time to receive physio. Also had to wait an age just for the MRI results since they sent them from UK to South Africa for analysis - wtf!

  10. #78
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,266
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    @amleto

    Hope you can sort things out. My shoulder took nearly 9months to clear up. Luckily, rest was what I needed rather than being over enthusiastic with a squash racquet!

  11. #79
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,246
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    8 wks for the govt MRI is not too bad, and in this day and age of the Internet, I'm sure the turn around read time from S. Africa is only a day or two.

    Meanwhile, resting it as Cheung suggests is gonna be tough because we all can't stop playing!

  12. #80
    Regular Member TeddyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    772
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Meanwhile, resting it as Cheung suggests is gonna be tough because we all can't stop playing!

    Nvr ever gonna give it up...!!
    ( *.^)

  13. #81
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,109
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    mri results in. didn't show anything obvious. Consultant suggested doing keyhole exploratory and likely opening up the gap that the tendon slides through. 3-6 months recovery time so probably leave it until Easter and try and get some tournaments in this year.

  14. #82
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,246
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Good to hear no particular tendon pathology.

    Meanwhile you can increase the sub acromial space yourself doing the exercises that I mentioned in a previous post.

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Meanwhile, lots and lots of exercises to strengthen the periscapular muscles to pull your shoulder humeral head down and back. This can not be over emphasized enough...

    One particular stretching exercise I've found very helpful to pull the humeral head down and to increase the space under the AC joint for the supraspinatus tendon to pass, is to try to pull/lift a heavy furniture/dresser table that is just slightly lower than the level of your hand by the side of your body. It should be heavy enough that it won't budge.

    Stand with your affected side foot close to the lifting point, then attempt to lift with the affected side hand at about 75 degrees off horizontal. Only your hand/forearm muscles should be tight, while the upper arm and shoulder muscles should be as relaxed as possible for this to work. If done right, you should be able to hear a loud click from the AC joint as it partially subluxes upwards. Don't be alarmed the first time you hear and feel this ... but you should feel some relief immediately afterwards. I do this stretch several times a day...

  15. #83
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,109
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I tried that at work - no crack!

  16. #84
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,246
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Make sure the object is heavy enough that it won't budge.

    It doesn't matter if it doesn't click the first few times, eventually it will... just make sure your upper arm and shoulder muscles are relaxed when doing this.

    And even if it doesn't click, stretching this sub acromial joint is beneficial for relieving any supraspinatus tendon irritation.

  17. #85
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,109
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    work desk - I think it's screwed down; it certainly aint budging!

    I will do it a few more times. I did concentrate to ensure only forearm muscles used to maintain grip on desk.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Similar Threads

  1. racket post-violent clash syndrome
    By kwun in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 21
    : 12-14-2012, 10:51 AM
  2. patellofemoral pain syndrome??
    By Tony Liu in forum Injuries
    Replies: 0
    : 10-31-2011, 03:15 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    : 11-13-2009, 03:59 AM
  4. link between compartment syndrome and shin splints
    By i_love_you in forum General Forum
    Replies: 0
    : 11-03-2004, 03:29 AM
  5. tournament withdrawl syndrome.
    By kwun in forum 2003 Tournaments
    Replies: 4
    : 11-18-2003, 06:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •