Lower leg pain (lower tibia/shin)

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by bakulaw, Jul 19, 2012.

1. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

Hi guys,

I play 2 to 3 times per week. (2 to 3 hours per session). Sessions are usually 1 to 2 days apart (no consecutive day sessions.

I've been experiencing slight pain on my lower leg.
    I feel a slight dull/soreness throughout my calf area. This could be due to overuse and I'm not overly troubled by this pain. This usually goes away after a day's rest.

Additionally, I tend to feel a different kind of pain on my "lower tibia/shin" area. (lower 1/2 area of the shin).
    I feel a sharp pain whenever I apply a slight pressure (via pressing a finger).

Any of you have the same symptoms? How'd you treat it?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

do you get this pain when playing, running etc?

3. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

no pain during the game itself.
    pain is most pronounced a day after a session.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

sounds like mild case of shin splints

from repetitive impact of your feet on hard surface

wear thicker socks or shoes with better impact absorption

if you're playing on hard floors like cement or unsuspended wood floors, then you've got to stop and switch to rubber mats or suspended wood floor

5. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

Thanks a lot. I did a quick check on the symptoms of the "shin splints syndrome". They're basically what I'm experiencing!

I'm supposedly using shoes with good impact absorption (YY SHB-102's). I also use thick socks (just 1 layer though).

Badminton courts here are quite limited. Only hardwood floors are available.

I'll have to investigate further to find a remedy. I plan to do strengthening exercises and loose a couple of pounds (easier said than done, though).

6. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Sprinters tend to get shin splints more than long distance runners as there is a technical difference. In sprinting the force is taken on the fore foot and long distance the heal tends to land first. You may want to check that when you lunge forward that you land with your heal first. There is very limited research to prove that training shoes make any real difference to the percentage of injuries sustained. In fact the American Army did research on this for 2-3 years without any improvement in total number of injuries. The main advantage is the contact with the floor, non slip, and reduce risk of turning your ankle, ie the edges of badminton trainers need to be rounded which they are. You wouldn't want to wear running shoes.