Taufik Hidayat's Attitude and Opinion about the All England

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by repentedboy, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    [video=youtube;EYMn7QW3Mug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMn7QW3Mug&feature=g-all-u[/video]

Watch Taufik's interview and pay attention to every word he uttered when he was asked to comment about his achievements.

After claiming he had won every major title in badminton (WHICH IS NOT TRUE because he has not helped Indonesia to win Sudirman Cup, World Super Series Finals, World Cup, World Grand Prix Finals and LAST BUT NOT least the All England). In fact he has not even won a Premier title.

He said he has not won the All England and reiterated All England is just a SS except that the name is different like literally.

What kind of attitude does that being reflected from his words? If he is deliberately trying to de-glorify the tournament to cover himself just because he has not won it after 12 attempts, then he has become disrespectful to almost every top player in the world; by saying top players in the winner's list; to name a few: Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei and Peter Gade. Oh no he has also indiscriminately discredited the achievements of his own fellow countrymen; Rudy Hartono followed by Ardy and Arbi.

That doesnt make him look and sound so great as a sportsman; overall does it?

What do you guys think? Pro-taufik fans, let's get it. Go !

#1 repentedboy, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. repentedboy

student la
    Fast forward to 12:58 to watch his interview.

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

As far as I m concerned, Taufik is the greatest. He has won the big titles early, without assists and all outside his homeground. He s the most naturally gifted badminton MS, wowing the crowds at an early age. He has the courage to continue playing all over the world, (after having won all that matters to him) knowing he s likely to lose to a youngster, so they can brag that they have defeated the most talented Taufik.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

:p..another thread to lure all the Taufik supporters out from the closet..

Btw, just to add a few more INA MS players who've won the AE:
    Tan Joe Hok (the very 1st INA player to win the AE) & Liem Swie King,

5. rosid

rosid Regular Member

Student
    so what?
    [​IMG]

not important for me.

6. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

689.jpg

(Oh, not LCW anymore?) Yeah, like we care what you think.

*Just a little humour ;)

7. repentedboy

student la
    I set this up because personally I believe he has made an inappropriate statement so the thread is open for discussion and debate.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That is a very troll like statement to make.

9. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Taufik is the most naturally gifted badminton MS player in the world. Even LD relies heavily on his teammates to win titles and knockout bogey opponents that he seems to lose to.

I can honestly say Taufik did everything ON HIS OWN from day 1 in his career. He can hardly rely on his teammates to beat CHN players or players he most likely fail in fitness wise to.

I would rate Taufik's achievements ( including 2 All England finals which he lost in 99 and '00 ) as the greatest in the modern era because his style of play is distinct to other players and he didn't copy anybody's movements or shots.

Since 14 years ago, it was more like Taufik vs The Rest of the World because of all the CHN players and also some europeans who often had many things going their way like modern day faster shuttle cocks, 21 point system which didn't favor Taufik's fitness level, and also super series tournaments which didn't limit number of CHN players or players from one country playing in them as opposed to the old Grand Prixs.

Coupled with all this and he's not so perfect fitness levels, he still managed to produce the fastest smash and backhand smash in the world today.

I don't care if he only won the All England silver medal twice. He is the best in my mind. Too bad right now we have the CHN stereotype only that can do well in badminton. The previous days of the 15 point system are gone and with it it's talent in that era.

10. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Although I'm not a Chinese supporter, but what I do like is that they have the right mentality which is why they are successful... their organisation has trained them well mentally

Indonesia needs to start cracking the whip on their players who are really setting back at the moment... 30 years ago even China couldn't even touch them, but look at them now... I mean, what happened?

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

While I understand your effusive praise of Taufik,you've to spoil it by uttering inanities like the above that fly in the face of facts. Suffice for me to point out that when Taufik and even more so Lee CW can win titles all by themselves,all the more Lin Dan can and he has proven it time and time again by beating none other than these two great players, which his teammates struggled against one time or the other. For me to elaborate further is to show you disrespect.

You should do well to be reminded of what Peter Gade and Lee Hyun Il said about Lin Dan as well as what Taufik himself said of LD after the 2010 Asian Games,if I remember correctly,something to the effect that the way LD played and won that championship would make him the gold medallist at London Olympics.

As for the old scoring system of 15-points, I should say fitness level is even more demanding than the new 21-point system as you can only score point on serve, so oftentimes the match drags on,sometimes for hours, as the players ding-dong in gaining back service. Therefore, Taufik's "not so perfect fitness level", which I have to say is a recent phenomenon of his the last one-two years,is not such a disadvantage to him as before.

Don't forget, China, like the traditional powerhouses INA and MAS,for example, also started from zero to hero, first with only one or two world class players before reigning supreme with many top players. Whatever advantage that gives the dominant force is the natural development of things, no-one should be faulted,not CHN nor INA nor MAS in the past. Is it CHN's or INA's or MAS' fault that they each in their heydays have so many top class players that the rest of the world cannot deal with?

Simply put,you become the best in the world by beating all your opponents of whatever nationality in one-on-one combat, the same goes for your teammates who have their own opponents to take care of, and, compatriots or not, they all want to win titles for themselves too.

To me,Lin Dan is simply the greatest for the titles he has won, the opponents he's bested ,and the way he plays - period.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Taufik's career began its descent when he publicly promised "I do" to Ami G. & had their 1st baby..

*Also, Taufik's lack of fitness had already shown much more earlier than the last 1-2 yrs...it literally began right after his last major win in the 2006 AG..

#12 ctjcad, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  13. repentedboy

student la
    You just do not get it do you

Dude, if you wanna argue who is the greatest and keep insisting this that; go somewhere else please ?

This thread is about this guy making some statements that can viewed as disrespectful to quite a lot of players that worked extremely hard to win the All England tournament.

Nobody including me talked or challenged the Olympic and World championship he won.

Is about what he said and how people react to what he said about All England. Check the thread topic closely before you comment. Please.

14. julianng

julianng Regular Member

ok, regarding the all england comment, I believe Taufik is reserved the right to his opinion. If you look at it, All England is not like last time when there wasn't World Championships or Olympics to prove who is the best in the world. So back then, All England prestige was way up there like WC, OG because it was the only few tournament that had all the best players. So of course the reputation of the All England has declined from last time.

Also, All England prize is much less compared to other SS tournaments these days like Korea Open, Msia Open, Indonesia Open which offer more than All England in prize money.

So, Taufik was kind of right to say All England is just like a usual super series tournament, maybe even less these days. No disrespect to previous All England winners though, but I can understand why Taufik said this.

15. sen

sen Regular Member

I was rather reluctant at first to watch and comment.

But curious to hear it. After I watched it and my comment is that first, it was translated to English language. Second, everyone is entitled to their opinion on the tournaments. Third, Taufik was saying another thing after that statement so don't just focus on the part of it(but I need to listen to his words, not translation to comment further)

Also, Taufik did not have the right disciplines and attitude. Not really someone to be highly regarded as sportsman. But we can be amazed at his natural "gifts"

He was quite well known for late night partying(before his married days) and arguments with coaches so actually when he won tournaments, I was surprised and not the other way

#15 sen, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

So where does Taufik stand in my pantheon of badminton heroes?

To me,he is the greatest INA badminton player,greater even than Liem Swie King and Hartono (am in no way disparaging him,it's just that badminton during his time was using less advanced equipment including training facility, and the level of competition not as high or intense,not his fault at all).

As for Taufik's place in history, I rate him as one of the greatest and,you guessed it, below Lin Dan, Zhao Jianhua, and Lee CW,but among the rest.

Back to the topic proper. Certainly, Taufik like everyone is entitled to his own opinion but assertion isn't the same as proof. As sen alerted,hoped Taufik's words weren't mistranslated or misrepresented.

True, in the past,the AE is the de facto world championship but eversince the BWF(formerly IBF) institued the World Championships, the AE is relegated to one of the major Superseries Premiers,still everyone of which is attended by practically all the top players;that speaks volumes for the strength of the tournament. Therefore,the AE today continues to enjoy a special place or prestige for its illustrious history,long tradition and nostalgia - on this aspect,even someone as young as LXR felt so in her post-match interview of her maiden, historic AE'12 victory.

In other words,the AE isn't just any ordinary SS; however,it will become so if one day more and more top players are giving it a miss,hopefully it won't come to that.

17. repentedboy

student la
    Whether the emergence of new tournaments or introduction of Olympics have degraded the tournament, it's not true.

It's the opinion of many and the participation that matters. All England's attraction is not the money but the prestige.

Then why so many top players (or actually all of them) bother to travel thousands miles by plane to such an expensive place like UK to compete in a tournament that does not really reward so much in terms of money.
    It's the prestige and history of the tournament that made the game so special.

He is entitled to his opinion; however majority people will disagree with him and even BWF and snubbish white people will think "what's this guy on about".
    My take is he is deliberately saying this just because he never won it and he will never do after 12 years. It's an opinion that most people will find disagreeable
    and most importantly with the high possibility reflect what type personality is he as a sportsman.

I do not hear Pele saying Olympics is just like an ordinary tournament just because he never won it despite winning 3 World Cups.

18. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

of course he is right in that the only difference is the name

it does not require a higher skill or performance to win all england than to win other super series tournaments

its a thing of prestige that is created by media and publicity..people who rather sit and watch instead of moving their own ass
    but taufik speaks as a sportsman and from that perspective he is right...its not harder to win all england than a lot of other tournaments with far less prestige

19. repentedboy

student la
    Based on your logic, the winners would have been very diverse and there will be a lot of unknown names in the winner list

Apart from Gopichand and Hafiz Hashim, I only see Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei as the only legit top players to win it.

If it's not so hard, why he cant win it and another thing, if it's not so important and he is not bothered, why he should bother attending the tournament to lose? That's not a very reasonable thing to do.

To me, he is just giving excuses and nope it has nothing to do with him winning the OG and WC.

20. repentedboy

student la
    To add to that, so you are also directly saying Rudy Hartono's eight titles are just a walk in a park and he doesnt need to train so hard for it. (though i would agree with you on this because back then his worthy opponents can be counted with five fingers lol!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.