Malaysian Open: Chong Wei's turn

Discussion in 'Singapore / Indonesia / Malaysia Open 2003' started by whizkelv, Sep 5, 2003.

1. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

MM Highlight: SPORT HIGHLIGHT
    Badminton/Malaysian Open: Chong Wei's turn
    Graig Nunis

Chunlai yesterday ousted world champion Chen Hong in straight games while Chong Wei beat Denmark’s Niels Christian Kaldau 15-7, 15-3 for his first ever quarter-final appearance in an Open tournament.

Chong Wei had earlier survived a tough second round match against Roslin Hashim before winning 13-15, 15-9, 17-15.

“I was dead tired after my first match and rushed back to the hotel to catch some much needed rest,” said Chong Wei.

“I felt sore against Kaldau but I sensed he also was feeling tired. That is why I went all out to finish the match in straight games.”

On his quarter-final match today, he said: “Of course I am envious to see my contemporary doing so much better than I.

“Chunlai won the world junior in 2000 while I was a semifinalist.

“Since then, he has gone on from strength to strength while I have not moved much.

“I hope to change that tomorrow (today).”

Asked about his game plan, Chong Wei said he must dictate the pace of the match.

“I must not allow him to use his speedy play as he can kill the shuttle quite fast,” said Chong Wei, crowned national champion in January.

“I am feeling confident and after getting this far, hope to go all the way to the final.

“It is not going to be easy but I have nothing to lose.”

2. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

It's a dream came true for Lee CW!:)

Nunis has mistaken the world champ as Chen Hong, it's actually Xia whom has been ousted!:mad: