User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 20
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Rackets in Singapore

    Hello everyone.
    I have just signed up as a member of Badminton Central. Really good site that I have been following for a few months.

    Would like some help from badminton players in SINGAPORE.
    Someone previously wrote that Bras Basah Complex is the place to go for buying of rackets.
    With so many fake rackets going around is it possible for vendors to sell fake rackets at the same price as genuine rackets?
    At Bras Basah there is this shop called Ranking Sports. Are they reliable? Are the rackets that they sell genuine?
    Their price they quoted for an MP100 which they claimed is genuine was S$160 and I got it from them. The serial number did not end with SP.
    My friend went to Weston Sports in Peninsula and the guy there quoted me the same price. All the rackets at Weston carried serial numbers with SP.
    Was worried that I got a fake. The shaft of mine did print "Made in Japan" though.
    Could badminton fans in S'pore advise me?
    Also when and where do you all play? Am looking for people to play in Clementi area on Fridays

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ranking is quite reliable, although I dont think I would buy from them again. For two reasons-
    1. Singapore prices are higher than what you can get in Malaysia, (not their fault) so any Singapore shop price will probably be higher than what you can get.
    2. I bought a YangYang Master Muscle 88 from them, and I suspect due to poor stringing the racket was just awful. Anyway I took it back to the shop, and reluctantly they took it back (was in great condition) and let me exchange it for a Ti Woven Fighter.. but upon later inspection, the racket had some damage on it, so I suspect that it was a used racket! Its ok though, I like the racket at least.

    I doubt your racket is a fake though, as long as its Yonex with a serial #. Maybe look up the thread on Yonex serials and make sure the numerical pattern is correct. No serial = fake. SP is just one of many different distribution codes, although Im surprised your one isnt SP..

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thank you, Khengsan.

    Could try another vendor then next time.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    At this point, Im not buying anymore new rackets

    Will probably stick to used rackets for now since I have no more money

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Taipei & Los Angeles
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    does Ranking Sports have a website?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    no it does not have....I did a search(none was found)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post

    well sp is the code for being made in singapore if im not wrong.however since you bought your bag in ranking it should have put made in singapore but i dont know why they din put it.saw from other treads that the 10n10 shop in bras basah also sells mp100 but made in thailand so dont be so worried first.and about the fake rackets as long as they do not name the racket the same as yonex.anyway its also a brand by itself so it can name any name it likes too.sorry im in hougang so dun think we have a chance to play together.
    Quote Originally Posted by elvinlwj
    Hello everyone.
    I have just signed up as a member of Badminton Central. Really good site that I have been following for a few months.

    Would like some help from badminton players in SINGAPORE.
    Someone previously wrote that Bras Basah Complex is the place to go for buying of rackets.
    With so many fake rackets going around is it possible for vendors to sell fake rackets at the same price as genuine rackets?
    At Bras Basah there is this shop called Ranking Sports. Are they reliable? Are the rackets that they sell genuine?
    Their price they quoted for an MP100 which they claimed is genuine was S$160 and I got it from them. The serial number did not end with SP.
    My friend went to Weston Sports in Peninsula and the guy there quoted me the same price. All the rackets at Weston carried serial numbers with SP.
    Was worried that I got a fake. The shaft of mine did print "Made in Japan" though.
    Could badminton fans in S'pore advise me?
    Also when and where do you all play? Am looking for people to play in Clementi area on Fridays

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elvinlwj
    Hello everyone.
    I At Bras Basah there is this shop called Ranking Sports. Are they reliable? Are the rackets that they sell genuine?
    Their price they quoted for an MP100 which they claimed is genuine was S$160 and I got it from them. The serial number did not end with SP.
    Ranking Sports has been around since I was in secondary school - don't think they sell fake stuff (mebbe parallel imports from Thailand etc).
    If you racket is not "SP" - what is it ?
    "IP" is also sometimes used by Sunrise.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Jurong
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shawn30_k
    well sp is the code for being made in singapore if im not wrong.however since you bought your bag in ranking it should have put made in singapore but i dont know why they din put it.saw from other treads that the 10n10 shop in bras basah also sells mp100 but made in thailand so dont be so worried first.and about the fake rackets as long as they do not name the racket the same as yonex.anyway its also a brand by itself so it can name any name it likes too.sorry im in hougang so dun think we have a chance to play together.
    Just to clarify, I dun think there is any racket that is made in singapore. SP is the area distribution code. SP(s'pore), TH(thailand), IP etc etc ... ALL top ends yonex are made in japan. Lower ends made in taiwan, those they will write 'develope by yonex, japan' and at the green bottom, write 'made in taiwan'

    If u are thinking any diff bet the sp, jp etc etc ... lots of theory and argument behind it. Up to you to believe, IMHO, all are the same ... simply code differently to distinguish the area, something like dvd code 3/1. Perharps just diff in grip size for the diff group of pple. Of course they are pple who insist sp/th feels diff, well, even 2 sp does not feel the same, so?

    As for fakes, pls note they are 2 sets of number, one set on the shaft and one set on the cone, only the one on the cone has the SP/HK/JP etc ... both sets of number are engraved. Else it's fake. I did saw one fake mp100 in bras basah, really exactly the same except the serial are printed not engraved, and the YY logo on the frame is diff colour, yellow instead of silver I think. The guy show to me just to let me see the diff.

    Just beware.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    MY
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi guys,
    I went to Racket World yesterday in KL, and I ask around the price of rackets... and AT700 going for RM650 and mp99 RM575 both are SP, so that comes to about SD$280 and SD$250 respectively...
    So I asked them how come the rackets in Malaysia are so expansive compared to rackets sold in Singapore.... (as I have asked around other shops in Malaysia... they are roughly around that priace)
    Then they ask me the price range in Singapore for comparison as I was in Singapore 3 weeks ago.... and I told them the price for AT700(SP) is around SD$240 and MP99(SP) SD$220 (places such as Queensway and Bras Basah), straight away they just told me those rackets sold at that price are all fake.... because SP rackets are order from the same distributor and should vary about 5% only... And they also came to a conclusion that my AT700TH racket($220) bought in Gala was fake too. They also commented that the the free bag (black and silver word) is a good hint that the racket is fake, so they came to a conclusion that I got cheated. And insist me to bring my racket to them for a check up~
    So are these people just being rude and trying to protect their buisness? Can someone here enlighten me?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    284
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi,

    i do not think the TH racket you bought from gala is fake.
    In Singapore, most baddie shops selling yonex products as discussed in the forum are trusted as their reputation is at stake.

    I guess they need to find an excuse to account for their more expensive price, correct? They will not tell u "here, i sell more expensive coz i want higher profit margin or i want to rip u off".

    I guess in Singapore, it is cheaper coz more competition among retailers maybe. And also, in KL, demand may be less, so they order less as compared to bigger bulk orders in some Singapore shops.

    I will say just do not bring your racket to show them Just take a pic of it and put it in the forum here, im sure many people here can testify whether it is genuine.

    Regards

    CS

    Quote Originally Posted by Simp84
    Hi guys,
    I went to Racket World yesterday in KL, and I ask around the price of rackets... and AT700 going for RM650 and mp99 RM575 both are SP, so that comes to about SD$280 and SD$250 respectively...
    So I asked them how come the rackets in Malaysia are so expansive compared to rackets sold in Singapore.... (as I have asked around other shops in Malaysia... they are roughly around that priace)
    Then they ask me the price range in Singapore for comparison as I was in Singapore 3 weeks ago.... and I told them the price for AT700(SP) is around SD$240 and MP99(SP) SD$220 (places such as Queensway and Bras Basah), straight away they just told me those rackets sold at that price are all fake.... because SP rackets are order from the same distributor and should vary about 5% only... And they also came to a conclusion that my AT700TH racket($220) bought in Gala was fake too. They also commented that the the free bag (black and silver word) is a good hint that the racket is fake, so they came to a conclusion that I got cheated. And insist me to bring my racket to them for a check up~
    So are these people just being rude and trying to protect their buisness? Can someone here enlighten me?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    MY
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have chekce the serial and the paintjob on my racket, and I know for sure it is genuine...

    However those people told me that those fakes can even duplicate the exact rackets even the nicely engraved serials.... And they say the genuine racket has a barcode inside (anyone heard of this?)???

    At that point I was couldn't be bothered arguing.... As I already cheked my serial with people in this forum and its genuine

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simp84
    I have chekce the serial and the paintjob on my racket, and I know for sure it is genuine...

    However those people told me that those fakes can even duplicate the exact rackets even the nicely engraved serials.... And they say the genuine racket has a barcode inside (anyone heard of this?)???

    At that point I was couldn't be bothered arguing.... As I already cheked my serial with people in this forum and its genuine
    I append below for your viewing:

    http://free.hostdepartment.com/b/bluejeff/

    Item 12 would be interesting to you as it show photographs of the bar code sticker on a fake Yonex (Model?) and also on a real MP77. If they take the trouble to fake racket, they can also produce fake bar code sticker (hopefully with a wrong spelt word like "TATANIUNM" to give way dirty trick).

    I think I have keyed the information of your racket AT700 to my list of serial nos. and date codes real Yonex rackets.

    You are a real gentleman of not arguing with other when you are confident with the authenticity of your racket.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    MY
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leehsim
    I append below for your viewing:

    http://free.hostdepartment.com/b/bluejeff/

    Item 12 would be interesting to you as it show photographs of the bar code sticker on a fake Yonex (Model?) and also on a real MP77. If they take the trouble to fake racket, they can also produce fake bar code sticker (hopefully with a wrong spelt word like "TATANIUNM" to give way dirty trick).

    I think I have keyed the information of your racket AT700 to my list of serial nos. and date codes real Yonex rackets.

    You are a real gentleman of not arguing with other when you are confident with the authenticity of your racket.
    I am not able to verify the bar code as shops like Gala usually dont have the wrapper on the grip....

    Even they prove its fake theres nothing much I can do u know hehe...
    However, I am confident it is a genuine racket thanks to the tips offered here and the verification of serial code by you

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Apparently from what i have heard, the bar codes found on the inside of the original grip is used for warranty claims. I am not sure how true this is but the bar code sticker provides the model with weight as well. For example, (Ti 10 2u5).

    As per source in sunrise India, the bar codes (also, i presume) are verified to check whether they are original or not. There has been bar codes on the handle even before the Laser engraving started. The older rackets used to have a serial number in either 4 or 5 digits followed by a Huge 3,4 or 5 to denote the grip size.

    So what the seller is saying is perfectly right. IF the racket is a Brilliant copy (fake) that most of us cant identify then yonex has kept a last measure in its handle that will give away the clue. So yonex will not honour a Fake racket warranty claim. But i think from what you say it looks like your racket is not a fake. So rest assured.

    Hope this helps

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore,Bangkok
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    IMHO, any brick and mortar shop in SINGAPORE will not display/sell a fake racket unless they like to court trouble with the law.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,135
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simp84
    I am not able to verify the bar code as shops like Gala usually dont have the wrapper on the grip....
    No plastic wrapping? Shops might pass off used rackets as new ones then...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS/FT: WTS/WTT Various Rackets (Singapore)
    By yeomxb in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 2
    : 10-12-2011, 01:49 AM
  2. FS: Rackets in Singapore.
    By Notnimdab729 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 4
    : 08-22-2010, 12:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •