All England 2013: Some questions for the "first time"

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2013' started by Accordaz, Jul 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Hi guys

I'm (unfortunately) not that long in playing badminton with that much passion as yet.
    My very first badminton tournament I've been (as a visitor:D) was this year's Swiss Open (GP Gold)-tournament.
    I really really liked the atmosphere and the fact that you're almost next to all these superstars. It's much more entertaining than watching the matches in front of a monitor:p
    And especially I've learnt my backhand just by viewing Taufik's one :D So, it was also kinda helpful to me ;)

Well, I've heard Swiss Open is peanuts compared to All England - what I really could imagine.
    So, I've many questions to the coming tournament - by the way: They already have started to sell their tickets!:eek: I'm kinda "shocked", because there are still more than 7 months to go / wait! That's why I've already purchased the last two lower and hopefully good seats for the semi-finals.

Here we go:

- Lower vs. upper seats: Big difference? Which one do you prefer and why?
    - VIP-Ticket: Is it worth it? 90£! C'mon, that's one brand new racket! :eek:
    - Are the VIP-seats very popular? Fully occupied or rather just to the half of all vip-seats?
    - Are the seats and the tickets numbered? If yes, all categories? VIP only? Premium A only? A only?
    - If they state: "Doors open at 11:00 AM", is that real or is it possible to go in earlier? This is especially nice to know if the tickets are not numbered to specific seats.
    - Will there be a big queue before the doors open? Shall we be there 1 hour before the doors open?
    - Would you watch badminton during 3 days in a row? QF, SF, F? Or would it be too much?
    - England is expensive. Like Switzerland :eek: Are the foods and drinks there very overpriced or still acceptable?

to be continued...:p

I hope some experienced AE-visitors can answer all my questions:) I would really appreciate it.

Accordaz

P.S. Feel free to correct my english, if necessary:rolleyes: - yes, I'm serious;)
    -

2. Chimmey

Chimmey Regular Member

IT
    If you want close to the action you should try one of the earlier days when you can sit and watch any match you want from anywhere. I think once you reach the Semi's the seats are numbered. Having been several times I think all seats give a good view but I have no experience of the VIP stuff. England is expensive with the things like Hotels & Taxis but food will be whatever you want to pay, fast food is in the venue (burger & chips ect) for a fiver or so but you are allowed to leave the venue, and you are in walking distance from all the usual pubs & takeaways etc. You might want to have a look around anyway as there is little to do in the arena. All the stands are Yonex at full RRP and thats about it.
    I do thoroughly recommend going, but don't forget this is a big arena so you may not quite have the atmosphere that you had before - although if you sit near the Indonesian crowd you will know about it!
    Hope that helps
    Dave
    PS your English is excellent

3. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Hey Chimmey. Finally an answer after > 50 views!
    Thanks for sharing!:) Nice to know that visitors are allowed to go outside of the arena.
    You've been several times but you just "think" they are numbered? How should I interpret that? >_<"

What do you mean with "you may not quite have the atmosphere that you had before"? I'm expecting many many badminton superstars (especially LD, LCW and Cai & Fu), matches at highest level and a lot bigger crowds than in Swiss Open's. I wanna hear some loud "Qia You"'s and "Boleh"'s :D
    Do I expect too much? :D

I'd really appreciate it if someone could answer my questions related to the seats and the possible queue before the doors open.

4. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Hey guys. Finally I have my tickets for the Semi-Finals and the Finals now! :)

Could someone explain the hospitality seats in details? You get superb view (right behind the court), right?
    What about this breakfast or afternoon tea champion package? Do they allow you to have a breakfast there or is it just a little buffet with delicacies? Is it allowed to have a breakfast AND a tea there.

General question: If the seats are numbered, usually you don't have to worry about your seat, right? You don't need to reserve your booked seat 30 minutes before beginning?

5. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

May someone answer my open questions?

(to admin / moderators: Do you want to move this topic to the AE 2013 discussion room?)

6. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Another question. What about delays? They're expecting to be finished at 05.00 PM (17.00). Do they regularly have delays of over 1 hour?
    I ask because we're going to travel to London right after the finals.

7. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    It varies on how long the matches go on for. The first year I went (2010) they were massively delayed, by over 2 hours if I remember correctly, which I might not be. It may have been one... I had to run off to get the last train home (I lived near Reading at the time), which was about 7pm ish and they finally finished at about 7:30pm?

Last year due to Lee Chong Wei's retirement they finished a bit early, again I think... Although I'm glad they did or I would have been walking home as loads of Birmingham local trains were cancelled. The national train services were still fine though.

I would anticipate on them finishing late, by how much is hard to say. If you can get a train timetable/ whatever you are travelling by timetable and just look at when the last train/ bus/ whatever is to London and when the next one is leaving from when the tournament finishes. I wouldn't make any absolute plans, just some rough ones.

Also make sure to check for rail/ road works that might delay your travel. For train times and possible rail works in the UK the website is:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

8. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Thank you Sevex (and thanks to whoever has moved this topic to this actual discussion room:))

Well, then I'd better expect a delay of generous calculated 2 hours. On the one hand I'd like to tell my Hotel in London that I will check-in at xx:xx pm, on the other hand in Advance booked train tickets seem to be a lot cheaper, that's why I'm also asking.

Thank you again. Now I can be pretty sure not to book a rail ticket to London right after or just 1 hour only after their expected finish time.

Would you mind to share your experience with the (numbered) seats? Are there people who are trying to sit on your seat with purpose? Do I have to be there very early to avoid the people mass or to avoid people trying to sit on my seat?
    Is it problematic if we're coming 30 minutes after the start? I'm asking this because we're landing in Birmingham right before the AE starts.

Oh well, does someone know how the so called hospitality ticket "works"? Is there another entrance for these (wannabe)VIP-spectators?

Wow... So many questions. Let's see if all my questions can be answered :) I'd appreciate every tips and tricks you guys are sharing here.

9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The numbered seat are numbered seats, that's all. Good thing about them is that you get a confirmed seat (unnumbered seats may get hijacked). The not so good thing is that in the system, you can't actually select the exact seats you want.

My preference had always been the upper tier seats, gives me a good angle to, err, criticize bad line calls. :p Some lower tier seats tend to block your view, or the barge board gets in the way of the near baseline.

The hospitality seat is supposed to have the best view + other privileges including food and VIP area, but note that food is not to be consumed in the Arena. Not really worth it in my opinion.

30 minutes before schedule is fine - as long as you have numbered tickets, you should get the seat. Even if someone were to do a spot of hijacking, you could always get assistance from strict event personnel with good eyes to detect illegal usage of camera.

The atmosphere at the All England is decently boisterous, but if you've been to Asia (specifically Indonesia, Malaysia, China), it's probably still considered mild. However the cheering teams have been more organized and now they come from all over the world. No longer do you just see pockets of energetic Indonesians, Malaysians, Chinese and Danish supporters among the, ahem, mild mannered Brits.

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    On finals day, it is typical to budget 6 hours to complete 5 finals + prize presentations + lucky draw for spectators. It could be as early as 4 hours if the matches are practical walkovers, or 7 hours if all 5 matches go the distance.

The finals this year start at 11 am.

11. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    You might get the odd opportunistic person "borrowing" your seat if it is vacant for any length of time, especially if it has a good view. But they usually give a sheepish grin when you return and will happily move.

What do you mean by the arena? I'm not rich enough to know where the hospitality seats are :p You can eat food in the normal seats, unless they have changed the rules, which would be a right pain or everyone has been breaking them for years.

The security can occasionally be a bit overzealous but I suppose that's what you have to put up with at the moment in any large arena.

The Brits aren't all mild mannered we don't just cheer politely whilst eating tea and scones. We just can't compete with the Malaysians and their drums!

12. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

I'm glad this topic is running a little bit more now :) Especially this topic could help other "first time" AE-visitors too.

I considered hospitality tickets for the finals since my girlfriend really really wanted the very best view and the "normal" premium seats were already sold out, so I didn't have any alternatives :rolleyes:
    For Semi-Finals I have the "normal" premium seats, which are also numbered.

So according you nice people, the seats could be hijacked, but PROBABLY nobody would stay on it if we come back. And still if they would get us in trouble, there are event persons around I can contact.

What about coming too late? Did someone experienced this? The flight could have delay, I hope not, is it a problem to join the arena after beginning of the first scheduled match?
    I know, probably not, but I'd just like to be confirmed with my supposing ^^

mild mannered brits = rather quiet supporters
    Correct? :D

Thanks again for all your inputs here :)

13. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

Coming late is not a problem, you can pop in anytime to your seats. It's just the matches that you miss. Not a big problem. *Its just like being late to the cinema*

14. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Going to be attending Friday and Saturdays games for the first time. Got tickets as a Christmas presents from my wife. Really looking forward to it. :D

15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    You will only be missing matches .... as ckyew mentioned.

The mild mannered Brits have, err, improved their enthusiasm for the game significantly since the 80s. So they are not so mild anymore, though still nowhere near as the British Premier League football crowd noise (which only an Indonesian badminton event could match).

Previously, watching a live match there was similar to watching Wimbledon tennis ...... pure silence during rallies, polite clapping after a point is won, and then pure silence again.

16. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hi,
    I will be also the first time at the All England Championchips on the semi finals day.
    My mate and I have a seat number on our ticket, and as I read before, getting the seat isn't a problem..?..
    So whats about the thing with the door open time and when the first match start?
    Is there such a long queue that we might have to wait 2 hours before getting into the arena?

Luckily our hotel is just 1 km away from the NIA, so we can easily walk to it.

I was several times at the Yonex German Open but I think you can't compare German Open with the All England Championchips :)

17. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

Doors open time means that the arena will be open to visitors to enter. As there usually are commercial booths with yonex gear from Central Sports. Badminton england also usually has a couple of booths dotted around the arena so feel free to go look at them before matches start. Also, there isn't much of a queue with entering the arena so that's not a problem.. Enjoy....