Clubs: If you suck, leave...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Rifu20, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Rifu20

Rifu20 New Member

I used to play in a social club where it is open to everyone. You pay $10 and you get to play in rotation with random people and they provide shuttles. Since the club grew larger, there is a gap between the pros and the average. The pros only wants to play with pros of coz. So the club leader decided to kick anyone who isn't above average. Pretty much, you go in, play one round with them and if you're not good enough, they just tell you to take your money and leave.

I dont believe this is a very nice way to deal with it and its quite rude as well. They dont even let you finish the session. Pretty much the players that play with you reports to the club leader and he just walks to you and asks you to leave.

Is this a normal practice in social clubs?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

if it's a privately run one, then they make the rules and have pretty much all the say

but if it's at a community centre/hall, then you can report it to the centre organizer

3. King's

King's Regular Member

Quite rude but at the very least you get your money back (all of it, I suppose). Usually, even in public sports centre, when playing rotations with all-comers, there is an unwritten rule about 'that' level of suckiness thingy, most people knows and are aware, some are offended by it, some accepts it and takes it as it comes.

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Over here there's gyms with let's say 8 courts. They'll reserve 2 courts to where the pros stay on basically. You win, you continue on there. The other 6 are rotations, you sign up, whenever 20 or 30 mins pass, you let other people use it, and resign up.

And there's a few gyms where if you win on a court, you stay on, but only a maximum of 3 matches or something.

5. King's

King's Regular Member

That is the better way of handling the issue, putting a cap on it...but most decent guys (and very good players) understand and usually are professional about it, they leave at their own accord (either they've finished their workout or can't find a suitable match but is respectful of others' court time nonetheless).:cool:

6. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

If the session is open for anyone (regardless of ability), then it is unacceptable to turn people away. If the 'pros' want to play amongst themselves, they can organize their own 'invitation-only' sessions.

As the club has grown, why not suggest splitting into different groups based on ability? If the club 'leader' doesn't listen, take the contact details of everyone else who's been rejected and start your own club.

7. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

I'd say it's a "normal" practice. Once you get enough members to support the club you can drop the "undesirables". It's happened here to a few clubs. I hate that hostile atmosphere. Even though I'd get better games (and improve faster) there I make it a point to join more friendly clubs and rat those clubs out to people who ask. Dropping members (especially the long standing ones) that have been supporting the club is just such an ungrateful and selfish act. I do not judge and do not wish to be judged.

8. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

on the bright side, these sulky unfair rules are giving you motivation to improve your skill if you wanna stay. try to think as part of job, you do well then you can stay longer. you lazy and no visible improvement then you gonna get fired eventually. Thanks to such unfair-rules that my skill increase tenfolds within short period of times. :)

afterall, life is never fair enough.

9. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

in my place, elders with thick-headed are the most upsetting one (50+ yrs old)! They insisted to play with pros (mostly youngers on their 30s) and never want to play with the similar age & ability. When it was out (clearly out even everybody says so) they say it's in and it MUST be IN at the end! when they hit out, it would be lucky enough if they keep quiet and accept their mistakes! when they lost, they insist to stay on court until win. when they win, they say they deserve to play with the next team pros (not always but most of the time).

too bad my club has only 2 courts and over 70% of the rental fees are paid off by these rich sulky elders (bunch of them!), while pros who paid less... can just only await for the time being invited. speaking of kids & beginner levels here? they can play too.... just outside the courts.. on empty space by the corner.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Is this a normal practice in social clubs?

Perhaps that place that you have visited is not a club (registered), but just a group of players playing together. Therefore, they can choose their players with whom they like to play together, or not.

Usually, for Sporting Clubs to be formed, they wish to promote the sports they are representing. Therefore, ALL players (weak, strong, beginner, experienced) are all invited.

Check the club's objective/policy.

11. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    well, it is not that expensive to rent a court..
    go to another place, go and play with your friend rather than these thick headed old men

it cost around 5 USD in Indonesia for 1 hour (or $10 at night)
    ask 3 people to play and you only need to pay 1.25 each for one full hour of excitement
    if you already work, then money is not the issue, find some friends and play with them
    IMO, Badminton is not only about winning, or how good you are, or how fast you grow, but it is also about the excitement, tension and fun
    it is not worth to play in a club like that

12. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    In reverse, if a club really wants you to join but you think there are other clubs better suited for you so you don't join... is the club allowed to get upset at you? are their members allowed to post negative comments about you online?

I actually like clubs who are picky about which members to accept. If I get told to leave, then I'll look for another, more suitable place, to play. No need to feel bitter about it.

13. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

well, it ain't that easy to find badminton hall nearby my home. Beside, the building only has 3 courts, with all of them are fully booked on monthly basis. But well, by God's bless, on couple years later i would start building my badminton building too... with 3 courts.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Our BC admin/moderators will know what I am talking about

If clubs/groups are picky about what members to accept, then they should keep them to themselves.

I have mentioned about this before, asking;

Why certain organisers are posting their places/clubs to play at BadmintonCentral, when not all BCers are welcomed. :eek::eek::eek:

BTW, our BC admin/moderators will know what I am talking about.
    ;););)

15. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    to the TS, just move on to play elsewhere. It is really not easy to draw a fine line between beginners and intermediate in most groups. Especially when most ppl who been playing for a while always think they r at least an intermediate and above. I generally play with my own groups of ex-colleagues nowadays, ever join those different groups to play with two years back. There are some that are more welcoming, but definitely there are some who thinks a world of themselves. end of the day, i play badminton to enjoy and be happy about it. no pt playing if u r unhappy about the environment.