Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    which is correct? move up whenever u

(a) anticipate a lift by your opponent
    (b) anticipate your opponent cannot attack anymore
    (c) anticipate a net shot by your opponent
    (d) play a net shot yourself
    (e) all of the above

i think nothing of it is correct

you dont run into position because you assume what your opponent is gonna do...when they play a defensive shot you have a lot of time to change into attacking position

if you play a net shot you stay in front when you played it from the front and you stay back when you made the net shot (drop) from the backcourt...

very simple stuff this double tactics..
    unfortunately ppl just dont know about it, i played with a sporty 50yr old guy yesterday, we crashed twice because he was so fking off to where he had to be
    i will let everybody hit the shuttle even when it is clearly mine but i dont have eyes in my back grr

he also went to the net after a flickserve which was very frustrating because he didnt change even after i told him to go aside after flickserve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OhSearsTower View Post
    i think nothing of it is correct

you dont run into position because you assume what your opponent is gonna do...when they play a defensive shot you have a lot of time to change into attacking position

if you play a net shot you stay in front when you played it from the front and you stay back when you made the net shot (drop) from the backcourt...

very simple stuff this double tactics..
    unfortunately ppl just dont know about it, i played with a sporty 50yr old guy yesterday, we crashed twice because he was so fking off to where he had to be
    i will let everybody hit the shuttle even when it is clearly mine but i dont have eyes in my back grr

he also went to the net after a flickserve which was very frustrating because he didnt change even after i told him to go aside after flickserve
    When i get people like that (just run around for everything or play like statue) I have to turn down my attack and just play for shot practice. No point in loosing a racquet just because your partner doesn't move correctly. I'm on my deep backhand defense and they just stand planted right at the service line "T". Or they lift to me and I smash down middle and he is STILL right next to me.

But anyway I agree with just wait to see their shot/positioning first. I believe you can creep up a little before their shot (like if it's their deep backhand or your smash return is a drop to open space) to cover drops but come prepared that because they might actually drive it right to your face.
    Last edited by dimcorner; 07-27-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    pcll99, what sort of player are you? do you like the net area or do you prefer rear court?
    rear court.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can empathize with OhSearsTower's pain. I generally play by the following principles:

If it is your partner's shot, you always move to an attacking position which complements where your partner is.

If it's your opponents' shot and all they can realistically do is either a net shot, block or lift, then you should be already in an attack formation.

If it's your opponents' shot and they can attack (i.e. hit down), you should move to a defensive formation. I'd also include situations where the opposition can play a flat, down-the-tramlines drive as ones where a defensive formation is better.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OhSearsTower View Post

What you said is correct, but you missed a situation: you should not normally stay back after you play a good net block (e.g. you receive a smash and play a block into space)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were a few times when I followed my shot in.

My partner and I were on the defense (side-by-side). I returned a smash with a net drop to the sidelines. The opponent net person was slow to react so I follow my shot in. The guy made a poor net return (pop-up) which allowed me to get a netkill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    Let's say in doubles (XD or MD), I am defending some smashes from the other side, should I move up front to the net whenever I anticipate a lift from the other side? when else should I move to the front?

where exactly should I move up to the net? always to the middle?
    #1 - if YOUR return is a net shot, then you will approach the net, no questions asked.

#2 - otherwise, if the opponent lifts to your partner ('s side), you should ease over closer to the middle and slightly to the front (but not base-line). You are not responsible for the next return of net shots and lifts to your side of the court. Your partner is only taking care of shots hit back to his side of the back court.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can think of at least one situation where a smash return net shot is not followed in.

If you are right handed and are on the right side of the court and the lift was straight in front of you and they smash to your right hip. Lets say you turn sideways to do a cross court forehand drop from your hip. No way are you going to get that drop and your partner is MUCH closer if he is already standing a bit in front of you. Plus you might have to turn my body all the way around AND potentially have to run through your partner to get that shot.

I think in this case your partner has to start going after the drop.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by longan_defense View Post
    #1 - if YOUR return is a net shot, then you will approach the net, no questions asked.

#2 - otherwise, if the opponent lifts to your partner ('s side), you should ease over closer to the middle and slightly to the front (but not base-line). You are not responsible for the next return of net shots and lifts to your side of the court. Your partner is only taking care of shots hit back to his side of the back court.

Oops, I had a typo... in #2 - it should say NOW instead of NOT.
    You would be responsible for covering 3/4th's of the court surface.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dimcorner View Post
    I can think of at least one situation where a smash return net shot is not followed in.

If you are right handed and are on the right side of the court and the lift was straight in front of you and they smash to your right hip. Lets say you turn sideways to do a cross court forehand drop from your hip. No way are you going to get that drop and your partner is MUCH closer if he is already standing a bit in front of you. Plus you might have to turn my body all the way around AND potentially have to run through your partner to get that shot.

I think in this case your partner has to start going after the drop.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMMZPNwa_g 26:20 (not quite the same)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I meant a smash that you get by your pocket, not in front.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2