Doubles: When to move to the front?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by pcll99, Jul 25, 2012.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Let's say in doubles (XD or MD), I am defending some smashes from the other side, should I move up front to the net whenever I anticipate a lift from the other side? when else should I move to the front?

where exactly should I move up to the net? always to the middle?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You move to the net when

1) you anticipate the netshot reply

Or

2) you want to force the opponent in making the decision to lift

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

If you are defending, you only go to the net if you play a (good) net block -> ie you should follow your shot in, or you are confident that the opponent will play a drop/poor smash that you can easily counter.

You should not be moving into the net before opponent has played the shot really, unless you have good knowledge of likelihood of next shot.

There is nothing more annoying than being in sides (XD) and then woman partner (on cross court side) rushes the net (or just stands still! :mad:), inevitably followed by cross-court clear and then they expect you to run over and dig out a lift/drive from knee high

cheung, surely moving to the net will more likely 'force' opponent to smash at you if they are any good, rather than clear?

On to there 'where' bit:
    If you are *predicting* a drop and going to the net before the shot, you should cover the straight shot.

If you are following in your shot then I would do it like this:
    (there is the assumption that you dont follow in your shot if it's a bad one that can be attacked/driven back to where you played your shot from)

You *need* to be able to cover the net reply - you're the only one at the net. So you would pretty much literally follow the shuttle.

That's my current take on it although I am happy to be educated :)

#3 amleto, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Amleto, I interpreted the OP's game situation as

A) opponent smashes
    B) OP returns and the opponent lifts the shuttle (I.e, underhand lift as opposed to an overhead clear)
    C) OP now wonders what to do

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

OP should be making the go/no-go to the net decision on his or his partners shot, not on opponent shot.

e: actually, that isn't true. If oppo lifts it to your partner, then you should already be moving to the net, preferably somewhere vaguely in line with your partner.

If oppo lifts it to you, then, err, dont go to the net :D

#5 amleto, Jul 25, 2012
  6. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

you go to the net when you expect your partner to make an attacking shot (smash, drop..when your partner is in the back court and not at the net himself obv)
    he should do that most of the times when you expect him to do it

when he makes a clear or lift tho then you have to go back side by side before opponent can make their (usually attacking) shot

7. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Move to the net if your team is on the attack. Sides if your team is on defence.

If it's a lift return to your partner...move to the net. Where?...I would think in the middle or closer to his side. Your partner should be smashing/dropping the lines or the middle. Hopefully not doing a cross-court smash/drop and putting you out of position. His goal is to get the other team to do a weak reply for you to finish it off.

8. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer

Agreed , is the anticipation of the next shot , that will decide if you should move forward , if your partner have a strong attack from the back than , be prepared to step forward.

Remember if your partner is right-handed -, he will move in for the next shot in an anti-clockwise direction , you only intercept those - on the right side - if you anticipate the next shot to be a weak block , a drop shot from your partner or opponent, or any shots that you feel that you are in a better position to take

#8 Staiger1, Jul 25, 2012
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think the replies have all varied because there is not enough clarity in the situation you have described. Can you give more detail? Are you just defending? Have you played defense return and what type of return have you played?

10. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

As has been stated by several others before, all of the following is reliant upon 'good' shots being played. If you or your partner play a loose shot which can be killed in the opposition's fore or mid court, I wouldn't approach the net. I would also protect my face with my racket.

If the shuttle is lifted or cleared to your partner, you always take up an attacking position in anticipation of a 'good' smash. Typically this is about a racket-length behind the service line and just on the same side of the center-line as your partner. If your partner plays a 'good' drop down-the-line or to the 't', you have time to take 1-2 small steps towards where the shuttle is going to land. If your partner clears, you have plenty of time to retake your defensive position (please don't call it 'sides'. I know the formation is roughly side-by-side, but the down-the-line defender should be a little deeper than their x-court partner). If your partner smashes or drops x-court, you need to move across and backwards slightly to cover a driven defense.

Other than that, you only move to the net to return a shot from your fore-court.

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    No.

my question is more general than that.

Let's say opponent smashes towards me, the next logical questions are:

(I) where should I return it?
    (II) after the return, under what circumstances should I move up to the net?

12. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

From my play:
    (I) where to return?
    Depends on how good you are and how good they are :)
    If they are good, sometimes you just have to clear it back (not the middle) and hope for the best. This is mostly when the smash is good/decent and the front court player is on his game.
    If not I look for a drop or push to the open spot, usually right in front of me. Really depends on how good you are. I also have a plan with contingency on where to put it before the smash happens. Usually before the smash I see where people are, and plan 3 shots. A forehand reply, a backhand reply, and a I didn't see that coming reply (which is the lift reply).

(II) depending on the return and their reaction you either follow it in, or stay put. If they can make you eat the shuttle... stay put. If the return is good and they can't smash it back, move in.

#12 dimcorner, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  13. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Moving forward to the net is VERY VERY crucial in doubles (MD, WD or MXD)

Of course there is no rule saying you must, but it's a suggested choice to dictate the game and regain the attacking momentum.

If you've watched Lee Yong Dae or Cai Yun, they will take ANY chance to move forward and initiate the counter attack.

A great way to move forward is when you anticipate a drop shot from ur opponent. If he/she is slow to move behind the shuttle or in no position to thunder a smash, then start to shuffle forward and once he/she drops, BANG, there's your chance to attack. You can possibly win alot of points with this, and if you don't, you'll set up for your partner behind who will finish the shot

Other ways to move forward is anticipating net blocks or drives when your opponent takes the shot late using an underarm action. You can move forward in this scenario since there is high chance he/she will return back to the net, which you can kill or attack

And return of serve as well. Receiver should always look to move forward

#13 Heong, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    is it right to say this:

move up front whenever your opponent cannot attack anyone?

15. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I would say move up when you think its safe to initiate attack.Opponents can still attack when off balance but it's much weaker and thus by you getting into attacking position you can counter better. For example a drive return to backhand side they can technically still attack but if they are standing further back AND they are not in attack formation then by all means jump up since you can probably deal with a backhand drive AND you nicely tell them that they really should not do drops since you are parked up front.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    which is correct? move up whenever u

(a) anticipate a lift by your opponent
    (b) anticipate your opponent cannot attack anymore
    (c) anticipate a net shot by your opponent
    (d) play a net shot yourself
    (e) all of the above

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

pcll99, what sort of player are you? do you like the net area or do you prefer rear court?

18. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i think nothing of it is correct

you dont run into position because you assume what your opponent is gonna do...when they play a defensive shot you have a lot of time to change into attacking position

if you play a net shot you stay in front when you played it from the front and you stay back when you made the net shot (drop) from the backcourt...

very simple stuff this double tactics..
    unfortunately ppl just dont know about it, i played with a sporty 50yr old guy yesterday, we crashed twice because he was so fking off to where he had to be
    i will let everybody hit the shuttle even when it is clearly mine but i dont have eyes in my back grr

he also went to the net after a flickserve which was very frustrating because he didnt change even after i told him to go aside after flickserve

19. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

When i get people like that (just run around for everything or play like statue) I have to turn down my attack and just play for shot practice. No point in loosing a racquet just because your partner doesn't move correctly. I'm on my deep backhand defense and they just stand planted right at the service line "T". Or they lift to me and I smash down middle and he is STILL right next to me.

But anyway I agree with just wait to see their shot/positioning first. I believe you can creep up a little before their shot (like if it's their deep backhand or your smash return is a drop to open space) to cover drops but come prepared that because they might actually drive it right to your face.

#19 dimcorner, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    rear court.