How do you Psych yourself up?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Dill, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    When you go in for a tournament, wether the first game is a straight knock out or in a pool. It is imperative you win it to give you a good start.

How do you gear yourself up to win it?

2. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

i have a little sheet that reminds me of everything i have to remember on the court. things i wrote down, and keep writing down when i think of a new one, simple stuff like keeping your eyes on the bird, always staying behind it. i find it actually helps to have all that stuff fresh in your mind before playing, because if you wait till you have to remember it on court, you will already be behind

3. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i just try to go into the match thinking i'm "going to win". However, if i know i'm facing someone that quite tough and skilled, I'll just have the mentality of going out onto the court to do my best and have fun. After, i always think back and think of what i could have done to get some points, to win, etc and try to practice all of the badminton essentials that might help me next time.

4. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I tell myself "I can do it!". And I'll be thinking that way until I win or lose. :D But if I know I got a really really tough opponent that's 99% sure to beat me, I'll sort of like, set a goal(eg. I must score at least 7 points).

5. graphite

graphite Regular Member

Student
    chub2003, can you list down the things you have on your sheet? I have a similar list and I would like to add or modify some more. :)

6. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

hehe lemme see

always keep your feet moving
    stay behind the bird all the time
    stay on your toes
    keep your racquet up
    always try to use your footwork
    stay low, dont stand tall
    always prepare early
    stay relaxed, dont tense up
    i got some other stuff but its pretty obvious. seems like a lot to remember but it really helps cause you kinda forget all the stuff when you have fun

7. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    By telling myself that i'm better than him, and could beat him easily...

i usually try to gain 5 pts. or more on him early in the game after that it's downhill.

8. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    I first listen to upbeat music and warmup. I don't know if anyone's seen the Park Joo Bong video that he made but the first song by Bryan Adams called "Summer of 69" is a really good song to warm up to (and then I pretend that I can play like him :)) After warming up to where I've worked up a sweat, I stretch on the sides and try to relax. If I psych myself up too much, I just wind up getting nervous and make dumb errors.

And then right before I step on the court I remind myself that I am playing to win but most importantly to have fun. When I first started playing in tournaments my main focus was to play to keep from losing. It was a really bad mentality and I didn't even know I had to until my coach pointed it out.

So my main advice for psyching out yourself is to remember why you play badminton in the first place.

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Music works for me too, I usually start with the theme music to triple H playing very loudly.

10. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hmm

every time i score a crucial point.. i cry out.. " WHOOooOoOo "

11. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Re: hmm

Don't you think your opponent will be irritated by your behavior?:D

12. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    that may be why he does it. ;) I yell stuff like "yeah" or "come on" occassionally when I'm in tough matches. But so do many people I know. So I don't feel bad about doing it. I wouldn't do it if I was playing someone where I was beating them 10-0. I guess yelling during a match depends when and how you do it.

13. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

You yell that to yourself?? I've yet to try it though. More like a silent player on the court. ;) Does it really help? I'll get pretty irritated if my opponent does it, especially if he/she is leading the game.

14. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    This is a cool (but maybe not suited for badminton) idea : theme songs for players as they enter the arena... I mean the court.

Chen Hong with his "I Am #1, You Are Nothing" song, or Taufik with his Incredible Hulk theme. Can anyone imagine "At last... the WCH had returned to Kuala Lumpur!!!".

Well, it's just an idea albeit a silly one. :)

15. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Joanne. In the world of sports there will be players who make celebrations on a point just incase it has some adverse affect on the opponent. To some this is unsporting, to others it's called "gamesmanship". Outrightly abusing your opponent is clearly not on, but letting them know you are fired up and feeling good can be a crucial part of the game.

16. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Lol, woop. I always wondered why you put a full stop after your name and you just put one after mine. :D

Anyway, do you see pro players yelling when they've got a point? As far as I know I've only seen them go really crazy after they win. Maybe just a "yes!" and sort of making a fist(don't know how to say but I'm sure you understand) when they get a point though.