How do you "whip-up" a shuttle sitting on the ground?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by R20190, Jul 26, 2012.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I've only seen this done once live by Nathan Robertson but recently came across a very short clip of someone else doing it on youtube and can't quite figure out exactly how it is done prpperly. I've tried it but can't get it right.

The general idea is to pick up a shuttle resting on the ground by striking a part of the shuttle against the ground to cause it to rebound up then catching it with your racquet.

It's probably not going to do a lot of good for the shuttle, but I've been wondering how it's done for ages.

Anyone know how it is done?

In this youtube video of Fu Hai Feng teaching the smash, there's a very short clip at 1min 23-24 secs of someone doing it.

[video=youtube;pU2j0hIs-pc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU2j0hIs-pc[/video]

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

simple in theory. you swing in direction from cork to feather tip, hitting the feathers but not the cork (otherwise you are playing golf with a shuttle :D). This compresses the feathers and when they expand to normal diameter, it jumps up in the air.

3. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Use the fame of the racket and run through fthe shuttle , from bottom feathers to top , gradually applying more pressure until you reach the top of feather , in an instant- you tap the top of those feathers slightly with the racket head. That will then make it jump up ....you can then catch it with the bed of the string.

This works for me most times , need abit of practice . It works best with brand new shuttles with all feathers still intact and crisp. If you perform it right , it should not damage the shuttle (that much) , as players put more pressure on the shuttle during a smash.

This kind of stuff (trick shots etc) keeps me entertain during those Marathon training sessions , but not to be use in matches ..(that's what he said)