Where is the cheapest place to buy a Ti-Swing Power in Vancouver, B.C?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Sgt_Strider, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Cheapest place to buy a Ti-Swing Power in Vancouver, B.C.?

I'm trying to find a good store and the cheapest place that I can find it for is $279 at Abbies. Is there any way I can get it for cheaper than that? If I order it from the US, it'll be much cheaper but I want to have at least some sort of warranties...Unless someone can suggest a better option? Thx

2. SChan

SChan Regular Member

abbies is pretty cheap already... tads is sometimes cheaper... but you might as well bargain with abbies.

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I bought mine at Abbies for that price too about 2 months ago. I also got myself a Carbonex 22 that I ordered. I find that I'm not using my TI-SP SS at all, so I'd like to sell it, if you're interested.

I've used it about 4 times for about an hour playing time each. I've taken off the original grip and put a Wilson Tennis grip on it.

I'm looking to get CAD 250 for it.

If you factor in taxes on top of Abbie's price, a brand new racket comes to about CAD 300 without strings. I currently have BG-70 PRO on it (black), strung at 21 (main) x 23 (cross) but in the couple of months I've owned it, it's probably settled into about a pound or two less.

So my price is about 25 % less than if you got a brand new TI-SP SS plus stringing price.

Please PM me if you're interested.

-dave

4. Sgt_Strider

Sorry I'm only interested in a brand new racket

5. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    $300 for a Ti Swing Power?

Ouch! That's a lot of money. Courtside Sports in Victoria is selling the Ti Swing Power for $240.00

Heh, the Winex version is definitely cheaper. Tad's has it. You might want to go and check it out.

6. Sgt_Strider

Re: $300 for a Ti Swing Power?

Do that store have a website? Seem kinda cheap compare to stores in Vancouver but I don't want to travel all the way to Victoria just to get a racket.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: $300 for a Ti Swing Power?

Maybe phone order if no website? ;)

8. Sgt_Strider

Re: Re: Re: $300 for a Ti Swing Power?

Hey lazybuddy, do you know any places in the states that have good pricing on the Ti-Swing Power and ship to Canada?

9. SChan

SChan Regular Member

10. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hmm... I find Courtside's pricing structure a little... well... odd. Isn't the Armortec series supposed to be Yonex's top line products, and thus command a premium price tag? But at Courside, the MP100 sells for $275, the MP99 for $265, and the AT700 is only selling for $240! The AT500 is even cheaper at a bargain price of $165!!

Hmm... that certainly isn't what I would have expected...

-Rick

11. Sgt_Strider

I think ordering from the US is cheaper at this point...Considering the Canadian dollar is pretty high at this point, getting a Ti-Swing power for $135 US is about $184 CAD. Whether it comes with stringing or not, I don't really care as I can take it to a professional stringer in Vancouver. The problem is that I can't find one that will ship to Vancouver, Canada

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sgt,

The website pops into my head is: www.badminton.net. I believe it locates at San Jose, California, US. However, I have no idea, whether they will ship it to Can (Van. area, I assume) or not.

I think u can try to give them a call, see if u can work out a deal with them. But I am not very sure if the warranty could be carried over or not.

Also, not sure if u r lucky (or unlucky) enough to be hit by the "import tax". I was told the ratio of being found and charged is below 5%. Not very sure whether it's accurate or not.

13. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Duty & import taxes are 15% plus $5 customs fees. If the store uses UPS to ship then the amount could be doubled because of added UPS brokerage service charge.

14. Sgt_Strider

So if the company uses USPS, then I still have to pay the 15% import tax and the $5 fee? Is the 15% of the total price with shipping or w/o shipping?

15. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Yes, you still have to pay the 15% import tax and the $5 fee with USPS.

If they use UPS, you have to pay UPS brokerage fee as well. Read this thread for a real example:

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6269&highlight=UPS+AND+brokerage

The taxes and charges are based on the racquet price and not the shipping cost.

I noticed when you did the conversion $135 US -> $184 CND, you assumed the exchange rate was 1.36. That's the market posted rate. If you pay by credit card, the credit card company will charge you at 1.40 or higher. And don't forget the shipping and insurance is around $20 US.

It sure costs us Canadians a lot to buy things from abroad :(

16. Sgt_Strider

Basicly what you guys are telling me is to order from within Canada then? It seems very expensive after all those taxes and etc. If I don't pay by credit card, can I use any other cheaper options to order from them then?

17. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Basically if you order goods from aboard (as a consumer), you are liable for the taxes and duties owing. If the goods are shipped via regular post, the post office will collect the monies owing on behalf of the government and charge you a $5.00 processing fee (UPS, FedEx, etc. charges more $7-$8).

You could also get lucky and not be charged anything at all by Canada Post (I think with Fedex, UPS, etc., you will get charge regardless) as is the way when you cross the border from the US with stuff purchased.

18. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

I've never got lucky, even with USPS/Canada Post :) They even taxed me when it should not (a used item of about $20 from a friend). Maybe just my luck ...