protective eyewear

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Lenny, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Lenny

Lenny Guest

Last year I suffered a severe eye injury while playing badminton, resulting in an injury caused cataract. A few days ago, I was hit in the other eye by a speeding bird. Fortunately, this time there was no injury. However, it has prompted me to look into using protective eyewear. I never see it recommended in any badminton literature or used by anyone on the videos I've seen. Does anyone in the badminton world use sports glasses? Any recommendations? What I can find on-line about sports glasses leads me to consider the Leader or Shields brands.

2. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    I had a friend who got hit in the eye by a bird last week. She then rested for about a week and I was thinking if eyeguards should be the answer. I don't know which ones are good and stylish...so can anyone give me any suggestions?

3. Don

Don Regular Member

actually.. Black Knight makes a nice pair... I use them for squash, but I can see used as a dual purpose for badminton. Check them out at the Black Knight website, they roughly go for about $30 Canadian, which is like $20 American...

4. knock-out

knock-out Guest

I play racquetball almost daily, and eyewear is mandatory in every court I've ever seen. Plus, it would be foolish not to wear glasses in racquetball. Another good brand is called RAD. They run about $18.00 US and I've not found a better brand out there. I've tried Wilson, Z-leader, Ektelon, etc, the Rad goggles have the best unimpaired view of all and are comforable and durable.
    I have read about badminton eye injuries, and though they seem rare, the ones I've read about are often quite serious. If you feel you need goggles, you better get some! good luck

5. Lenny

Lenny Guest

Today I ordered a pair of Shield Sport Glasses. $55 US, plus $5 shipping. Should receive them by Friday (hope) or Monday. Will let you all know!

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Yes...

Not sure if you've read any books, or watched many training videos, however... the trainers highly recommend the use of sport goggles for this sport.

I wear glasses, so it doesn't apply to me as much, and I can move out of the way fast enough...

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Re: Yes...

also might want to check with an eye care professional about it... I'm sure they could recommend something that might not be as costly... but then again, I'm not sure about the prices either... :?

8. May

May Guest

Re: Yes...

Yeah, me too, can't see without my glasses, 'cept that I am changing to contacts.