Shuttle lands partially on line

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by axl886, Jul 29, 2012.

1. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

So we were having a spirited disagreement here:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...on-game-at-central-west?p=1941366#post1941366

To clarify, me and my partner tot it was in, but the opposite player thought it was out. During the discussion, the OP said that "when the shuttle lines partially on the line, it is considered OUT under the new scoring system... (implying that under the old scoring system, it was considered IN)".

And he even backed it up by saying another long-time session of his... plays by this rule that "landing partially on the line = OUT", so it must be correct.

Eventually they suggested a let, but I was damn shocked that a basic rule like the above can be misinterpretated. I understand that we are playing a social game with no reputation or monetary rewards at stake, but I feel emotionally charged and compelled to act then, esepcially when a basic regulation like this is not adhered upon.

1) Whose understanding is correct?

2) If mine is, what should happen in future games if a similar scenario occur?

To the OP (if he is reading), like I said... it was not whether that particular shot landed onto/partially/off the line, it is to clarify matters so that a proper game of baddy can be enjoyed.

Thanks for reading.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

very straight forward, according to bwf rules here:

http://www.worldbadminton.com/rules/

it's a fault if,
    13.3 if in play, the shuttle:
    13.3.1 lands outside the boundaries of the court (i.e. not on or within the boundary lines);

ask your opponent why if it's considered in in tennis, basketball, football, soccer, rugby, etc, why should it be any different in badminton. ;)

i suggest you print out a copy of the above rules to bring to court to avoid any future problems with this fella :)

#2 visor, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

Thanks for the clarification Visor; what I suspected.

Hopefully the player in question will see this post. If not, I'll print out the official rules plus this post, in case a similar "controversy" pops up on the court again. :eek: