What should I do?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Smashing4life, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Smashing4life

Smashing4life Regular Member

I have a annoying situation: I have had my arcsaber 10 for a month and I really like it, sometimes it doesn't generate enough head speed for smashes though. Its been overall a great experience using it in all categories. Then I have my Z Slash that I have had for 2 weeks, its has been on and off, somedays its a beast and my smash is boosted by a lot and the sweet spot feels great, other days I have too many miss timed shots and frame hits. Plus I think its defence is slow and bad. Should I find a backup racket (probably another arcsaber 10) or should I just stick with my two rackets and see how the z slash pans out? Because I don't want to go to tournaments with only 1 racket that I feel secure with. Btw I am an offensive minded singles player who goes to tournaments quite often, while playing 4/5 times a week.

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

pick one racket and stick with it, and get a backup. zslash and arc10 are too different to keep switching between imo.

4. Smashing4life

5. Smashing4life

Yes they are very different, ok thanks for the advice. I will probably just wait another month, test my z slash out more, then decide on which backup racket I should get.

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    stick with one racket. if you wish, buy an additional one of the exact same model with same string setup.

7. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

Arcs 10 and Arcs ZS are 2 different type of racket specification which the earlier is an all round and the later is a head heavy racket. Which one to choose will hugely depends from analyzing the quality of all your hits while playing when using both of this racket.

Even though you are an offensive type of player and logically most people will suggest that the Z slash should suits you well since it's a head heavy racket, however if the quality of your hits from both the defense and control department are unsatisfactory then, for a competitive type of player like you, it will just bring disaster at the end of any of your match. If you still think that you want to use the Z slash as your main racket then you need to train with it regularly and brush your technique of play so that the style of your play can eventually blend with the racket specification since the racket won't blend itself naturally with you.

Regardless what racket you're trying, when you reach to the point where your style of play has mutually blend nicely with the racket specification and all your hits has been very satisfactory from the offensive, defensive and control department then, don't hesitate to stick just to THAT racket and if you have the budget, just buy the same racket again be it a Arcs 10 or Z slash.

SS

8. Smashing4life

Ok thanks a lot for the helpful advice :)

9. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    I have had both of these rackets and understand your situation. Had the z slash (slight head heavy) just over a year playing in a few tournaments etc. as I progressed I realised that consistency at high pace rallies would sometimes drop. Due to the characteristics or even ability, those couple of points that you lose due to the inconsistency will cost a match win or loss. Alot of people talk about how this racket does this and that blah blah, but in all honesty, rackets don't enhance or make you better at specific areas eg smash etc... Technique, footwork, training is what makes the difference. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with looking for different option of rackets, it's just I wouldn't change thinking something else will magically make things different. From your story, as you train etc, I'm sure you know most of this. I have recently changed back to the arc 10 ( after buying many many different rackets) and find that I had the right one all along (experience in using the other rackets helped with experience in knowing what 'I' liked). IMO, get an extra racket of the one you like most. Will save you loads of money and time ;)Good luck

10. Smashing4life

Ok thanks for the opinion, I've finalized that I am going to buy a backup arcsaber 10 for now and just use arcsaber 10 for tournament play. Very happy to be done deciding on rackets to get back to just training, playing, and improving!