Video recording badminton first person perspective

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by Tactim, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    So I've gotten this idea from watching all these advertisements during the Olympics about recording the first person perspective while doing things like swimming the backstroke (pro swimmers have head gear with a camera that records what they're looking at while swimming).

I know some people attach these cameras to their helmets while riding their bike and can be used for various different activities. I wonder what it would look like if you attached it to your head while playing badminton?

Does anyone have the camera that I'm talking about that comes with head gear to secure it to your head? I don't have one myself not to mention it would look pretty ridiculous when you enter the gym with that on your head. Playing a game with it would probably be very dangerous too as your head would move around a lot and the camera could fall off and cause damage.

Well, if anyone has a camera like this and would be interested in trying this out, I think it would be a pretty revolutionary thing to give some first person perspective to badminton =).

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The camera usually used is GoPro. Ultra wide ad yes, it would be different. Nice to see how fast those smashes really are...

4. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
  5. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Thanks for posting that! Obviously not as pretty as I'd imagined but I can see with all the body movement it's nearly impossible to have a really good look at first person badminton.

I actually found a much better recording in the related videos link to the one you posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2J3L1KqjQg&feature=related

Although the the quality of play isn't spectacular, it's a much wider range of view compared to the first video and it's much closer to what you would actually see on court in the first person. Since this is a low intensity game it's probably easy to see what's going on, but if you're going for big smashes, the jerking of the head might make the video hard to watch. So this can actually work provided you have a quality camera and *very* secure headgear to handle the movement of badminton.