User Tag List

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mirrura View Post
    It's just that the WD are making it more obvious that they are throwing the match away. Can I assume that KKK/TBH also had the intention to "throw away" their final group play match (but don't do it so obvious) against LYD/CJS just to get a relatively easier QF opponent? I remember reading from the press that KKK/TBH also have the chance to choose their QF opponents.
    Because when Kkk/Tbh lost it's so believable

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are laughing at badminton now .....

Here's a comical satire of yesterday's events.

http://www.dailyshame.co.uk/2012/08/...throw-a-match/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ton-Min-Bad View Post
    IMO there could be nothing more perverse as if the BWF even only thinks about disqualifying these players. The BWF installs a group system which allows players to take advantage of and later they blame the players for doing so. It's ridiculous!
    Absurd, any system can be abused. Blaming someone knowing that you yourself has done something wrong is a form of defense to justify your doing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    Unless I read you right, are you saying these 8 girls are not doing what is contrary to OLY spirit and they are right to fix the match. If that is so, you are spot on and we would like to welcome you to our gang of 5.V1Lau, we have company, our gang is growing
    Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post

I don't know about your gang. I'm just speaking for myself. IMO the people who are responsible for the rules are to blame for.

The olympic spirit? The olympic spirit is long gone. This is a business with big money involved!

If anything you can blame the players for is that they can't act very well. But the fact that they need to act is clearly not their fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by georgsi_uk1 View Post
    Next round is Knock oput round and as the other pair has lost today's game, if this chinese pair wins this one, they will meet the second pair in their next game and so they wanted to avoid that..

Koreans also wanted to throw the game because if they win, they will be meeting the second chinese pair which they wanted to avoid.. hence the whole drama..

i think thats all about it.. Any other answers anyone ??
    The Chinese pair beat the Koreans in losing the game!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    The players that rig the game should be thrown out from the Olympics. Not only they manipulated the format, the went against the Olympic oath to perform their best, they tainted the spirit of Olympics, and brought disgrace to badminton.

In fact, just so much for doing this in the OLYMPICS !!!
    My God !! It's the pinnacle of all sporting events.... I was so disappointed watching the CHI/KOR game.

In fact, they all should be BANNED from OLYMPICS for LIFE !!!

My apologies if I sound to harsh, this is only my personal opinion.
    don't rage so much its not good, this crap happens all of the time, much more of the blame has to do with the system/incentives (situations) players are placed in

here's an example you guys might be familiar with (mostly those who watch sports like basketball like NBA)

NBA
    teams are awarded more lottery balls (significant for drafting the upcoming players) the worst record they pose at the end of the season. If two teams are tied in record, both teams would have an incentive to lose as one will get more lottery balls.

Example these drafts can determine if you get a future star like Lebron or some other player who is not as good.

Another scenario in the playoffs when determining seeds, ex. 1st and 8th play each other 1st round in playoffs, teams all the time take this system format into account, sometimes throw game so they get X seed.

I suppose some people are just sooooooo pissed because it was blatant and it that can make it less entertaining.

LEE CHONG WEI probably could have demolished Lang in 2 sets but it took a third set. Super high rank players often prolong the rally rather than try their 100% best effort when they play the lower ranked players yet we don't condemn them .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjoe View Post
    Absurd, any system can be abused. Blaming someone knowing that you yourself has done something wrong is a form of defense to justify your doing.
    Not necessarily, it also can be a protest that the rules make me do things I don't want to!
    Last edited by Ton-Min-Bad; 08-01-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our beloved commentatar Gail Emms also blamed the system, not the players in her twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Just watched last half of game 2.

Pathetic. Disgraceful.

Unfortunately, those terms not only applies to the players (especially the CHN ones, as we know that they're more than capable of what they've displayed), but also to the coaches and the Olympic committee who came up with this playoff format.

Afterall the players are young and are in some way forced to listen to their coaches guidance, however wrong and disgraceful it may be. Can you imagine if you were the athlete who didn't obey and went against the plan? You would be punished severely and made an example of to the rest of the team ... back in the motherland after the games are over, of course.

Having said that, if I were the tournament referee reviewing this case, I'd definitely without a doubt fine or punish the loser of this match with disqualification. Why... because they were the ones who were succesful in achieving their plan. Viewing the match, you'd also see the more obvious unforced errors and acting when they made an error.

They're lucky I didn't attend the match, otherwise I'd have immediately gone out to buy shuttles and started throwing at them.

Pathetic. Disgraceful.

Addendum: If I were the KOR players, knowing that I was winning in the second game, I'd have gone all out to pound the cr@p and sh1t out of the CHN players!
    BWF made STUPID rules, which were taken advantage of.
    Those FOUR teams were all trying to lose the games.
    I have to guess all the EIGHT player were following their coaches' instruction.
    If I were the BWF governor, I would ask the 1st pair of each group to select whichever 2nd pair of each group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    hehe
    yes,they will be the one of the contender for oscar,along with lin dan and chen jin
    Lin and Chen were much better actors than the eight women players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The WINNER should be given chance to decide, who to take those points.. (say a WINNER can decide whether the POINTS to be taken by the LOOSER.)

Just like the way the TOSS is won, so that the WINNER gets to decide who to make the FIRST-SERVE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ton-Min-Bad View Post

I don't know about your gang. I'm just speaking for myself. IMO the people who are responsible for the rules are to blame for.

The olympic spirit? The olympic spirit is long gone. This is a business with big money involved!

If anything you can blame the players for is that they can't act very well. But the fact that they need to act is clearly not their fault.
    What you said fits our gang of 4's vision like a glove. We believe and argue our right to fix matches whenever possible and screw those sportsmanship thingie, we worship LYB as king maker, win at all cost even via unscrupulous means, money overides all, zero OLY spirit.
    We need a leader, I vote for you and TwoBeer can be Veepee. V1Lau wants out, no man.

Oh, 1 thing I forgot...those Danes are mighty stupid especially Peter Gade...I heard they don't fix matches, that's taboo and they kill themselves on the court...what stupid players
    Last edited by OneToughBirdie; 08-01-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This kinda stuff happens in all sports. Teams lose group matches on purpose to avoid strong opponents in the playoffs, I've seen it the WC football(soccer) and NBA a few times.

Although undesirable, it is not as bad as throwing games to advance teammates which imo is a lot worse and should be punished.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Group stage tournaments are open to this kind of thing. The system is flawed and it is difficult to assess if players are throwing points or not. One idea could be that the top of the group team go through and the 2nd placed teams go into a draw to see which top of the group team they will face instead of mixing it all up. This will increase the competition for the top of the group spot as players won't know who they will face in the knock out stages and the top seeds will want to finish top to avoid the other top seeds.

I guess if the Chinese or Korean pairs win a medal it will be a hollow victory but with the 'win at any cost' mentality this is bound to happen. Another thing to mention is some people won't see this as being wrong but tactically astute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And also even if it might be true, I don't think LYB or any other country's coaches are solely responsible. Players know who they want to face in the next round as well. It is a strategic move based on their own interests, totally different from giving walkovers for the so-called 'Greater Good'.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by littlebro View Post
    This kinda stuff happens in all sports. Teams lose group matches on purpose to avoid strong opponents in the playoffs, I've seen it the WC football(soccer) and NBA a few times.

Although undesirable, it is not as bad as throwing games to advance teammates which imo is a lot worse and should be punished.
    in essence, this is precisely what YY/WXL did!
    they intentionally lost the match to avoid meeting (and defeating) TQ/ZYL in the SF.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Concur the setup is flawed that encourage match fixing, but still I am flabbergasted that they are still people who can't see the match was rigged and in denial...folks, we are seeing World/OLY/AE champs serving into the nets or out repeatedly....dah!!!
    I actually missed the whole match. My wifey was watching the entire 4 hours badminton livefeed on TV. It was over dinner that she mentioned to me that she seemed something not right that players served into the net and she said, she can serve better than that. She knew something was cooking and she asked me expecting me to know why. I told her that in BC, it was already mentioned the night before that this match could be fixed because CHN 2nd pair lost and if CHN top pair win, they will meet in the same half, so expect a fix.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast