User Tag List

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Boos on court

While watching the MS match, I heard a lot of booing. I tried to switch courts to watch the other match so I could see what was going on, but the BBC had made it unavailable.
    Could someone please fill me in on what was happening please? And can I watch this match elsewhere?

Thanks

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    BBC evening news on it as well.

Badminton now really entered the world stage
    yeah. when it starts from Reuters the whole world will pick it up immediately. i see it in news site from chicago, australia, uk, europe, etc, etc, all picking it up already.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps you could just read the 2 top threads...

Long story short China and Korea's WD were basically trying to lose to face who they wanted in QF and were really bad actors

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was in the WD match between Yu/Xiaoli and Kim/Jung. I missed what caused the booing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

it was in the YY/WXL vs. Kim/Jung match.

and then later on in the Ha/Kim vs. Greysia/Mel match as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud7z View Post
    While watching the MS match, I heard a lot of booing. I tried to switch courts to watch the other match so I could see what was going on, but the BBC had made it unavailable.
    Could someone please fill me in on what was happening please? And can I watch this match elsewhere?

Thanks
    Oh, better not.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aulia View Post
    Oh, better not.
    I can probably summarize the whole 1st game in a few short sentences. KOR serves to start the game, CHN hits into the net on returns, KOR serves into the net, CHN does the same, KOR gets service faulted, umpire calls them over, both sides serve into the net/serve out, referee comes on, they start to play a bit. KOR wins 1st game 21-14.

Something like that :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn't good! A disgrace to any sport, let alone Olympics. Really horrible acting, about 20 missed serves alone. I was five feet away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This group system is retarded from the start , and many people have predicted this would happen. It is not in the spirit of the game , but every team would do the same if they have the chance .....(planning ahead .,,,,lol)......I dont blame either team , apologies to the people who paid to watch the sessions but they have another 2 courts to feast their eyes on. This system would not work in bigger tournament even if they start at the same time , unlike football

fair play .......it definitely inspire the next generation about team work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Occasions like this are going to really hurt badminton potentially, as a sport it gets hardly any coverage in this country the only time is the Olympics and this is now the major story. The IOC put badminton as a potential sport to drop out of the olympics in the future and be replaced this situation will now be used be ammunition for those with that viewpoint. It has already been noted in an IOC report the domination of the sport by a few nations which harms international competition today has just helped prove this.

In a personal note i'm angry for the individuals some of whom have paid large sums to be at the games and buy tickets. In addition many of the crowd due to the ticket allocation have little or no knowledge of badminton what kind of image does this give the average individual of our sport which we love? - Pathetic

Lastly several of my family and friends are volunteers at the games and have taken over a week unpaid off work to help run this event as organizers running the training facilities, athlete helpers making sure these players have everything they would want, and general fan helpers, what a lovely slap in the face this is to us all. Team china you are the most demanding and distant team in this games behind the scenes, all of us welcomed you wholeheartedly to the UK and they never even give a smile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, blame it on the group system.

Second, it happened not only in badminton. In soccer, it also happened before. Group system and both teams does not want to win. Why people still follow soccer, I am not sure. I remember at least once, during Sea Games soccer.

I would like to see punishment for not trying but when the outcome did not matter as both will go to the next round, it is difficult to force them to try.

As for whether I would continue supporting any of the WD involved, I would say that I would not support them but I think 99% of all players would do likewise.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    yeah. when it starts from Reuters the whole world will pick it up immediately. i see it in news site from chicago, australia, uk, europe, etc, etc, all picking it up already.
    Now, John McEnore and Micheal Johnson got on the wagon as well (on BBC).
    to bring back the old system they demanded!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elimination format would prompt all players to do their best in every round.

With the group system, I guess what BWF and the Olympics is trying to do is give hope to the lesser known countries in badminton and promote the sport in those areas. It at least gives them some hope, but for the strong-nations who couldn't careless would of course use dirty-tactics to get what they want.

China has done this many times, but what can one do? You can penalise them once, twice, but in the end they won't change.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by V1lau View Post
    Probably nothing they can do in this Olympics, but they will have to redo the structure of this type of tournament to have a second draw for all the qualifiers after the preliminaries round. If you make the structure of the draw predictable then you open it up to (manipulation/strategic maneuvers).
    "In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams"

Kick out for breaking the oath ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    "In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams"

Kick out for breaking the oath ?
    What part of the Oath did they break?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I still don't see tactically-wise why they would China deliberately lose

WXL / YY and also TQ / ZYL

I mean, they'll just end up in the same place and will have to verse even tougher opponents if they lose...... there's no point doing it, and they're fit highly trained athletes, so why wouldn't they try?

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast