User Tag List

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was there, and it was a total joke. Absolutely no question they were both trying to lose in the China v Korea match, just that the Chinese were 'better' at losing so got the result they wanted.

Tough call for Torsten Berg, but he should have disqualified one of the pairs there and then. It sort of invited it to happen again in the second doubles match. Total waste of people's time and money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the blind spot of the game format! If round robin allow only one team for one country that may work. Unfortunately, there are vary of entry. Some countries where could qualify more than one team to the game. So strategy may be played on every match.

Also, only strong team could play strategy. They can control win or lose to place on advantage position. Weak team cannot. Sigh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heong View Post
    But I still don't see tactically-wise why they would China deliberately lose

WXL / YY and also TQ / ZYL

I mean, they'll just end up in the same place and will have to verse even tougher opponents if they lose...... there's no point doing it, and they're fit highly trained athletes, so why wouldn't they try?
    I don't think TQ/ZYL lost on purpose, but WXL/YY probably did.

Still, here's what I think about the whole affair:

Quote Originally Posted by throx View Post
    I don't know why this is such a big deal. If they lose deliberately to manipulate their seedings it's because they won enough matches to put themselves in the position to do so. They can only lose because they've won. If you are in position to maximize your chances to win but don't do it, you aren't very smart.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."
    — John Steinbeck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone have video of this game???

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    Now, John McEnore and Micheal Johnson got on the wagon as well (on BBC).
    to bring back the old system they demanded!
    Watching bbc olympic sportsday programme, the guy on the show claimed that todays behaviour it must "be an oriental thing it means so much to them over their so i'm not surprised"

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by V1lau View Post
    What part of the Oath did they break?
    Glory of the sport? Other countries have already sent players home for actions in contrdiction to the Olympic spirit (Greece an athletics european champion, Switzerland a football player today I just read)

Quote Originally Posted by Heong View Post
    But I still don't see tactically-wise why they would China deliberately lose

WXL / YY and also TQ / ZYL

I mean, they'll just end up in the same place and will have to verse even tougher opponents if they lose...... there's no point doing it, and they're fit highly trained athletes, so why wouldn't they try?
    TQ/ZYL didn't lose on purpose and because of that "measures" had to be taken so they wouldn't meet before the final ...
    Last edited by demolidor; 07-31-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingJam View Post
    Lastly several of my family and friends are volunteers at the games and have taken over a week unpaid off work to help run this event as organizers running the training facilities, athlete helpers making sure these players have everything they would want, and general fan helpers, what a lovely slap in the face this is to us all. Team china you are the most demanding and distant team in this games behind the scenes, all of us welcomed you wholeheartedly to the UK and they never even give a smile
    hats off to your family members who make sacrifice in order to help out the game organization. i hope in general they will still enjoy the experience.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ant01 View Post
    Pretty disgraceful. The Chinese coaches didn't even bother going to the players during the interval, everything was planned out beforehand.
    exactly why a lot of people are speculating that the Chinese were throwing the game, which they have done before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Glory of the sport? Other countries have already sent players home for actions in contrdiction to the Olympic spirit)
    "Glory of the sport?" By who's definition, by what criteria, what does that even mean, beside being abstract? You could charge BWF and IOC for violating this because they failed to take into account what might happen with the group draw system. I not defending what the player did, but saying they violated "Glory of the sport" I hope is not used as a justification for DQ because the term is too vague.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What part of the Oath did they break?
    Sportsmanship, glory of sports, honour of teams?

Abiding by the rules (tanking is against them)

Take your pick. Any who supports or who isnt outraged by this behaviour from all countries involved is mad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I booed as the whole section D and everyone else booed around us facing Court 2

Court 2 - China WD vs Korea WD = BS of a game as the first 25 points of the game were miss hits, missed serves into the net, outside wide. They act like they're having a bad day but come on... the official came on court to talk to both teams and their coaches. Play improved to a friendly rally, shots that should of been a smash were lazy mid court clears. This is an embarrassment to the Olympic spirit and professional sports.

Court 3 - Korea WD vs Indonesia WD later on in the night, same thing happened. My view from Court 2 side wasn't as good but seem like the same issue, no one wanted to face the Chinese. The same official from earlier walked out and waved around a black card (we that means).

Thank goodness the rest of the matches were legit. My favorite of the night were the China vs Taipei matches since they were as much national pride as it was political.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should of been disqualified on the spot. Throwing the game to not faced your own team mates is match fixing, which is cheating. At one point, the whole arena was chanting OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF!! when the Korea vs Indonesia on court 3 did the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20 View Post
    Sportsmanship, glory of sports, honour of teams?

Abiding by the rules (tanking is against them)

Take your pick. Any who supports or who isnt outraged by this behaviour from all countries involved is mad.
    All vague Euphemism that are open to interpretation(ask LYB, Im sure he can come up with definitions that can counter yours), I rather have the DQ grounded in rules then sayings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was court side, I am Chinese, and I booed the hell outta their behaviour. SHAME SHAME SHAME!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All vague Euphemism that are open to interpretation(ask LYB, Im sure he can come up with definitions that can counter yours), I rather have the DQ grounded in rules then sayings.
    Everything can be debated and be considered vague or open to interpretation. (even this very sentence)

I stand by what i say in that anyone who supports or isnt outraged by this is mad.

Lets not get on LYB, why not get on KOR and INA headcoaches as well.

It makes badminton look pathetic and weak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The BWF has no one to blame but themselves for not putting safeguards in place to prevent such fiascoes. I don't blame China & Korea at all. They were both concerned with the big picture of winning the tournament and/or maximizing the number of medals they can reap from it. It's not much different than, say, Bradley Wiggins' teammates sacrificing themselves to help him win the Tour de France, or when Wiggins sacrificing himself by setting the pace in the last lap of the last stage and then letting Cavendish through to take the win. It's just team strategy, that's all. If the BWF don't want to see this they need to be smarter about how to structure the tournament. I feel sorry for paying customers though. What I don't understand is why the Koreans didn't just fake an injury, forfeit the match and screw the Chinese
    Last edited by maofthun; 07-31-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blaming it all on the chinese is really absurd as other teams were doing the same thing. but its not as ridiculous as the ye shiwen doping bs. a lot of anti china bs on the internet lolz.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast