"hook shot"

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gil g., Sep 8, 2003.

1. gil g.

gil g. Regular Member

MD
    HI . Whenever I play singles with my trainer, he always uses the "hook shot" ( for lack of a better term, I actually don't know what this shot is really called) and he always ends up getting points from me with this move. Briefly, it's a shot wherein he acts like he's going to return a drop using his fore hand then, in a split second, he pronates his arm and eventually delivers the shot with a back hand. So, by the time the bird clears the net, I'm already running / positioned to receive the shot the other way and he gets the point. Question is... how do i prepare for this shot as I am always deceived by it? How is this "hook shot" executed? ( So i can surprise him the next time we play;) .
    Thanks. Sorry for the cryptic description of the shot. Hope everybody understands what I mean.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

You mean like this:

He stands with his racquet up, ready for a forehand drop to the left side of the net (from his view.) Instead, he swings his racquet head around and does a backhand drop to the right side of the net?

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Or, still going for the left. But instead of a tap, it becomes a backhand slice instead?

4. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    It's kinda like a deceptive play wherein your opponent changes the angle or direction of his attack in split second before impact. You can notice it in advance players. Before, I look for a cue on where to move by the looking at angle of my opponent's racket head or by his arm position, but again in advance play it will only prove a liability. Still, the best way is to wait after the birdie leaves the racket head.

As you become better and your reaction sharper in your play you tend not to be fooled by fast drops (simplest form of deceptive play), you can fend off heavy smashes, etc. etc. your opponets will try to find out new ways for an advantage.

5. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I'm not sure I understand the shot.

Most advanced players can hit the shot at any angle from either forehand or backhand simply by turning the racquet face. Sounds like he's just distracting you with the extra motion.

6. marky mark

marky mark Regular Member

I did it!

After reading the post yesterday, I "unintentionally" did the "hook shot" during a game this morning. I was meaning to do either a forehand drop or clear, but after reading the movement of my opponents (they were quite far in the backcourt), in a split second, I managed to swing the racquet around and just did a backhand drop.

They were pretty amazed by the shot (actually, so was I, but I did not show it :D).

To gil g., from analysis of the shot, it's really more of a "fake" that your trainer does. With a forehand shot, you as the receiver "anticipate" that it will either be a clear or drop thus you move already in a certain direction, but your trainer sees (and likewise anticipates) this and thus, he suddenly makes a quick turn of the racket to do a backhand shot where you are not in a position to be able to return it anymore.

Suggestion, then, is not to move right away when you try to "anticipate" your trainer's shot, as frictionman mentioned, but wait for the birdie to be hit. Sounds easy, but I know it is hard. Three things then: 1) don't give him that shot anymore (eliminate the problem), 2) practice giving steeper or "tighter to the net" drops, or 3) decrease your reaction time AFTER your opponent has hit the birdie.

7. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

My coach does the same thing as what Californian says. He does the "hook shot" and then greatly exaggerates the move with extra movement to confuse me as to what he will do. Lately though, ive gotten used to it, and ive learned to be able to read that particular shot

8. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

I still don't get it... so you drop and your coach comes at the net to hit a forehand netshot but he suddenly switches to a backhand and slice the shuttle to do a crosscourt netshot? Is that it? If its so, well get used to it :D

To do that shot, you need to have a flexible wrist and you must be able to control it perfectly. Basically from an already set forehand netshot position, you pull down your racket slightly to the right just before contact, to avoid contact, and instantly turn your wrist for a backhand shot and slice to your left in a rather "flat" U shaped parabola.

Contact with the shuttle should be minimal because the motion is fast, meaning your shot will go out if there's too much contact with the shuttle. You also need to figure out at which height you contact the shuttle and the angle of your racket head at the point of contact at THAT height so that the shuttle can skim across the net.

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I don't understand what the shot is either.

Maybe it's something like the Peter Gade trick shot v Gopi.
    There is someone at my club who plays a shot similar to Peter's but he plays it on return of a low serve. He is right handed. When receiving serve in the even court, he sets up to play a backhand net shot to the left of the net as he looks at it. At the last moment, he twists his arm around like Peter did and plays the shuttle with the forehand side of the racquet and does a net shot to the right side of the net.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Gil g should help us out by giving a better description of where the shuttle is directed to on the court - not sure if the shot played by the coach is a cross court forecourt shot (like BRL states) or a lift from the net to the rear court.

If it is the one that BRL's description fits, I've seen that shot before. Basically, it's a forecourt shot near the net on the forehand side.

You approach the shot as if to play a forehand netshot. i.e. the racquet face is facing upwards. Then the forearm and wrist suddenly rotate (mainly along the axis of the arm) so the backhand face is facing upwards (but the arm is still on the forehand side). Then the face of the racquet can be adjusted to play the cross court netshot.

I think Dai Yun of China plays that shot (ladies singles finalist in WC 1999) on a regular basis.

11. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Sounds like this shot is in the category of Peter Gade's trick shot, or like the player who takes an overhead swing at the bird and deliberately misses it, then brings the arm down and hits it underhand. It's only value is to catch someone by surprise.

12. Hoyas

Hoyas Regular Member

i think this shot is called net flick.... i have read it from a book..

13. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    For some reason the name reminds me of basketball more than badminton. :D

14. gil g.

gil g. Regular Member

MD
    Sorry to confuse all of you guys. But really, I don't know the exact term for the shot.

marky mark --- ya, i think we're talking about the same thing. Good for you. You were able to do it. Tried it again last night and I ended up lifting the bird to the left mid court ( I'm right handed) resulting in a smash from my opponents.

Cheung -- The intention is for the shuttle cock to drop just above the net to the left side ( cross court) or, at the very least, to drive it to the left mid court, hopefully to the opponent's torso.

Thanks for all your comments guys
    :p

15. iluvthesun

iluvthesun Regular Member

Just interested about something...

For the 'hook shot', do you hit the backhand drop with the racket face high or do you wait until the shuttle is near waist height?

16. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    if I have not be mistaken, this "hook shot" doesnt really have a name to it

what you do is to "carry" the shuttle over to the other side of the net using your 'anti-clockwise' wrist movement with central axis pointing to the right net post(if u r right handed) when initially pretending to execute a forehand shot (net return, net flick doesnt matter) close to the net, you hit the shuttle with the face initially pointing downwards for a forehand shot.

usually if u have done it many times, your forearm would also do a follow through to the left thus banding your elbow a little bit

sorry about my bad english but thats as far as I can go in the description part..
    >.<

17. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    iluvthesun:

this shot should be made at shoulder's height (if u are fast enough) so the shuttle goes flat to the opposite end (I am only 165cm tall but I dont think it matters) otherwise this will require u to put in more effort "lifting" the shuttle across which if ur opponents are fast n quick would result in a net kill because of the time lag receivng it low

18. iluvthesun

iluvthesun Regular Member

thanks manabu =)