News - Doubles Disgrace

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by undeadshot, Jul 31, 2012.

1. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

From Badzine :

Eight women’s doubles players are now the subject of disciplinary action by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) for the disgraceful performance in the last two matches of group round robin play at the London Olympics.

The BWF today issued a press release stating that Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang of China, Greysia Polii and Meiliana Jauhari of Indonesia and Jung Kyung Eun, Kim Ha Na, Ha Jung Eun, and Kim Min Jung, all of Korea, have been charged under BWF’s Players’ Code of Conduct – Sections 4.5 and 4.16 respectively – with “not using one’s best efforts to win a match” and “conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport”.

The full article at
    http://www.badzine.net/news/olympics-day-4-doubles-disgrace/20696/

S
    o, do you think that these women doubles players should be punished??

2. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    Don't blame the RR system ! any system either RR or knock out or any other kind can be abused.
    Always looking for other to blame is one of the worst human nature. First is to correct the standard of individual conscience, moral and respect. Right or wrong is very subjective unless we all respect the same standard.
    Take away your "blaming someone else fault" and listen to your inner heart, it will tell you right or wrong. Most people are decent only circumtances force them to do against their will.

3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

So by that punishment, under Players' Code of Conduct's Penalties and Offences, that is a $250 fine.

Will they take more action? Does not seem like it to me.

4. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    250 only????? wtf....they can make that amount by losing in the 2nd round of a super series

5. shihman

shihman Regular Member

i do believe this is a disgrace, not just to the sports of badminton, but to all sports! professional athletes have responsibility to perform, or at least try, their best every time they step out on their arena. but in this case i believe the fault does not fall on the players alone. i am sure this decesion comes down from above, their coaches. this is an other slap in the face for asians in the eys of the rest of the world!

6. Baddersmum

Baddersmum Regular Member

I maybe wrong but I believe badminton in the Olympics is due for review ater 2018. If the 4 pairs are not disqualified or severally punished (not $250 !) there will not be badminton in 2022.

I only saw the first match which was a completely disgrace, even the second game when they started "playing" just enough was awfull

7. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    The news is all over the UK papers, basically one of the major news stories front and back. This is unheard of NEVER has badminton had this much press coverage and 100% of it is about match throwing. Bring back KO's and larger draws whilst not increasing the number of competitors from the same country.

Shihman, you can say that but you werent in the stadium the atmosphere was awful and the feeling in the arena appalling. Given my family and friends have given weeks of unpaid work to the olympics and these athletes backstage and during the main event its hard to take, and a great event has now been tarnished. I can confirm as well the fellow athletes of certain other major nations were disgusted by the behavior last night and said it went far beyond what was acceptable there was a high level of bad feeling between the players off court. It's sad and worrying when fellow players from top nations are almost booing there fellow competitors and i believes its out of worry - the IOC doesnt like bad publicity of domination in the sports action will be taken against badminton due to the players last night and the stupid group system.

In addition the the smaller nations have a real reason to worry the funding for nations like GB, USA etc are based around the Olympics remove the Olympics and you will likely lose the teams from competition, resulting in a weaker sport. Bear in mind that without the European nations badminton will not be kept in the Olympics as it wouldn't survive another vote.

8. dazzatron

dazzatron Regular Member

I'm not condoning what they did, however they shouldn't have brought out the group stages and just simply had knockouts like before. Eithe that or have it so that no one but the tournament organisers can see who will play who in the knockouts after the group stage.

Its bad sportsmanship, but in the end, they're here to win a tournament, not here to pick daisys.

9. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Disqualify all teams involved. Make it simple.

10. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

Can you blame the players for playing the system? Politicians do it all the time...

11. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    I think they should keep group stages at Olympics, but they should redraw after the group stages in a way, that top of the groups teams/players have to play against second in the groups teams/players in the first k.o-round.
    First draw top of the groups, then fill the scheme, then draw their opponents out of the second in the groups players.

12. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

13. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

It will be the same. The first double from China lost in the morning against the danish double and was second in the group. So in that case the other chinese double would play also to get the second place in the group , so they still want to loose the game.

Awfull , Shame on that players and officials. All four doubles should be throw out the tournament immediately.

14. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    umpire should have threatened to disqualify the losing team. then they have something to play for.
    im not condoning what they did but the system doesnt give them much incentive does it.

reasons to play to win
    - none (except for sportsmanship, of course!)

reasons to not play to win
    - they've already qualified
    - conserve energy
    - not face the stronger team next round
    - not face team from same country (instead of knocking each other out early they want to all make it to end for multiple medals)

but now after the fact, yes they should all be disqualified. no sport allows you to throw the match so why badminton.

15. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

Now bumped off by UK getting it's first gold...phew

There was an IOC/LOCOG news conference today and it seemed like every other question was about the badminton. The IOC line seems to be it's a matter for the BWF to sort out, however they will be keeping an eye on things.

The matter of refunds was brought up a number of times but the IOC will not be offering any as they said that was only one or two matches of many that were on in that session.

16. simonlovers

simonlovers Regular Member

Breaking News
    All 4 WD are out from the WD competition

(source : hwangkwokhau)
    Tks

17. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I can't blame them for tactics, however it's harsh on the spectators. If it was me I would have gone for an exhibition trick-shot fest so at least it would have been ebtertaining. Like that crazy old tennis dude that plays a lob, shouts "MINE" then leaps the net to return his own shot :)

18. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

The only way to deal with it would be disqualify all four pairs, but I'm sure the IOC and BWF are too afraid of China to do anything so dramatic (and logical).

The players should never have been put in that position though (they were probably under orders from the coaches). Football (soccer) tournaments are played the same way, but the last group matches always take place simulataneously so it's much harder to manipulate the results (because you won't know what you need to do beforehand).

I'm surprised the IOC hadn't expected something like this though. Given match fixing in the past, they should have known something like this could happen.

19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    The korean-china match is a real farce. IOC should kick out ALL the china players to teach them a lesson. See this. Talk about sportsmanship in Olympics. Should allow only 1 player per event to get rid of this nonsense. Well done IOC and BWF! Shame on you. I've already said this much earlier.!! ;)

20. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

You're joking surely?