Seeding?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by StefanDO, Aug 1, 2012.

1. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    I'm not sure if I got something wrong here: There's a seeding, but now that the group play is over, I don't understand some situations in R16:

http://www.london2012.com/badminton/event/men-singles/phase=bdm001400/index.html

There are some unseeded players playing against each other, but e.g. Simon Santoso (#9 seed) plays against Lee Chong Wei (#1 seed). Why? I thought the sense of seeding is to prevent top players knocking each other out in early rounds, right? But now either SS or (less likely) LCW will be knocked out, while one of the less capable players will make it to the quarter finals. I'm not getting it.

2. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Simon is the 9th seed, which means that he is expected to reach the last 16 (9th to 16th seeds are expected to do this). It's the last 16 now, yeah, certainly an early round so Simon has fufilled his seeding, and would be expecting to go up against a higher seeded player (5th - 8th for QF, 3rd or 4th for SF and 1st and 2nd for final) It is his luck that he meets the 1st seed.

3. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. But why do you say it's his luck that he meets the 1st seed? I'd say bad luck that he doesn't meet him later instead(?)