How do you keep your focus?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pebulutangkis, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Pebulutangkis

Pebulutangkis Regular Member

Student
    I have noted after analysing my recent performances on the court that I have trouble keeping my focus. What I mean by this is that during a rally, I tend to take my eyes off the ball, and I end up being unprepared for my opponent's shot. This same problem also badly affects the timing of my overhead shots, like the lob, smash and drop shot.

Thus, I end up playing very badly and losing unnecessarily. I find this situation frustrating as it is not because of my lack of ability or tactical awareness, but because of my lack of focus and concentration. My friend told me that I can play very well actually, and from experience I usually beat him when I'm playing well (not trying to boast here). So i begin to wonder, why is it that I am able to focus and concentrate on certain occasions, and unable to do so on certain occasions.

I have found a thread about how to concentrate here . However I feel that what I'm looking for is specifically how to keep your eyes on the shuttle.

I would like to get some constructive feedback from the users of this forum. Thank you.

#1 Pebulutangkis, Sep 8, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2003
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    singles or doubles?

3. Pebulutangkis

Student
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

any particular situations. e.g. when opponent plays overhead shots from back of court, or when he has approached the net and plays forecourt shots?

5. Pebulutangkis

Student
    yes

when the opponent is doing drop shots/lobs from the back court and cross court net shots.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

have you created another thread by accident?:)

Cross court netshots - can you clarify? forecourt cross court netshots or cross court dropshots?

Certain players have weak points - I have difficulty myself reaching dropshots.

Does it occur after service or during rallies?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

threads merged

9. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

For me, I just try to be consistant in the first place and never get into the "habit" (if i can call it that) of letting other things distract me. I would suspect that's one reason why you take your eyes off the bird, not including taking your eyes off the bird to see where you're opponent is (that takes some getting used to).

What i can consider is for you to try some mental preperation before you match/rec game, etc. Just try to clear your mind before the match (something like a meditation), don't think about the match (if you want to do that, think the night before). When you go onto the court, stay loose and concentrate. It may take some time before you get consistant results.

One more thing, I'm not sure how long you've played badminton, but with practice and experience, you should be used to making good consistant shots..shots for your skill level.