User Tag List

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Results 154 to 170 of 385
  1. #154
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Yogyakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    2,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    sad. very sad.

  2. #155
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,484
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xXazn_romeoXx View Post
    So... Jwala said that the Japanese are guilty of dropping their match against them, giving the Indians a point in the standings...

    Yet the stands are Japan, and then India...

    So... Jwala is really just upset... That Japan HELPED the Indians qualify for the quarterfinals!

    Yet the Indians lost their remaining matches, and failed by a point. So THAT is the reason why they deserve to be in the quarterfinals!

    Not because the other two teams (the TOP 2 teams) actually won the group!

    Wow, troll if I ever saw one =]
    be fair to the Indian team they knew they can't qualify before they start their last match.
    The JAP were definitely guilty for match fixing, what do you expect with a Korean in charge?

  3. #156
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtam View Post
    I agree with Krisna, I think the WBF/IOC is concerned about its image. Fans were not happy and news of the match throwing was hitting news everywhere. They realised that they royally messed up the setup of the tournament and deflected the heat towards the players by DQing them. Its not about their image or fans, its about the athletes who wait 4 years for this opportunity. The Olympics is becoming too corporate and money driven, its disgusting.

    In my opinion, the olympics are to showcase the best talent. You can argue that the 4 teams didn't, but now that you DQ them, we now have a bunch of noobs (great players compared to you and I, but lets face it, noobs compared to the top players) in the most important part of the tourny. Who cares about round robin....no one.
    I have to agree. Instead of share the blames with the players, the IOC/BWF simply acting like god, and push the little guys under the bus.

  4. #157
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    suuuuuuuuuup Canada's gonna play for the Bronze! XD

    they most likely gonna go 1-5 getting trashed in all 5 games but hey they olympic semi-finalist ^^

  5. #158
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Right on!

    How dare they completely disqualify the players, for what, 'lack of effort', given the years of effort in training they have put in. One could argue they were giving their 'best effort' within the scope of the whole tournament, trying to advance as far into the tournament as possible.

    If the system encourages such match throwing, then it's its (the system and whoever determined this format) fault, and the IOC should indeed demand answers (and changes).

    As for the spectator's side, one sympathizes with the ticket buyers, but really, what the beep does viewability or entertainment have to do with the Olympic spirit, (other than what IOC has turned it into for the past ??? years (wish Dick Pound was voted president...)) How entertaining is shot putting or, weightlifting, or even water polo? Most sports are only entertaining to watch for the connoisseurs, the already-amateurs (i.e. fans) of the sport. And as badminton fans (and players), I think most of us can understand the reasons for their actions.

    Imagine if the 100m sprint was a round-robin format and that Hussein Bolt was running in a heat having already qualified for the elimination round. Should/would he be disqualified if he purposefully finished last and the spectators booed him? Of course not.

    Quote Originally Posted by xXazn_romeoXx View Post
    I agree with you here. The system is definitely the wrong party here, and not the players. Therefore, you should fix the system and people who run the system, not players who play under the system. There's lots of hate to China, individually, even though Korea and Indonesia are involved. Either the guise is "sportsmanship" or something else, it's because China wins too much, and it's not fair. I think life isn't fair. It's too bad, but someone in this world is always better than you. If the "sportsmanship" is that important, why don't be ban players for stall tactics, screaming after points and towel downs? I just don't see physically how it harms to let the other team win, especially when you have nothing to lose. Ethically, yes, but systems aren't perfectly ethical either. Why should lower seeded teams face top seeded teams first? Ethically, they should have a fair shot at winning the Gold medal too. Why don't they face teams of their calibre and then up? Or have the top seeded teams start with a negative point total. That would be ethically correct because top teams "smoke and destroy" low teams. Then it's all fair. I know I'm going far with this, but that's because this IS THAT silly. People need to know it's BWF's fault, and that changes must be made.

    By the way, I can bet you that none of this "pretending to try, and try to lose" stuff will happen from here on out until the end of the Olympics. Why? You think it's because they sent a message? No. It's because now they actually ARE playing for a medal. You lose, you go home. Knock-out style. Which is EXACTLY the way they should've started in the first place. Disappointing...

  6. #159
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,042
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lets get this right. These players were not just 'taking it easy' or 'conserving energy'. They were serving into the net and deliberately hitting shuttles out. They did this with malice and forethought. They definitely played with mens rea

    They were correctly judged guilty and they have no-one to blame but themselves.

  7. #160
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjashik View Post
    Imagine if the 100m sprint was a round-robin format and that Hussein Bolt was running in a heat having already qualified for the elimination round. Should/would he be disqualified if he purposefully finished last and the spectators booed him? Of course not.
    If that's the case, US basketball (men) will be 1st one out. Be it this year's team, or even 92 dream team. They clearly trying too hard to "show boat", rather than stick with their normal performance standard. Either they are "nice enough to not running up score" (quoted by Tunisia coach and many others in 92), or simply too much of ego to play as an effective team (this year), they are all "not trying hard" as they should. So, do we boot them out?

    What about Phleps, who lose quite a few race with physcial/mental mistakes this year? What about Jordyn Wieber, who suppose to be all around champion (women gymnastics), but did not even make the cut? What about the US archer (forgot him name), who suppose to be "the man", but lost in QF? And the list is on and on... when you argue "below standard performance"...

  8. #161
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    Lets get this right. These players were not just 'taking it easy' or 'conserving energy'. They were serving into the net and deliberately hitting shuttles out. They did this with malice and forethought. They definitely played with mens rea

    They were correctly judged guilty and they have no-one to blame but themselves.
    What about the 92 US baskeball team dribbling to end the match, rather than pouring on another 10 points at the end of each match? What about Tunisia coach thanks this year's team "not running up score". Aren't they on purposely "lower their standard" as well???

    Why losing a match in a quick way is not "take it easy while conserve engery"? They are not talking about conserve energy for this match. They are talking about conserve energy for following matches...

    Do you see all proferssonal sports simply use bench / rookie at the end of blow out game or when both are in / out playoff? Why not play with less quality is not "take it easy while conserve energy".

  9. #162
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,484
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I haven't follow the early rounds of this year's OLY swimming but I remember that USA used their B-team for qualifications thus allow their A-teams to conserve energy for the final.

    Should we ask for all their medals back?

  10. #163
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    "Lin says match manipulation not in Olympic spirit "

    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blog...ic-spirit.html

  11. #164
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    917
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I go by what you all are writing, I'm allowed to go kill dozens of people in a theater or crash planes into buildings because other people do it.

    It's not because other sports do it or because it has been done in the past that it's right to do it. It's a lack of respect to the fans and the sport and that will never be right. This event should be a warning to both the players and the BWF. To the players: don't **** around, and to the BWF: get your **** straight.

    The Olympics exist to showcase the BEST athletes in the world, and that includes seeing them perform at their best. There is also a difference between conserving energy and trying to lose. In one case, there is still some sort of entertainment going on. Even sending your back up players makes a better show.

    Seeing people trying to defend the players disgusts me. What they did is against the spirit of the Olympics, and more importantly against the spirit of sports in general. Shame on them for doing it and shame on the BWF for not foreseeing it. It's a well deserved sanction and I hope the BWF will also see the huge pressure that they have on their shoulders after the games are over.

  12. #165
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    1,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    I haven't follow the early rounds of this year's OLY swimming but I remember that USA used their B-team for qualifications thus allow their A-teams to conserve energy for the final.

    Should we ask for all their medals back?
    The B team played the sport, and played it to the best of their ability, if they messed up they were out. If you can't see the difference then frankly....

  13. #166
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    Lets get this right. These players were not just 'taking it easy' or 'conserving energy'. They were serving into the net and deliberately hitting shuttles out. They did this with malice and forethought. They definitely played with mens rea

    They were correctly judged guilty and they have no-one to blame but themselves.
    Lord Barrister,

    Would you be so kind as to elaborate on your use of the word 'malice'?

    Your humble subject,
    Edmund, knoweth not latin, Pevensie

  14. #167
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,042
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjashik View Post
    Lord Barrister,

    Would you be so kind as to elaborate on your use of the word 'malice'?

    Your humble subject,
    Edmund, knoweth not latin, Pevensie
    they sought(eth) to vengefully force upon another such suffering as would be dealt whence one doth compete against their higher seeded compatriots and would-be opponents in the succeeding round.

    (translation: I just used it because it often goes in front of forethought)

  15. #168
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    If I go by what you all are writing, I'm allowed to go kill dozens of people in a theater or crash planes into buildings because other people do it.
    You should quote the thread to which you are replying for clarity. It looks like you are replying to the preceding post, but still unclear.



    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    The Olympics exist to showcase the BEST athletes in the world, and that includes seeing them perform at their best. There is also a difference between conserving energy and trying to lose. In one case, there is still some sort of entertainment going on. Even sending your back up players makes a better show.

    Seeing people trying to defend the players disgusts me. What they did is against the spirit of the Olympics, and more importantly against the spirit of sports in general.
    I guess you missed Eddie the Eagle at the 88 Olympics, or the Camerounian rower Paul Ndoumbe who came in last to a standing ovation in London, or sprinter Derek Redmond in 92 Barcelona who also finished last to a standing ovation. I am sure there are hundreds of other such Olympic examples, where either the athletes were not among (or anywhere near) the best, or whose performance was lacking, but nevertheless their stories inspire us. It seems you misunderstand the 'Olympic spirit' you speak of.

    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    Shame on them for doing it and shame on the BWF for not foreseeing it. It's a well deserved sanction and I hope the BWF will also see the huge pressure that they have on their shoulders after the games are over.
    Many of us (all I hope) agree that BWF should be blasted and are the ones who are really at fault here.

  16. #169
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,042
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    What about the 92 US baskeball team dribbling to end the match, rather than pouring on another 10 points at the end of each match? What about Tunisia coach thanks this year's team "not running up score". Aren't they on purposely "lower their standard" as well???

    Why losing a match in a quick way is not "take it easy while conserve engery"? They are not talking about conserve energy for this match. They are talking about conserve energy for following matches...

    Do you see all proferssonal sports simply use bench / rookie at the end of blow out game or when both are in / out playoff? Why not play with less quality is not "take it easy while conserve energy".
    Funny, I don't see any mention of basketball in any rules/regulations pertaining to badminton, or badminton in the olympics. Having said that: The basketball team did enough to win, and running down the clock is a valid tactic and does not bring the game into disrepute, even if it is boring.

    Why losing a match in a quick way is not "take it easy while conserve engery"? Yes it does conserve energy. It also brings the game into disrepute by deliberately trying to lose

    Do you see all proferssonal sports simply use bench / rookie at the end of blow out game or when both are in / out playoff? Why not play with less quality is not "take it easy while conserve energy".
    Conserving energy is not deliberately trying to lose to manipulate a favourable draw.

  17. #170
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    they sought(eth) to vengefully force upon another such suffering as would be dealt whence one doth compete against their higher seeded compatriots and would-be opponents in the succeeding round.

    (translation: I just used it because it often goes in front of forethought)
    Ah, thou art kind, my Lord, to provide the translation as the elaboration was surpassing my understanding.

    But if I may, is it not the natural course of events whereby players or teams try to "vengefully force upon another such suffering" as the shame of defeat when they labour for victory? So lest I completely
    misunderstand, sport is altogether 'malicious'?

    Your lowly servant,
    Junior Wormwood

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •