User Tag List

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jjashik View Post
    You should quote the thread to which you are replying for clarity. It looks like you are replying to the preceding post, but still unclear.

I guess you missed Eddie the Eagle at the 88 Olympics, or the Camerounian rower Paul Ndoumbe who came in last to a standing ovation in London, or sprinter Derek Redmond in 92 Barcelona who also finished last to a standing ovation. I am sure there are hundreds of other such Olympic examples, where either the athletes were not among (or anywhere near) the best, or whose performance was lacking, but nevertheless their stories inspire us. It seems you misunderstand the 'Olympic spirit' you speak of.

Many of us (all I hope) agree that BWF should be blasted and are the ones who are really at fault here.
    Sorry, I wasn't directing it to anyone in particular, but to everyone who tries to defend the players and say that all that matters is the medals and that doing anything for a medal is alright.

Also, if people get to the Olympics, it surely is not because they cooked breakfast for the organizers. It's because they are the best in their country and in the world. Even if they finish last, they're still amongst the best in the world, and they tried their best. That is why they get ovations. I am not saying that people should only respect the first 3 in each sport, because that is dumb. I also want to poke my eyes out when I read people saying that people in the QF are crap because they didn't win their games. They're good, better than anyone here even, and tried their best and that's what counts.

I perfectly understand what is the Olympic spirit and if you are trying to defend these players (I don't know if you are), you shouldn't try to give lessons about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 2 cents worth...good on the BWF for taking decisive action (driven by fear that if they don't, badminton could be removed from the Olympics...IMHO).

I think the tournament ref screwed up on this one as he should have disqualified the pairs in the first match sending a strong message to the subsequent pairs in the second match. if that has happened, then that Korean pair and Indonesian pair would have battled it out. I guessed LYB is no longer chuckling about the "incident".

Hey, before anyone start to flame me...I am Canadian of Chinese descent so no I am not anti-Chinese

Anyhow, the situation is a lucky break for our Canadian women doubles so Go! Canada! Go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hesitant to make this analogy,

If a woman gets drunk, doesn't mean you can take advantage of her. . .

It's the bwf's job to close this loophole. It's the sports persons honour to not take advantage. .

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mindfields View Post
    Hesitant to make this analogy,

If a woman gets drunk, doesn't mean you can take advantage of her. . .

It's the bwf's job to close this loophole. It's the sports persons honour to not take advantage. .
    are you implying that BWF is a drunk?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    They probably were when they made the Round Robin decision!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    Also, if people get to the Olympics, it surely is not because they cooked breakfast for the organizers. It's because they are the best in their country and in the world. Even if they finish last, they're still amongst the best in the world, and they tried their best. That is why they get ovations. ...

I perfectly understand what is the Olympic spirit and if you are trying to defend these players (I don't know if you are), you shouldn't try to give lessons about it.
    Best in their country, yes; among the best in the world, no. Sometimes they qualify because they are the ONLY athletes from a country. But indeed the ovations are for their valiant efforts, because that is what we hold as honourable, even more than the results themselves.

And if trying to get a better draw by (albeit blatantly) throwing a game is a 'better effort' (in the bigger picture) then that's a because of the format.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best in their country, yes; among the best in the world, no. Sometimes they qualify because they are the ONLY athletes from a country. But indeed the ovations are for their valiant efforts, because that is what we hold as honourable, even more than the results themselves.

And if trying to get a better draw by (albeit blatantly) throwing a game is a 'better effort' (in the bigger picture) then that's a because of the format.
    I see what you mean. But to me, real effort comes from trying to win and play your best. Trying to lose just so you get an easier way to the medal is just wrong. Makes your medal that much less awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    What about the 92 US baskeball team dribbling to end the match, rather than pouring on another 10 points at the end of each match? What about Tunisia coach thanks this year's team "not running up score". Aren't they on purposely "lower their standard" as well???

Why losing a match in a quick way is not "take it easy while conserve engery"? They are not talking about conserve energy for this match. They are talking about conserve energy for following matches...

Do you see all proferssonal sports simply use bench / rookie at the end of blow out game or when both are in / out playoff? Why not play with less quality is not "take it easy while conserve energy".
    Ah the old 'moral relativism' argument rears it's head. I guess shooting people in a movie theater is now ok as long as you keep the body count below 12?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    Then you are also implying that the players (team CHN esp. for all the match-fixing in recent years) as the molester.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    "Lin says match manipulation not in Olympic spirit "

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blog...ic-spirit.html
    Sorry - I had to chuckle at this. We all know why.

Kicking the offending pairs out was, IMO, probably the only thing that could have prevented badminton being removed from Rio in 2014. If they're going to threaten badminton's Olympic status (which would probably kill the sport in international terms), they deserve the book AND the lectern thrown at them. And when I see Logosz snapping his Achilles tendon and Sato ripping her knee to shreds and trying to carry on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The media is definitely making a big fuzz about out of this , it happens in other sport as well when you have group stage (playing at different time) . If it was a lesser badminton nation involve , it would not be a big issue but since it is china ,S.Korea, who both are also topping in the overall Olympic medals, the news spread like wildfire.

Anyway good luck to Bruce-Li in their semis , they played well today and deserve to be in a Gold/silver medal chance

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suetyan View Post
    Really? I totally agree to disqualify these four pairs. They don't even respect badminton as a sport.
    Yup, right decision for players who don't appreciate sportsmanship. They got what they done, disqualified from Olympic Games.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, thou art kind, my Lord, to provide the translation as the elaboration was surpassing my understanding.

But if I may, is it not the natural course of events whereby players or teams try to "vengefully force upon another such suffering" as the shame of defeat when they labour for victory? So lest I completely
    misunderstand, sport is altogether 'malicious'?

Your lowly servant,
    Junior Wormwood
    My learned friend, you have seen straight through me as if I were but a vestige walking amongst mortals.

I cannot fault your logic and doff my hat to thee.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Staiger1 View Post
    Anyway good luck to Bruce-Li in their semis , they played well today and deserve to be in a Gold/silver medal chance
    sorry, all I could think about after that was Bruce Lee playing badminton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by **KZ** View Post
    i predict...WD gold DEN silver CHN bronze RUS
    No, ZYL/TQ still capable of winning Gold here....................

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmarc View Post
    No, ZYL/TQ still capable of winning Gold here....................
    Oh, definitely. With YY/WYL out, WD is wide open but ZYL/TQ has as good or better odds of winning. Only concern is ZYL playing XD and if she makes to both, how would she fare in the final, playing 2 matches same night?

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast