User Tag List

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Results 273 to 289 of 385
  1. #273
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    [QUOTE=thunder.tw;1946436
    The non CHN teams handled it badly. If I was in the Koreans place and saw that the CHN team was tanking our match I would have simply grabbed my gut and faked intestinal distressed and concede the match (did they learn nothing from Lin Dan?)
    [/QUOTE]

    You don't think in this case you won't be taken to hospital and is subjected to detailed examination. And since they won't find anything is wrong with you, they DQ you. You don't think that would happen? After there's always the first time.

  2. #274
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    855
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hcyong View Post
    I win Game 1
    My stamina is bust, so I deliberately drag and throw away Game 2 to take a breather for Game 3
    The crowd does not like that and starts booing, the umpire gives me a warning, but I really want to win the match, so I continued to lose Game 2
    In Game 3, I play the best that I can (I may win or lose)

    Do I get disqualified for throwing away Game 2? Well, the best-of-3 system allows me to do what I did.
    The problem is -

    The Athletes and their coaches care about winning, and would use all means "legal" to do so.
    The fans, however, couldn't care less who wins - they want exciting matches.
    The other countries that don't have enough athletes to use this kind of strategy would of-course join the rank and file to condone such act.

  3. #275
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    in front of my lappie
    Posts
    870
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    You don't think in this case you won't be taken to hospital and is subjected to detailed examination. And since they won't find anything is wrong with you, they DQ you. You don't think that would happen? After there's always the first time.
    but LD's walkover reasons got doctors / medical staff's support. how about it? he did it legally then i supposed?

  4. #276
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    [0,0,0]
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    You don't think in this case you won't be taken to hospital and is subjected to detailed examination. And since they won't find anything is wrong with you, they DQ you. You don't think that would happen? After there's always the first time.
    Taken to the hospital and examined for what? What are they going to say when you tell them you have an upset stomach? "Er no you don't"?? Stomach cramps are the easiest thing in the world to fake.

  5. #277
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    The problem is -

    The Athletes and their coaches care about winning, and would use all means "legal" to do so.
    The fans, however, couldn't care less who wins - they want exciting matches.
    The other countries that don't have enough athletes to use this kind of strategy would of-course join the rank and file to condone such act.
    Well said.

    That's why I call it sour grape. So, instead of do the training and improve their own system, they play the political correctness games to back stab. Whatever...

  6. #278
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    The problem is -

    The Athletes and their coaches care about winning, and would use all means "legal" to do so.
    The fans, however, couldn't care less who wins - they want exciting matches.
    The other countries that don't have enough athletes to use this kind of strategy would of-course join the rank and file to condone such act.
    That's just the typical american answer. "You're upset because you're bad".

    It would make sense if the involved countries didn't condone the acts, however both the leaders and citizens of these countries condone the act.

    This is the classical "Does the end justify the means" question, and the moral answer to that question has always been no. However, people don't think in a moral way nowadays, blaming your faults on someone else is much easier.

    P.S. I'm not saying the BWF and IOC can't be blamed, but trying to justify the players/coaches/teams is just wrong.
    Last edited by yan.v; 08-02-2012 at 05:51 PM.

  7. #279
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    World Wide Web
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Good to see the Chinese pair apologizing maybe the problem is that the badminton event felt like just another superseries tournament, where they can get away with it. An OLYMPIC badminton tournament should be different somehow it only comes every 4 years. I personally would like to see a knockout round and to see more countries involved, and yes I know some countries are out classed but it gives the other countries a chance to participate you never know an upset could take place where a lesser know country could topple a powerhouse. It has to be made more special somehow it's the Olympics and donít forget the Olympics is a great way to showcase the sport outside the badminton community. I'm in Australia and the only news coverage the sport gets is the disqualification. It deserves better.

  8. #280
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H8work View Post
    Good to see the Chinese pair apologizing maybe the problem is that the badminton event felt like just another superseries tournament, where they can get away with it. An OLYMPIC badminton tournament should be different somehow it only comes every 4 years. I personally would like to see a knockout round and to see more countries involved, and yes I know some countries are out classed but it gives the other countries a chance to participate you never know an upset could take place where a lesser know country could topple a powerhouse. It has to be made more special somehow it's the Olympics and don’t forget the Olympics is a great way to showcase the sport outside the badminton community. I'm in Australia and the only news coverage the sport gets is the disqualification. It deserves better.
    The problem is, Olympic itself is far from pure sport and common wealthy these days. Boss and fans will not give Yu and LYB a break (or 7 others), even if they do boost up the image, but lose a medal... There're always 2 sides of the story, and I do feel it for them, even though, I do not entire agree with what they did.

  9. #281
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    World Wide Web
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Apology English dub


  10. #282
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That interview and apology made them look much better . Still, tarnished their own credibility and hurt the sport short term, but I believe it will bring positive change to the sport in the long run.

  11. #283
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oslo
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i think sport is not entertainment. it's not like a bull-fight game which the bull has to fight to death in every game to satisfy the viewers. sport is mainly for the players who compete, not really for the viewer. we still can have sport game without viewer, but we can not have sport game without player.

    IMO, I am not sure if this particular CHN/KOR/INA match-fixings actually really cheated/brought disadvantage to remaining pairs as those didn't affect who qualified for knock-out stage. i feel it is more to viewers' interest only for just one night.

    with this DQ, the viewers not only failed to watch quality matches in the group-stage, but also became fail to watch quality matches in the next knock-out stage with the top pairs absence due to DQ.

  12. #284
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinug View Post
    i think sport is not entertainment. it's not like a bull-fight game which the bull has to fight to death in every game to satisfy the viewers. sport is mainly for the players who compete, not really for the viewer. we still can have sport game without viewer, but we can not have sport game without player.

    IMO, I am not sure if this particular CHN/KOR/INA match-fixings actually really cheated/brought disadvantage to remaining pairs as those didn't affect who qualified for knock-out stage. i feel it is more to viewers' interest only for just one night.

    with this DQ, the viewers not only failed to watch quality matches in the group-stage, but also became fail to watch quality matches in the next knock-out stage with the top pairs absence due to DQ.
    First of all, what these players did was not "Sport".

    Sport is all forms of competitive physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness and provide entertainment to participants. - Wikipedia
    There was no physical activity or entertainment during that game.

    Also, the teams that participated in the QF were still top 40 teams in the world. It's not like they put random people on the court.

    You can say that the games weren't as good as games between the top 5 teams, but saying that the games weren't of quality is pure elitism/fanboyism coming from someone who couldn't even beat these players even if they played with their wrong hands. There is such a big skill gap between you and these players that saying they are bad or can't produce quality play is pretentious, pessimistic and stupid.

    Being disappointed that you can't see all of the top 5 teams is one thing, but insulting the other players isn't right. Instead of being pissy, you should get over it and enjoy the games, because they were quality games.
    Last edited by yan.v; 08-02-2012 at 08:35 PM.

  13. #285
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinug View Post
    i think sport is not entertainment. it's not like a bull-fight game which the bull has to fight to death in every game to satisfy the viewers. sport is mainly for the players who compete, not really for the viewer. we still can have sport game without viewer, but we can not have sport game without player.

    IMO, I am not sure if this particular CHN/KOR/INA match-fixings actually really cheated/brought disadvantage to remaining pairs as those didn't affect who qualified for knock-out stage. i feel it is more to viewers' interest only for just one night.

    with this DQ, the viewers not only failed to watch quality matches in the group-stage, but also became fail to watch quality matches in the next knock-out stage with the top pairs absence due to DQ.
    I agree. It reminds me of something I had to come to grips of when I was learning about Sports Psychology, and competing as a player and coaching players. Life isn't fair. It's not ethical somethings, it's not just sometimes, and it's not right sometimes. Sports becomes an escape for us all. We forget about all our problems outside of sports, no matter if we're playing in it, or cheering for a team or a player. Therefore, we try to make sports into our "ideal" life. All fair and all justified. But the problem is that Sports is a part of life, and life isn't fair. There are always bad calls, and unjustified decisions that seem terrible. Once you understand and accept that sports isn't always going to be fair and kind to you, you'll be that much of a better player. You take sports by the reign and you CREATE your luck and your success. IMHO, all 4 pairs did just that. They took it upon themselves to create an easier path (because who doesn't want an easier life?), and sports told them it's not fair. Too bad, you win some, you lose some.

  14. #286
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Umm, I don't know where you're from Sinug, no offence directed at you, but I play badminton for entertainment. I watch top players play and compete at the elite level for entertainment. They are beyond my abilities. In essence, heroes of the sport whom I look up to and emulate some shots to become better at the sport and thus enjoy more entertainment in the future.

    Last I check... Ironman, Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Avengers, (Aquaman who sucks btw), Green Lantern... list goes on, are all fictitious heroes which millions upon millions of kids, nerds, geeks, spend their money on for ENTERTAINMENT. Also, it's a business, would you like it if your home city spent 30billions dollars of your tax money to host an non televised/non profit taking world tournament to qualify in your words the true Sport? My guess of your answer is NO.

  15. #287
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    First of all, what these players did was not "Sport".



    There was no physical activity or entertainment during that game.

    Also, the teams that participated in the QF were still top 40 teams in the world. It's not like they put random people on the court.

    You can say that the games weren't as good as games between the top 5 teams, but saying that the games weren't of quality is pure elitism/fanboyism coming from someone who couldn't even beat these players even if they played with their wrong hands. There is such a big skill gap between you and these players that saying they are bad or can't produce quality play is pretentious, pessimistic and stupid.

    Being disappointed that you can't see all of the top 5 teams is one thing, but insulting the other players isn't right. Instead of being pissy, you should get over it and enjoy the games, because they were quality games.
    I think he just meant that we can all play this sport without the audience, but we can't have an audience and no players. Therefore, sports isn't entertainment. It's just entertaining I kind of stole that from an earlier article. It was really good. Check it out. it's titled Missisauga.com or something =]

  16. #288
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamelessx25 View Post
    Umm, I don't know where you're from Sinug, no offence directed at you, but I play badminton for entertainment. I watch top players play and compete at the elite level for entertainment. They are beyond my abilities. In essence, heroes of the sport whom I look up to and emulate some shots to become better at the sport and thus enjoy more entertainment in the future.

    Last I check... Ironman, Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Avengers, (Aquaman who sucks btw), Green Lantern... list goes on, are all fictitious heroes which millions upon millions of kids, nerds, geeks, spend their money on for ENTERTAINMENT. Also, it's a business, would you like it if your home city spent 30billions dollars of your tax money to host an non televised/non profit taking world tournament to qualify in your words the true Sport? My guess of your answer is NO.
    I'll bump the article. It's quite a good read.

    http://www.mississauga.com/iphone/sp...or-the-birdies

  17. #289
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xXazn_romeoXx View Post
    I think he just meant that we can all play this sport without the audience, but we can't have an audience and no players. Therefore, sports isn't entertainment. It's just entertaining I kind of stole that from an earlier article. It was really good. Check it out. it's titled Missisauga.com or something =]
    We ourselves is the audience, we feel good after a winner, and fault ourselves after making a bad shot decision. We are our own judges. Could I have beaten that person doing X instead of Y? That's entertainment, we engage our minds and bodies in a struggle to best our opponent. If something that's entertaining... wouldn't that make it entertainment?

    What's your definition of entertainment vs entertaining? You got it from the article, so paste their definition.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •