User Tag List

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thunder.tw View Post
    Taken to the hospital and examined for what? What are they going to say when you tell them you have an upset stomach? "Er no you don't"?? Stomach cramps are the easiest thing in the world to fake.
    If your were the competing athlete, would you like to find out for yourself? After all, I'd suspect the DQ'ed players didn't think the IOC/BWF would really do anything to them either... Nothing happened before.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    That's just the typical american answer. "You're upset because you're bad".

It would make sense if the involved countries didn't condone the acts, however both the leaders and citizens of these countries condone the act.

This is the classical "Does the end justify the means" question, and the moral answer to that question has always been no. However, people don't think in a moral way nowadays, blaming your faults on someone else is much easier.

P.S. I'm not saying the BWF and IOC can't be blamed, but trying to justify the players/coaches/teams is just wrong.
    I'm not sure we can call them wrong. They perhaps just did it too obvious this time. You see, given the opportunities, now you've INA, KOR joining. And JPN was named a suspect. Can you believe Thomas Lund himself, and Gail Emms don't have hidden agenda? Are you really sure? I mean, are you really sure of anything at all?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    That's just the typical american answer. "You're upset because you're bad".
    Incidentally, why do you think you need to add this in your response? BTW, I'm a Canadian as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sinug View Post
    i think sport is not entertainment. it's not like a bull-fight game which the bull has to fight to death in every game to satisfy the viewers. sport is mainly for the players who compete, not really for the viewer. we still can have sport game without viewer, but we can not have sport game without player.

IMO, I am not sure if this particular CHN/KOR/INA match-fixings actually really cheated/brought disadvantage to remaining pairs as those didn't affect who qualified for knock-out stage. i feel it is more to viewers' interest only for just one night.

with this DQ, the viewers not only failed to watch quality matches in the group-stage, but also became fail to watch quality matches in the next knock-out stage with the top pairs absence due to DQ.
    Exactly my sentiment. First there's the sport. Then there're the viewers, and those who sells tickets and makes $$$ from those viewers. The players compete to win, rather than to entertain. All the deceptions, tactics, tight spinning shots, hard smashes are there to help achieve one final goal - to win. It's only a side-effect that we also find what they do amusing, exciting and entertaining!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bakulaw View Post
    GIVEN: The players/coaches/BWF are at fault.

QUESTION: In case YY/WYL did not throw the match and eventually met ZYL/TQ, thus avoiding the CHN-CHN finals; how would people react? I bet people would say they were stupid(honorable but stupid!) for not losing to KOR in the QF.

Sadly, it's a lose-lose situation for them...

the tourney format sucks... BIGTIME! lol...
    I think, in the final analysis, after all the criticism of match format, the players did make a very serious mistake -

They made it too obvious, and too un-entertaining. If they could lose in a more entertaining way, no one would care. The fans, who're arguing/looking for entertainment would be satisfied. It'd be much more difficult for anyone to accuse them, beyond any reasonable doubts, that they threw the match.

That's it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    I think, in the final analysis, after all the criticism of match format, the players did make a very serious mistake -They made it too obvious, and too un-entertaining. If they could lose in a more entertaining way, no one would care. The fans, who're arguing/looking for entertainment would be satisfied. It'd be much more difficult for anyone to accuse them, beyond any reasonable doubts, that they threw the match.That's it.
    have to agree on this, this time it was too obvious... It's like murder inside the police station and u expect police do nothing ?.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing is, BOTH teams wanted to lose. If this is the case, what'd be the better than to lose in the first, or second shots?

After reading all the posts here, I watched the video. Man, it was hilarious. And incidentally, if LYB criticizes the players, I wonder what the 2 coaches told the two players during intermission? Did they advise the players to stop this silly play? I suppose not. In fact, I'm also wondering if they'd remind the players that they did it too obvious this time. Try to make it less obvious perhaps?

Also, if you were to look at the comments from the country's official newspaper as a representative of what the general public is thinking, you may be misled. The newspaper Xinhua is pro-government. They're known for being the party's spokesman.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suddenly I have this crazy idea -

I remember this IQ question I ran into when I was a kid. There's a horse race between two people. The unusual thing is that, they're trying to lose. Who ever loses actually wins the race. So for a long time, neither one moves. Finally, they figure out a way - they exchange horses. Now a real race begins.

So to avoid this kinda of throw-matches, perhaps we can add one more twist, the winner of the match gets to choose who to advance in that match, themselves or their opponents. So the players would still have the strategic goal achieved, while the audience get what they pay for. Win-win!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    Funny thing is, BOTH teams wanted to lose. If this is the case, what'd be the better than to lose in the first, or second shots?After reading all the posts here, I watched the video. Man, it was hilarious. And incidentally, if LYB criticizes the players, I wonder what the 2 coaches told the two players during intermission? Did they advise the players to stop this silly play? I suppose not. In fact, I'm also wondering if they'd remind the players that they did it too obvious this time. Try to make it less obvious perhaps?Also, if you were to look at the comments from the country's official newspaper as a representative of what the general public is thinking, you may be misled. The newspaper Xinhua is pro-government. They're known for being the party's spokesman.
    the way they throw the match that force bwf to take this steps. I find it funny they are people who defend these players action in bc, I just wonder if those who defended these actions are true bad,inton lover or just keyboard warriors? I play badminton 5 times a week with different group of people and not even a single of my partners disagree with bwf action...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xXazn_romeoXx View Post
    ...Once you understand and accept that sports isn't always going to be fair and kind to you, you'll be that much of a better player. You take sports by the reign and you CREATE your luck and your success. IMHO, all 4 pairs did just that. They took it upon themselves to create an easier path (because who doesn't want an easier life?), and sports told them it's not fair. Too bad, you win some, you lose some.
    Wow, I would like to see you when after pouring yourself into an endeavour (sport or otherwise) for 20 years and get kicked out for putting on a bad show, even though there was justification for your actions. And then for a by-standing azn_romeo to dust his hands off and say "too bad..."

And as for creating luck, that's a load of bs. Luck does not exist. So many people, especially on tv, say 'good luck' but that is absolutely meaningless crap. If they mean so, they should say, 'I wish you the best' or 'I wish you success', or 'I'll be cheering for you', or 'have a good time'...etc.

If those two games were insulting to the audience, then (as more astute bc-members have previously said) this disqualification is a greater insult to the audience for the elimination rounds who have paid to see those who qualified.

ps, I think you meant 'reins' not 'reigns'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If those two games were insulting to the audience, then (as more astute bc-members have previously said) this disqualification is a greater insult to the audience for the elimination rounds who have paid to see those who qualified.
    Totally agree!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is getting on my t**s!!

everyone seem to forgot that the Japanese started it and now got away with a silver.

the only reason for their case slipped under the radar is there were 2 willing partners, JPN wanted to lose and TPE was happy to win thus got themselves into the last 8 and kept the IND out.

BWF said they had look into it and subsequently rejected IND's compliant/protest.
    so, the message is as long as you have 2 willing partners and didn't made it to look too bad it will be OK.

talking about the incompetent of the BWF!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gamelessx25 View Post
    Dude, that's the dumbass from the TorStar lol. People are ripping him up on their comments page. This link you posted seems edited and copied from a few sources. And FYI it is entertainment if it's entertaining.

I read fictional books for entertainment... thus fiction reading (the act) is an entertaining activity. I read a text book to learn, it's boring sometimes to memorize terms and facts... thus it's not an entertaining activity, it's an learning activity.
    Dude, how young are you? You really can't differentiate entertainMENT from entertainING?

Entertainment defines the inherent goal or purpose of the activity, while entertaining defines the outcome. So a movie is entertainment (meaning it was made to entertain), while one could easily leave a cinema (or turn off the tv) saying, "what a bad movie, that was not entertaining at all!"

On the other hand, watching a dung beetle push his dinner up a hill can be very entertaining, while it was never its intention (were it capable) for it to be entertainment.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    this is getting on my t**s!!

everyone seem to forgot that the Japanese started it and now got away with a silver.

the only reason for their case slipped under the radar is there were 2 willing partners, JPN wanted to lose and TPE was happy to win thus got themselves into the last 8 and kept the IND out.

BWF said they had look into it and subsequently rejected IND's compliant/protest.
    so, the message is as long as you have 2 willing partners and didn't made it to look too bad it will be OK.

talking about the incompetent of the BWF!
    the japs wasnt that obvious, the others who VERY OBVIOUS... BWF need evidences to act...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai View Post
    the japs wasnt that obvious, the others who VERY OBVIOUS... BWF need evidences to act...
    that's exactly what i'm saying.
    as long as you don't made them (bwf) look bad they will just turn a blind eye, as always.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jjashik View Post
    Dude, how young are you? You really can't differentiate entertainMENT from entertainING?

Entertainment defines the inherent goal or purpose of the activity, while entertaining defines the outcome. So a movie is entertainment (meaning it was made to entertain), while one could easily leave a cinema (or turn off the tv) saying, "what a bad movie, that was not entertaining at all!"

On the other hand, watching a dung beetle push his dinner up a hill can be very entertaining, while it was never its intention (were it capable) for it to be entertainment.
    I was entertaining with some thought like this. Apparently, you've a good command of English, and was able to articulate it very clearly.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    that's exactly what i'm saying.
    as long as you don't made them (bwf) look bad they will just turn a blind eye, as always.
    I dont think its "blind eye" but rather BWF need concrete proofs... If they simply Disqualify players without concrete proof like the one Yuyang & frens gave. BWF can get sue for millions...

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast