User Tag List

View Poll Results: who's to be blamed for the match throwing?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • The players are at fault for throw matches

38 17.67%
  • BWF is to blame for implementing group structure

77 35.81%
  • no one / other are to be blamed.

7 3.26%
  • both players and BWF are to be blamed

93 43.26%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Olympics badminton: South Korea sorry over match-throwing row

BBC Sport, 3 August 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19116701

The head of South Korea's badminton delegation has issued an apology over the Olympics match-throwing scandal, the Yonhap news agency reports.

Two pairs from South Korea, along with a pair from China and Indonesia, were disqualified from the women's doubles.
    They were accused of wanting to lose, in an attempt to manipulate the draw for the knockout stage.

"I deeply apologize for tainting the honour of Korea," said head badminton coach Sung Han-kook.

"I recognise my failure to live up to the responsibility as the head coach to properly manage the athletes."

The players were accused of "not using one's best efforts to win" and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport".

South Korean appealed over the expulsion of pairs Jung Kyung-eun and Kim Ha-na and third seeds Ha Jung-Eun and Kim Min-Jung, but it was rejected by the Badminton World Federation.

China's head coach Li Yongbo has also issued an apology after the world number one pairing pair of Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli were also disqualified as part of the controversy.

Yu also went on Chinese state television to say:"First of all, I want to apologise to our fans. We didn't play with the Olympic spirit. It has reflected very badly on us."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Olympics badminton: Coaches of disqualified players face probe

BBC Sport, 2 August 2012
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19091234

Excerpts:

..."It's important to make sure it's not just the athletes that are punished," said IOC spokesman Mark Adams.

...British Olympic Association chairman Lord Moynihan said the format now needed to be investigated
    He said: "It is unacceptable for any athlete not to give it their best.

"I don't think it is wise to have a format which could create the environment and conditions [for that to happen] and I'm sure the BWF will have to look at the implications of this."

Chinese Olympic officials have already demanded that the players involved in the scandal "reflect deeply on it" and "publicly apologise".

...China's badminton coach Li Yongbo said he should take the blame for the incident, which Chinese state media said "violates the Olympic spirit of fair competition".

"As head coach, I owe the supporters of Chinese badminton and the Chinese TV audiences an apology," the Xinhua news agency quoted him as saying.

"Chinese players failed to demonstrate the fine tradition and fighting spirit of the national team. It's me to blame."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Olympics badminton: South Korea sorry over match-throwing row

BBC Sport, 3 August 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19116701

The head of South Korea's badminton delegation has issued an apology over the Olympics match-throwing scandal, the Yonhap news agency reports.

Two pairs from South Korea, along with a pair from China and Indonesia, were disqualified from the women's doubles.
    They were accused of wanting to lose, in an attempt to manipulate the draw for the knockout stage.

"I deeply apologize for tainting the honour of Korea," said head badminton coach Sung Han-kook.

"I recognise my failure to live up to the responsibility as the head coach to properly manage the athletes."

The players were accused of "not using one's best efforts to win" and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport".

South Korean appealed over the expulsion of pairs Jung Kyung-eun and Kim Ha-na and third seeds Ha Jung-Eun and Kim Min-Jung, but it was rejected by the Badminton World Federation.

China's head coach Li Yongbo has also issued an apology after the world number one pairing pair of Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli were also disqualified as part of the controversy.

Yu also went on Chinese state television to say:"First of all, I want to apologise to our fans. We didn't play with the Olympic spirit. It has reflected very badly on us."
    i really like to know the Korean's appeal based on what ground!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    i really like to know the Korean's appeal based on what ground!!
    Probably because they won comfortably. I think it must have been a harder decision at least to DQ Koreans since they whipped the quality china pair 21-11 21-14. Still they got sucked into it to much so bye bye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmm. Guess I didn't miss much when I more or less quit badminton years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Song Tribute To The Disqualified Players....Bye bye black sheep have you any wordsYes sir yes sir been threated like a foolOne by the master (BWF) who sleep all the wayAnd one by the cocky coach who lead me down the drain

7. Likes cobalt, pjswift liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the poll seems to be missing a possible choice, 'Li Yonbo (and the politically higher up) the ultimate douchebag' - i will pick this one. i havent read through all the posts, but my choice probably just echoes many of the same on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Olympics badminton: Coaches of disqualified players face probeBBC Sport, 2 August 2012http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19091234Excerpts:..."It's important to make sure it's not just the athletes that are punished," said IOC spokesman Mark Adams....British Olympic Association chairman Lord Moynihan said the format now needed to be investigated He said: "It is unacceptable for any athlete not to give it their best. "I don't think it is wise to have a format which could create the environment and conditions [for that to happen] and I'm sure the BWF will have to look at the implications of this." Chinese Olympic officials have already demanded that the players involved in the scandal "reflect deeply on it" and "publicly apologise". ...China's badminton coach Li Yongbo said he should take the blame for the incident, which Chinese state media said "violates the Olympic spirit of fair competition". "As head coach, I owe the supporters of Chinese badminton and the Chinese TV audiences an apology," the Xinhua news agency quoted him as saying. "Chinese players failed to demonstrate the fine tradition and fighting spirit of the national team. It's me to blame."
    LYB made China, the country, lose face in front of the whole world. Finally the truth is revealed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally think the coaches are to be blame because they the ones who instruct players what to do when they in the court.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    He was still in the finals right? He still needed to be in top 2 or 3 in the Heats to go into the finals(win), he could not get last(lose). If Usain Bolt lost, then he'll be out of the finals. If he lost, he would be questioned why. If it was found he purposely lost,, there'll be investigations as to whether he took bribes or coerced/blackmailed to do so.

Conserving energy and deliberately/purposely losing is a different matter. Running is not a good example, look up lawn bowling.

The WD players also still just needed to be in the top 2 of the group, they can afford to lose to one pair, just like Michael Johnson can afford to lose to one or two athlete in the heats.

However, there is a distinction because the WD players are deliberately choosing their draw, but in athletics, there is no such thing as a draw; you run with everyone else in the next round. So, there is not even the slightest hint of scandal if Johnson or Bolt does not finish first in the heats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gamelessx25 View Post
    What are you trying to say? Why in the world would they get banned if the tournament said the gold medal goes to the person that loses? They're playing by the rules here by missing shots if that's the case :P. In your scenario, the person who is "cheating" would be the person playing to win lol.

Come again?
    How about this: "You must try your best to win, but it's the loser that gets the gold."

This reminds me of the riddle where a man told both his sons to race their camels, but the catch is that the one with the slower camel will get all his inheritance. So, it's obvious both sons will try to lose (if the inheritance is what each wants). Of course, we all know (I think) how it ends. Unfortunately, the solution cannot be applied to badminton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any of the BWF idiot policy makers get punished yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    you don't see it, but they can use their weaker or rookie players when they are not serious about winning (if you read between the lines, that just means they don't use their stronger star players if they can afford to lose)

happens all the time in team sports, it's just that it's not as obvious

and this would be considered smart tactics on the part of the coaches
    I think the real crime of the WD players is that they made it obvious. It would still have been bad if they gave a walkover or retired with some small made-up injury they do not want to aggravate. There will be some uproar but I'm not they would be DQ'ed for that.

But they just had to go through with the whole shenanigan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Indonesia, korea and china all found guilty of breaking rules. They officially got found guilty of breaking rules in Sections 4.5 and 4.16, Bwf the official regulatory body's words not mine. Now to put it very simply for you - when you break the rules you can be classed as a cheat. This is official not matter of my opinion.
    Are u really know what are you talking?:1. BWF is no god, they s*cks for so many years. Therefore their "official words" does not mean right. (I think nowadays in a democratic world, no one would say whatever said by any so-called authorities must be right)2. "Breaking rules" does not equal to "a cheat", u could consult legal consultant for how to accuse people. 3. In fact, they didn't cheat, they want to lose that match and did play to lose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonc108 View Post
    Are u really know what are you talking?:1. BWF is no god, they s*cks for so many years. Therefore their "official words" does not mean right. (I think nowadays in a democratic world, no one would say whatever said by any so-called authorities must be right)2. "Breaking rules" does not equal to "a cheat", u could consult legal consultant for how to accuse people. 3. In fact, they didn't cheat, they want to lose that match and did play to lose.

1. BWF official words means it is "right" for all intensive purposes, untill you start some break off tour (by the way this is not a democratic world hahaha do some reading)
    2. Intentionally breaking rules is cheating my friend
    3. "In fact, they didn't cheat, they want to lose that match and did play to lose." hahahah it says in the rules not to do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Japan's women soccer coach Sakai was forced to defend himself against accusations from other rival coaches for fixing the game against South Africa, by ordering his team not to win. The objective was to internationally place Japan at second place behind Sweden.
    FIFA investigated but found insufficient evidence for disciplinary action. Do you think FIFA has a strong record for disciplinary action other than against those involved in internal politics for position jockeying?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Japan's women soccer coach Sakai was forced to defend himself against accusations from other rival coaches for fixing the game against South Africa, by ordering his team not to win. The objective was to internationally place Japan at second place behind Sweden.
    FIFA investigated but found insufficient evidence for disciplinary action. Do you think FIFA has a strong record for disciplinary action other than against those involved in internal politics for position jockeying?
    Japan had it easier. They only needed a draw, so all they had to do was to not score.

Meanwhile the WD pairs had to score many equivalents of own goals.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast