User Tag List

View Poll Results: who's to be blamed for the match throwing?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • The players are at fault for throw matches

    38 17.67%
  • BWF is to blame for implementing group structure

    77 35.81%
  • no one / other are to be blamed.

    7 3.26%
  • both players and BWF are to be blamed

    93 43.26%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 120 to 136 of 188
  1. #120
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kming View Post
    i'm not agree with you. i think that it is a great idea for the player that are not well classified. Imagine. you make australia -> london just to play one match and be beaten against the world number 1. Like this you can play more matches and make more experience. Badminton is not only for the 3 or 4 top ranked players. I think it's a very good idea for our sport. We can't trash this out because the usual chinese cheaters made another stroke.

    Remember in 2004 with Zhou MI. She declared that she changed country because she was told to lose in the semis. BFW should have act after that declaration. They should have the courage to say: We remove the 2004 medal to zhang ning because of cheatering. Remember the AE final with Lin dan and chen jin. THey should have not allow Chen Jin to participate to the olympics. And what about the MS semi single in the 2008 OJ and all the walkover in 2011 and 2012.... The fact is that they keep their eye's closed because badminton is not a major sport in the world. But this time, it was at the olympics and all the press from all the countries speaks about that. They had no other choice to do disqualified them. If it had happened in Super series or world championship, they would have say nothing i think.

    Another problem is that the schedules were made badly. Why the matches that had connections weren't played in the same time to avoid some people to calculate ?

    Also another problem is that the best players plays against with each others at the last match. If the chinese an korean had meet in the first match, there wouldn't have been problems.For example in the european football championship, italy and spain who were the favorite of the group played the first match together….
    Let me ask you something, for tennis in Olympics, it's one loss and you're out. So if Federer for example loses in the first round than he's got nobody to blame but himself. But I'm pretty sure he's not thinking "oh it's a waste of my time" to go to London. Well you can basically insert any of the grand slam tennis tournment also.

    ESPN had an article about this as well that was pretty well written.
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...inting-fingers

    Also don't you think soccer/football in the world cup is a bigger stage than Olympics? In 1982 Austria scored first and beat Germany 1-0 but both teams can still advance with that result. Guess what happened afterwards, let's just say the ball went nowhere near the net of either team and Algeria was eliminated. Than they implemented the system where games are played at the same time. Austria and Germany wasn't expelled from the tournment and FIFA realized they messed up big and changed the way the tournment was played. We are in a very results based society so if the rules are in place to get a better result than teams/players will use it. And don't just say oh China is the cheaters etc they're in the position to do what they did because they're the dominating nation/team. If another country/team is in the same position they'll most likely be doing the same thing if it's within the context of the rules and it will give them the best results.

  2. #121
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This article is quite good on the WD situation:

    http://www.mississauga.com/iphone/sp...or-the-birdies

  3. #122
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,905
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    I kinda feel sorry for BWF. They are like a ground down teacher with little self respect left because their class just constantly takes the p**s out of them. Some associations just won't behave themselves, it's embarrassing. BWF should have found someone big enough to put them in their place a long time ago.
    Well, it's their fault really. They thought they could operate the show like some British curry-and-cucumber-sandwiches club straight from out of the Raj, all chummy and close and incestuous. Then one fine day they woke up to find the wolf at the door. Only problem was, they had removed the door themselves a long time ago!

    They could have taken the cue from any number of international sports associations and councils who put stringent checks and balances, and reporting/punitive structures in place. But they didn't. Now the entire badminton fraternity is reaping the bitter harvest of their foolishness.

  4. #123
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's funny. I was just watching Michael Phelps in the 100M Butterfly (semi-finals I believe) which he ended up winning. And the commentator said something along the lines of.. "I can't believe he actually tried his best. I would've figured he'd save his effort for the final race." Not direct quotes but something like that. So it goes to show that it's pretty normal for athletes to not try their best in every single race. Their long-term goal is gold. A win in one match or a race means nothing.

    And here, the IOC is outright stating every athlete needs to try their best in EVERY single match/race. It's clear that this often does not happen.

    What's sad is that the organizers of the badminton event were TOLD by coaches from many different teams that round robin was a terrible idea and that there would be purposeful losing in order to manipulate draws. The organizers dismissed it and said that they had everything under control. Now it looks like they were wrong and they have to punish the players in order to shift the blame from themselves.

  5. #124
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,885
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    They thought they could operate the show like some British curry-and-cucumber-sandwiches club straight from out of the Raj.
    Hahaha brilliant line!

  6. #125
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would just like to say that in the few squash events that play out dead rubbers, the match is usually played 2/3 instead of 3/5. I have never seen anyone play hard in a meaningless match, if any matches are still to be played, and top players have lost "matches" to players they would beat 100 times out of 100.

    This is about sports betting in London (big business) and ticket sales.

  7. #126
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it's awful what's happening to the players.

    This is completely the IOC/BWF's fault, and not the players' fault at all.

    Imagine if they set up the finals of Men's Singles such that the LOSER would win the GOLD medal, and then Lin Dan and LCW both served everything into the net to try to get the gold. Then IOC/BWF act like the players are huge cheats, kick them both out of the tournament, strip their olympic credentials, make them issue public apologies and also investigate their coaches.

    The organizers should never have put the round robin system into place, and then later on when they were notified in time by everyone about what was going to happen, they should have announced new seeding rules for the knockout stage. If anyone should resign over this, it should be someone from IOC/BWF, not one of the players.

  8. #127
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dustin View Post
    I think it's awful what's happening to the players.

    This is completely the IOC/BWF's fault, and not the players' fault at all.

    Imagine if they set up the finals of Men's Singles such that the LOSER would win the GOLD medal, and then Lin Dan and LCW both served everything into the net to try to get the gold. Then IOC/BWF act like the players are huge cheats, kick them both out of the tournament, strip their olympic credentials, make them issue public apologies and also investigate their coaches.

    The organizers should never have put the round robin system into place, and then later on when they were notified in time by everyone about what was going to happen, they should have announced new seeding rules for the knockout stage. If anyone should resign over this, it should be someone from IOC/BWF, not one of the players.
    What are you trying to say? Why in the world would they get banned if the tournament said the gold medal goes to the person that loses? They're playing by the rules here by missing shots if that's the case :P. In your scenario, the person who is "cheating" would be the person playing to win lol.

    Come again?

  9. #128
    Moderator cobalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    8,905
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squashnut View Post
    I would just like to say that in the few squash events that play out dead rubbers, the match is usually played 2/3 instead of 3/5. I have never seen anyone play hard in a meaningless match, if any matches are still to be played, and top players have lost "matches" to players they would beat 100 times out of 100.

    This is about sports betting in London (big business) and ticket sales.
    I'd just like to point out (as has been done a few times already ) that the matches played in the WD were not meaningless. They were, to the contrary, extremely meaningful. China was trying to ensure a one-two whammy for the finals, and Korea and the rest were trying to ensure the opposite. They could do that only by not playing to the best of their abilities; i.e., tanking the match. I have no illusions this is just match-fixing in another name.

    The teams and coaches should consider themselves very fortunate this is not a big-ticket game (yet) like football or cricket where hundreds of millions (probably more) of Dollars are wagered on any match or outcome. But then again, who knows how much was wagered privately by people on the inside, in these matches? I am not making any accusations but I am laying out the possibilities in such a scenario. In the event, the BWF made the correct call - eventually.

    If you read up on the BWF "initiative" on whistle-blowing to control illegal betting, match-fixing etc, it makes me cringe. They have a stupid clause in there that would actually discourage most people from opening their mouths! Compare this to say, the ICC as below:

    "The ICC follows a policy of zero-tolerance towards corruption in Cricket. It is committed to keep the game clean at any cost.
    "The ICC welcomes any information relating to corruption in cricket including information on match fixing, gambling in cricket by participating cricket players/match officials, or any other information relating to attempts by potential corruptors to compromise the players or match officials in any manner. Such information can be passed on to the Anti-Corruption & Security Department (ACSU) of the ICC either through email : contactACSU@icc-cricket.com or on the ACSU hotline telephone number : +971 4 3417225.
    "The identity of the person sharing information will be kept strictly confidential and will not be revealed to anyone outside of ACSU without specific permission of the informer/whistle blower."

    Such a simple phrase: "zero-tolerance towards corruption" that sends a clear signal of intent, but completely missing from the BWF vocabulary.

  10. #129
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,288
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/badminton...n-scandal.html

    commentary and insight from an ex olympian baddy player, anna rice

    I’m not going to lie, I’m happy this whole scandal went down.
    Not only has it given our women’s doubles team of Alex Bruce and Michele Li a second chance at Canada’s first Olympic medal in the sport of badminton, it has also guaranteed (finally!) some significant media coverage of our sport here at home.
    This fiasco has also shed some — OK, a lot of — light on the issue of match fixing, a nasty affliction that affects several Olympic sports (just ask Henry Kissinger and the rest of the FIFA anti-corruption squad to name an example), and an issue which has afflicted our sport for over 30 years.
    This scandal has rocketed badminton into the mainstream media spotlight the world over, with commentators arguing over who is most to blame.
    Was it the new BWF (Badminton World Federation) system, which encouraged teams to tactically lose round-robin matches to secure a more favourable draw in the elimination rounds?
    Was it the coaches, who undoubtedly asked the athletes to lose and avoid the tougher opponents in the knockout rounds?
    Was it the athletes, who, at the Olympics, should be compelled to give their utmost effort under the watchful eye of the global media?
    I say it was a combination of all of the above. But that’s not my point. What the mainstream media has missed is the opportunity to applaud the Badminton World Federation for an extremely courageous gesture in the face of a few of its most powerful stakeholders.
    The BWF, whose political and financial strongholds are traditionally located in China, Indonesia and Korea, disqualified athletes from each of these countries, and inside sources claim that the decision was taken despite threats from China that it would pull its entire team from the Olympic badminton competition in protest.
    Furthermore, the decision to disqualify the Chinese women’s doubles team will likely cause serious financial blowback in the coming two years, which the BWF understood full well before pulling the DQ trigger.
    What’s more, the president of our world body, Mr. Kang Young Joong of Korea — himself a former president of the Korean Badminton Federation — would have had to approve this decision to disqualify these four teams.
    All of the disqualified are medal contenders, and two of them hail from his home country. Mr. Kang’s personal profile could take a big hit in his home country as a result of this decision.
    Critics will argue that this newly implemented pool play system was flawed, and surely it was. The pool play should have consisted of a blind crossover, which would remove the incentive to throw the matches. The BWF will almost certainly alter, if not eliminate, this system all together in time for the Rio Olympics in four years.
    However, our sport’s world leaders have done the right thing by upholding the rules of the BWF’s Player Code of Conduct and by taking a firm moral stance in favour of the Olympic ideals.
    It's easy for us to argue over who made this mess and indeed there are many culprits.
    But I would like to acknowledge and appreciate that this time, with the world watching, someone had the courage to clean it up instead of passing the buck.
    Anna Rice is a two-time Olympian in badminton and the head coach at Badminton-Vancouver (www.badminton-vancouver.com).

  11. #130
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    12,132
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squashnut View Post
    I would just like to say that in the few squash events that play out dead rubbers, the match is usually played 2/3 instead of 3/5. I have never seen anyone play hard in a meaningless match, if any matches are still to be played, and top players have lost "matches" to players they would beat 100 times out of 100.

    This is about sports betting in London (big business) and ticket sales.
    The crux would be did the players benefit from a more a favourable draw in the next round if they lost that dead rubber.
    If they didnt, then it's as you say, a meaningless match.

  12. #131
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,264
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    they should have done another draw after the round robin stage.

  13. #132
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    3,981
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    All the baddie players I spoke to agree to this punish,ent but still find people pity these banned players in bc, keyboard warriors?..

  14. #133
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    3,333
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Who s to blame? CHN, of course. For the WR1 to have the gall to play like kindergarteners on the prestigious global stage of the Olympics and believe they can get away with it, betrays LYB s clout over BWF. Note that in MD, CaiFu fought to make sure they face their teammates, ChaiGuo, because they are not 100% sure they can take out BoMo . However, CHN is confident their WDs can get gold and silver so they want to be greedy by making sure they play in different halves. That s not surprising. What surprises is the blatant, nonchalant manner they showed it. CHN wants to cheat so badly that they want to lose in record time, to save energy! ( just get it over and done with, don t worry about the fans, this is not Singapore, this is London, very civilised people, one can imagine the coach s instructions...) To the level where even if you don t know badminton, you will know something is wrong or stupid with this sport and anyone who is a fan must be stupid enough to be one. What CHN WD is telling the crowd is we can do as we like because we know you are so stupid, you will put up with it ( only 20 min, ok, just bear with it) and not complain about it. Luckily, we have a smart Aussie coach who refuses to be belittled who have the good sense to lodge a complaint so IOC comes to know about it and BWF has to do something they have never dared do to CHN, in spite of all their cheating over many years, through walkovers and fake matches. You know who should be fired to save the sport of Badminton. PR of BWF for letting CHN cheat so often for so long. Now BWF has proven they can do something if they want to. And LYB disgraces China big time to the whole world. ( let s have a country quiz. Use one word adjective to describe Singapore. Efficient. China? Cheating?) And the media is going to dig out more truths about CHN badminton because they are so starved for sensational stories.

  15. #134
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    3,981
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    Who s to blame? CHN, of course. For the WR1 to have the gall to play like kindergarteners on the prestigious global stage of the Olympics and believe they can get away with it, betrays LYB s clout over BWF. Note that in MD, CaiFu fought to make sure they face their teammates, ChaiGuo, because they are not 100% sure they can take out BoMo . However, CHN is confident their WDs can get gold and silver so they want to be greedy by making sure they play in different halves. That s not surprising. What surprises is the blatant, nonchalant manner they showed it. CHN wants to cheat so badly that they want to lose in record time, to save energy! ( just get it over and done with, don t worry about the fans, this is not Singapore, this is London, very civilised people, one can imagine the coach s instructions...) To the level where even if you don t know badminton, you will know something is wrong or stupid with this sport and anyone who is a fan must be stupid enough to be one. What CHN WD is telling the crowd is we can do as we like because we know you are so stupid, you will put up with it ( only 20 min, ok, just bear with it) and not complain about it. Luckily, we have a smart Aussie coach who refuses to be belittled who have the good sense to lodge a complaint so IOC comes to know about it and BWF has to do something they have never dared do to CHN, in spite of all their cheating over many years, through walkovers and fake matches. You know who should be fired to save the sport of Badminton. PR of BWF for letting CHN cheat so often for so long. Now BWF has proven they can do something if they want to. And LYB disgraces China big time to the whole world. ( let s have a country quiz. Use one word adjective to describe Singapore. Efficient. China? Cheating?) And the media is going to dig out more truths about CHN badminton because they are so starved for sensational stories.
    well said, they are lucky they are plying in London where the bad,inton crowd are known to be gentle, if they do this in some less develop nation, I am people will start throwing stuffs into the court...

  16. #135
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    Who s to blame? CHN, of course. For the WR1 to have the gall to play like kindergarteners on the prestigious global stage of the Olympics and believe they can get away with it, betrays LYB s clout over BWF. Note that in MD, CaiFu fought to make sure they face their teammates, ChaiGuo, because they are not 100% sure they can take out BoMo . However, CHN is confident their WDs can get gold and silver so they want to be greedy by making sure they play in different halves. That s not surprising. What surprises is the blatant, nonchalant manner they showed it. CHN wants to cheat so badly that they want to lose in record time, to save energy! ( just get it over and done with, don t worry about the fans, this is not Singapore, this is London, very civilised people, one can imagine the coach s instructions...) To the level where even if you don t know badminton, you will know something is wrong or stupid with this sport and anyone who is a fan must be stupid enough to be one. What CHN WD is telling the crowd is we can do as we like because we know you are so stupid, you will put up with it ( only 20 min, ok, just bear with it) and not complain about it. Luckily, we have a smart Aussie coach who refuses to be belittled who have the good sense to lodge a complaint so IOC comes to know about it and BWF has to do something they have never dared do to CHN, in spite of all their cheating over many years, through walkovers and fake matches. You know who should be fired to save the sport of Badminton. PR of BWF for letting CHN cheat so often for so long. Now BWF has proven they can do something if they want to. And LYB disgraces China big time to the whole world. ( let s have a country quiz. Use one word adjective to describe Singapore. Efficient. China? Cheating?) And the media is going to dig out more truths about CHN badminton because they are so starved for sensational stories.
    who is going to have a go first?

  17. #136
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    MAS
    Posts
    960
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Foot ball like world cup & Euro cup also implemented group match.. But, why can't we see they abuse it?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •