User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any better alternative than the WD disqualfication?

Ok, we all know what had happend in the WD event now. Like it or not, the damage is already done. Let's put the blame on the side...

I wonder if say we are giving the choice make the decision, what's the better alternatives than simply disqualify all 8, and sub them with much less skilled players, which ruin the entire event.

Personally, I prefer the following:

1. Let the OG event continue as it it, but issue fine / ban (say 3 SS) for the players afterward. Yeah, I know a lot of ppl will not agree with this.

2. Setup a special group for the 4 pairs, round robin again (or cross match, for time saving), and only 2 (or even 1) can survive out of the "penalty group". Then, sub 2 (or 3) pairs to make up the 4 pairs in QF.

Personly, I like #2 better. This way, the 4 pairs will definitely fight to death, which brings some "make up" value for the event (definitely nail bitting, high quality matches), while serve the punishment as 50% or 75% will go home, and the survivor will have less fatigue and less recovery time, which means less chance to survive in the following rounds. This way, it will setup an example, but not totally kill the chance for the participants, and most importantly, keep up good standard of the event

What do you think?
    Last edited by LazyBuddy; 08-01-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

there is no provision in the rule book to allow for fancy re-org like you suggested.

it is either:

- do nothing
    - reprimand
    - fine
    - disqualify

and i believe disqualification is the only sensible way to go, given the magnitude of the violation and the outcry from fans and non-fans all over the world.

and i am glad that BWF did the right thing.

but on top of that, i hope BWF will in some way or manner admit that adopting the group match format is a really dumb idea.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think those who won should not be disqualify... Because they didn't play their best yet win

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    there is no provision in the rule book to allow for fancy re-org like you suggested.

it is either:

- do nothing
    - reprimand
    - fine
    - disqualify

and i believe disqualification is the only sensible way to go, given the magnitude of the violation and the outcry from fans and non-fans all over the world.

and i am glad that BWF did the right thing.

but on top of that, i hope BWF will in some way or manner admit that adopting the group match format is a really dumb idea.
    I agree that it's impossible to get a fancy re-org at the last minute. That's why I put up a big "IF" to begin with. Also, it's never wrong to have a "backup" plan from lessons learned for the future, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I've said in other thread it would have been best for the game to DQ the whole WD team for each of these nations.

1. It will wake players up to the fact that they are responsible for their own actions and will have to quit hiding behind the "I was only following orders" defence.

2. It will give the coaches pause when they are temped to behave in such a manner as they will have to face the players who's dreams they've destroyed by putting them in the position of having to make such a choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like neither of your options. Why? Because the offenders can still potentially walk away with the medals after they've put the sport and the Olympic to shame.

Unless you find a way to make sure they don't win any medal. Well, that is DQ.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3. Have all players replay the matches but with one change in the rules. Each point that a team loses, one player must remove one article of clothing (excluding shoes because that would just get too nasty). If you win one point, you get to replace that article. I guarantee you that the play will become very competitive. Worldwide viewers would increase to record levels. Sponsorship money will flow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ph_leung View Post
    3. Have all players replay the matches but with one change in the rules. Each point that a team loses, one player must remove one article of clothing (excluding shoes because that would just get too nasty). If you win one point, you get to replace that article. I guarantee you that the play will become very competitive. Worldwide viewers would increase to record levels. Sponsorship money will flow.
    Gross. But that would be one way to get me to cheer for that particular Chinese pair...... shudder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my eyes will be glued to ctv's crappy live stream if that happens. more pixelated goodness

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    Ok, we all know what had happend in the WD event now. Like it or not, the damage is already done. Let's put the blame on the side...

I wonder if say we are giving the choice make the decision, what's the better alternatives than simply disqualify all 8, and sub them with much less skilled players, which ruin the entire event.

Personally, I prefer the following:

1. Let the OG event continue as it it, but issue fine / ban (say 3 SS) for the players afterward. Yeah, I know a lot of ppl will not agree with this.

2. Setup a special group for the 4 pairs, round robin again (or cross match, for time saving), and only 2 (or even 1) can survive out of the "penalty group". Then, sub 2 (or 3) pairs to make up the 4 pairs in QF.

Personly, I like #2 better. This way, the 4 pairs will definitely fight to death, which brings some "make up" value for the event (definitely nail bitting, high quality matches), while serve the punishment as 50% or 75% will go home, and the survivor will have less fatigue and less recovery time, which means less chance to survive in the following rounds. This way, it will setup an example, but not totally kill the chance for the participants, and most importantly, keep up good standard of the event

What do you think?
    a slight twist to option 1 that I posted earlier

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    no. we should let them all play on and get their medals.
    Two days later in a press conference to the world and taking the medals back, just like the durg cheats before them.

Therefore no medal for this version of Olympics and will be rubber stamped in history.

Years later when people look it up and the will find out the reason of no medal in 2012 WD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should have a rematch where the players need to give money to a charity. The dollar amount will be determined by the number of points they lose.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I like #2 or the suggestion someone else made in another thread. The winner of the match gets to choose how they want to proceed. i.e. The the winners choose to have either themselves or the losing team match up next.

With #1 a fine may not be that much of a deterrent if team orders are at play or larger monetary incentives to do so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, if you are talking about the CHN-KOR match, think carefully what you are asking for, you may regret it. Agree the KOR cutie may look great with less on or none on But the CHN pair, err...some kids may have recurring nightmare for the rest of their life

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why don't we just do a way with Women's doubles altogether? I'm surprised that so many people in the stadium were booing, can't imagine they would watch this over some of the other matches that were being played!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its the best way to deal with this problem no other alternatives...............

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thunder.tw View Post
    Gross. But that would be one way to get me to cheer for that particular Chinese pair...... shudder.
    Brrrrrrrr... the thought...... go YY/WXL!

Wouldn't mind seeing the Koreans get spanked though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The damage has been done. Disqualification is the only way to go. Personally I would have preferred expulsion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast