WS - will they or won't they?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by Winex West Can, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    The WS quarter finals has 3 Chiness players in and it is very likely that one of the semi Finals will involve both players.

The question is will they do a walk-over or a non-match to allow the other to conserve energy in order to battle in the Final should a non-Chinese win the other Semi.

I think given what happen with WD, that they should disqualify both players if that happens.

2. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

Depends, if the chn vs non chn match is played first and chn wins, then all bets are off and all the girls will try their hardest

wont be a W/o as they would want the bronze medal too. If its throwing the match its wont be as obvious as one side will try to win and one side will not try as hard.

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think these CHN WS players are better actors so there will be minimal suspicion (if any)

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Nay:D, China singles department is much more experience and well trained..

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it only looks bad if both sides wants to lose.

if one side wants to lose then it will just look like one side is off form that day.

and as said. they are much better trained against each other. afterall, they play against each other, every day.

6. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

The China vs China early round games that I've watched all seem to follow a similar format.

1st game. Players go hammer & tongs. Play out of their skins.
    2nd game. Losing player goes off the boil & ends up losing the 2nd game a bit to easily.

Seems like there's an arrangement where the first game is competitive & there's a gentlemens/Ladies agreement not to fight for the second game to save energy for the next match.

7. flite

flite Regular Member

Hmmmmm... there is not even a slightest hint of condemnation for another yet to happen fixed match in this thread. Some even spelled it out so accurately what to expect and what needs to be done by the players in order not to be detected so easily.

I thought a big farce just took place? Wrong message given guys.

O.P: I hope this is not what you are expecting.

8. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Not sure if that's aimed at me.
    Don't like it & definitely not condoning it.

It's much harder to quantify TBH, the first game is OK to watch but the 2nd is always a bit wiffy. There are still rallies so it's much more subtle. At least you can still watch a game being played. deliberate errors and <4 shot rallys for a whole match is un watchable.

I'm at the All England each year and most people get up to stretch their legs when 2 china pairs are playing each other. When you've got an all day ticket it's not so bad.

BWF have had their head in the sand for ages now but it's only then it's on the world stage & it's this blatent that anythings been done about it.

9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I think there's a difference between trying to lose a game to take advantage of the system and get a better draw vs not playing 100% to lose a game to your teammates (against which you would lose anyways) and allow them to be in better shape for the finals.

In both case, it's not right for the spectators, but you'd expect the competition against another country to be more intense than competition between two pairs of the same country.

10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

it wouldn't be necessary as WYH will destroy Nehwal in 2 games first.
    schedules already out, WX and LXR play after them.

the wisdom of IOC/BWF!

11. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Obviously with there biggest threat Saina in competetion they would do so, CHN would here definitely play as a team(They have always done so and I dont think theres any fault in that, till they are doing it under the rules and not bending it, if the authorities wish to stop it BWF/IOC have got the powers go ahead and do so...) saving energy for the bigger fight against Saina but then losing here for a player means losing the medal(atleast the colour) so you are simultaneously being punished as well regardless if it were Tine in the other match it would have been Wang Xin but with Saina I guess it would be LXR, even though Saina beat her just last month shez a better prospect then Wang Xin facing her in the finals....

But if CHN-CHN match happens first which definitely should happen first and CHN wants to save the bronze as well and go for a clean sweep they might wish LXR to be there for the bronze medal... though whatever they do its not going to make much of a difference as the stakes are evenly poised... CHN faces a tricky situation either ways Go to save Gold or Go for a clean sweep?:)

Imagine the pressure after all these the players must be having WYH would have a sleepless night today & shall face Saina tomorrow, shes supposed to be CHN greatest hopes to stop her while she also knows Saina greatly troubles her and with the crowd behind Saina and against them it would be even harder.

Definitely Nobody would like to be in LYB shoes right now!!

12. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    What IOC/BWF still hasnt learnt anything? Atleast start the games same time...........

13. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Its definitely not a nation/player/coaches fault, when the game authorities want it this way... why the players should be blamed for putting ahead their own, national interest first against just the spirit of the game... We arent living in an ideal world, these are competetive sports with too much at stakes... A losing player loses getting the feel of a soldier at the border... you are putting up that feeling against the spirit of the game which is hardly something for a lot...

14. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

China WS is experienced at this stuff, they'll be able to throw the game without making a mockery of it like their compatriots did.

My guess is that the first game will be fast paced and intense as we would expect from elite level players. In the second game, whoever lost the first game would "run out of energy" and play more poorly.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    When I am in emotion, and with full evil thought, I actually wish the WS issues a plain and simple WO, with a well documented doctor's report (hey, find an injury on the veterans is that simple), and give a smack on BWF's face, while laughing as they cannot do anything. And if that works well, let the entire team cheer on the WO player (might as well as Yu/Wang), raise them to the air, when presented the medals. Yes, I was that evil and mad...

Ok, I know that's not good for the sport. So, in reality, I wish to watch a high quality match, especially consider the low quality of WD event.

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Sure, give a w/o and be eliminated from the bronze medal game. That's thinking for you. :rolleyes:

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    That's why I said that in a joking way, if I am full in emotion. Ok, let me get back to my twisted world now. :-D

18. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    My original intent was given what had happened with the WD, would China dare to try and "fix" the WS competition. I checked the schedule early this morning and there were no times set and yes, it is probably in the best interest of BWF to schedule the SN/WYH match after the LXR/WX match so that there is no opportunity to "fake" that match. It is still possible that LYB might look at the three and decided that the best player who most likely will beat SN should go ahead and maybe that is WYH so nothing needs to be done.

I hope BWF is keeping a close eye on the LXR/WX match and I agree that they will probably follow the "standard" format where whoever wins the first game will take the match.