User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    "... Li Yongbo, chief coach of the Chinese badminton team, said the poor behaviour of his players reflected the shortcomings of the new regulations in the sport. "I feel that no matter whether it is the rules or something else, that's no excuse," said Li.
    "The key point is we did not behave professionally as athletes and did not treat each match seriously.
    "We didn't strive with all our might in the Olympic way. From that point of view we really didn't grasp this point thoroughly ... as chief coach I really feel I must say sorry to fans and viewers nationwide," Li told Xinhua...."
    Is the quote lost in translation? If its accurate then this comment is really an arrogant denial by this SOB.
    To me, it basically says that fault lies with the regulations(bwf), he doesn't mention any match fixing but claims the only injustice done is that the athletes didnt take the game seriously.

I hope the top brass gets him out..he is detrimental to the outstanding chinese players career and image and definitely not good for badminton period!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys, please be gentle. Why do you attack her? Motivate her keep moving forward.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't think Yu would do anything like this but she already has

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just like in times of war. When the system is wrong, and eventually fails and the public notices, someone needs to go down and pay for it.

With this DQ, the whole world suddenly sees what is going on in badminton for a while now. BWF didn't care because its 'isolated' anyway. The Olympics on the other hand are high profile, cross-sports and highly attended. You cannot let this go unnoticed for the eyes of the whole world. The IOC did what BWF never did, and in some way, CBA never expected this to happen too.

CBA can also not just start rioting about the match fixing exactly because of the profile of the Olympics. Instead, they look for an internal scapegoat. I think that YY's exit is split between her own disbelief, and internal pressure from CBA.

LYB will never admit that he fixed this match (maybe he did, maybe he didnt, we will never know).

It's sad to see an extraordinary player like her leave the scene like this. While she did deserve the DQ, she didnt deserve an exit like this. After all, she is the top WD player and there is a reason why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yu Yang already has a gold in WD, bronze in XD (I forgot, did she win the bronze last Olympic?)
    She probably quit anyway after grab 2 consecutive golds this year if she isn't disqualified and will replaced by another WD youngster to be paired with Wang Xiaoli hahaha.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habsq View Post
    The irony would blow up the whole universe...

I think what LYB means: you need to act better!
    i think u understand Mr. Li the besta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jan O JORGENSEN on his sport's controversy: "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno whether to sad or glad that she's gone...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s3160717 View Post
    You guys, please be gentle. Why do you attack her? Motivate her keep moving forward.
    I wouldn't have blamed any of the athletes. The decision to play like that would of come from higher. But the problem is her lack of intelligence in her response to being kicked out. Apologise and move on. If she cannot see that she damaged badminton and ruined a lot of peoples day out who payed a lot of money, and then thinks that something like this wouldn't happen, she is completely retarded.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why was she made the scapegoat (to quit)? Why not WXL? Is it because she receive first in the match instead of WXL?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my take on it.
    • The rule that you must play to your best abilities has always, always been part of badminton. This is not something new and is actually a requirement of many sports. All players should and not least those in the professional world, know this.
    • Just because other competitions had effectively turned a blind eye to match fixing, does this mean it is ok to do this? This is the Olympic Games for goodness sake! How many people would give an arm and a leg to be in their position? How much time, money and effort has been spent to give them the opportunity to compete? All those who were involved in organising, planning, implementing the games must feel bitterly shortchanged and none more so than the fans.
    • The players in concern had a choice, they were warned by officials but continued. Do they really believe they could get away with it?
    • It's a very sad affair that she has decided to quit on the back of this (if true). But what she probably doesn't realise is that if she quits now, how will she be remembered in years to come? For being a badminton legend or that person who cheated in the LOG? Surely, quitting now and saying it was the fault of the officials is not going to do her reputation any good. It's very unprofessional and immature. The best thing for her to do now is to realise and admit she has made a huge mistake, seek forgiveness, move on and compete properly in Rio.
    • However, the saddest thing about this fiasco is that it has now put Badminton at risk of being omitted as an Olympic sport in future Olympic Games. To me this is the biggest disappointment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So sad to see one of the greatest WD player i've ever see end her career with shameful tragedy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure as a Brit you must have heard Bert and Dickie's story. What is your take there?

Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    This is my take on it.
    • The rule that you must play to your best abilities has always, always been part of badminton. This is not something new and is actually a requirement of many sports. All players should and not least those in the professional world, know this.
    • Just because other competitions had effectively turned a blind eye to match fixing, does this mean it is ok to do this? This is the Olympic Games for goodness sake! How many people would give an arm and a leg to be in their position? How much time, money and effort has been spent to give them the opportunity to compete? All those who were involved in organising, planning, implementing the games must feel bitterly shortchanged and none more so than the fans.
    • The players in concern had a choice, they were warned by officials but continued. Do they really believe they could get away with it?
    • It's a very sad affair that she has decided to quit on the back of this (if true). But what she probably doesn't realise is that if she quits now, how will she be remembered in years to come? For being a badminton legend or that person who cheated in the LOG? Surely, quitting now and saying it was the fault of the officials is not going to do her reputation any good. It's very unprofessional and immature. The best thing for her to do now is to realise and admit she has made a huge mistake, seek forgiveness, move on and compete properly in Rio.
    • However, the saddest thing about this fiasco is that it has now put Badminton at risk of being omitted as an Olympic sport in future Olympic Games. To me this is the biggest disappointment.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    This is my take on it.
    if olympic get booted out, many thanks to china

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nokh88 View Post
    Why was she made the scapegoat (to quit)? Why not WXL? Is it because she receive first in the match instead of WXL?
    Because Yu Yang already have a gold and will retire soon anyway.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by littlebro View Post
    I am sure as a Brit you must have heard Bert and Dickie's story. What is your take there?
    Ashamedly, I had not heard about this story until you mentioned it. A quick google and I think I've got the gist. Difficult to comment without knowing all the facts and the circumstances in which it happened, nor do I know the rules of the sport that were current at the time. But I will say this, I don't agree with match fixing, or cheating of any sort.

Sticking with what I know, badminton, things that are borderline cheating in my view are mind games, changing shuttles, saying you weren't ready to receive serve etc.

I'm probably seen as foolish, but I would prefer to lose a game than to win one unfairly, I get no satisfaction out of say, trying to catch the receiver of my serve unready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well with her apparent grasp on reality she probably thinks she has a career as a swimsuit model lined up.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast