Yu Yang quits badminton over disqualification

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by vip_m, Aug 1, 2012.

1. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    In http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/repor...ied-chinese-player-yu-quits-badminton_1722998

Yu Yang said, "This was only so as to be able to compete better in the second round of the knockout (stage). This is the first time the Olympics has changed the (event's format). Don't they understand the harm this has caused the athletes?"

"You have heartlessly shattered our dreams," said Yu. "It's that simple, not complicated at all. But this is unforgiveable."

If she doesn't get that she's damaged the sport in the eyes of fans, Olympic audiences, etc., then good riddance. It would've been better for her to apologize and also mention that her coaches told her to do it and that she should've known better and resisted.

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    so sad yuyang is retiring, one of the best woman doubles players but a bad actress...

3. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    "bad actress..." LOL

4. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    "This is my last time competing. Goodbye Badminton World Federation, goodbye my beloved badminton," Yu Yang said on her microblog Weibo. If you love something so much, you would do your best no matter what. Thousands of people would want to have your talent and training -- but you've squandered your good fortune by being more concerned with strategy rather than always doing your best.

#4 vip_m, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  5. charedblack

charedblack Regular Member

Student
    Good riddance! Please take the rest of the cheats with you and dont come back to our sport!

6. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Man! She just has no ability to grasp the concept of honor or personal responsibility. After reading her words it's easy to understand why she was incapable of understanding the seriousness of the Umpire.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yu Yang has her own fault in this case, but she's the little fish in this tank. However, she (and 7 others) suffer the most, up to this moment. The sad thing is, not only her competition career end in such a tragedy, her possible future career (endorsement, coaching, play in professional club, etc) all take a big blow, due to the damaged image.

Yes, she's at fault, but she does not deserve to take the blame by herself (ok, with 7 others). It's a sad day for the sport, as this is much more of a "political decision" rather than any competition meaning.

Personally, I wish her the best, as her hardworking and brilliant career deserve a much better summary than the last minute bashings.

8. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Feel really bad for her, a great player as such must retire at her golden age as if the DQ itself is not enough :(

well, the rest of WD players now will have better chances with the gone of the mightiest!

9. SibugiChai

YAB
    she not only spoil her name, she spoil the image of badminton...

10. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

For her statement, it is obvious in her eyes, it is ok to do anything to win. It is ok to screw the other party as long as it benefits her & China.

Can we blame her, it is LYB's SOP. No, I am not going to miss her one bit.

11. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Well on the positive. If Canada can get a medal she can come here to Vancouver and Coach. She'll be a national hero here.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Or, for some so call honest fans, it is ok to do anything to CHN, as long as the non-CHN benefits??? Remember, CHN, KOR and INA are the ones (and DEN and MAS) sacrifies their own players and chances, to spread the common wealth for the OG badminton event to begin with.

Are they at fault? Yeah. But please, there's no need to dig to the bones, once the tragedy is already done. It's a sad day for the sport, because there's so much politics got involved.

13. SibugiChai

YAB
    dont see any politics involve, its a clear case of misconduct

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Of course, you and many others will say that. Just as many of us can say, politics definitely get involved. Whether you intentional or unintentional believe OG is still purely sports only, then I can only say either me or yourself does not reside on this planet too often...

15. SibugiChai

YAB
    only a special few like you believe politics are involved...

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am very honored to be the very few who still have a bit common sense.

If there's no politics, why even bother with "limited entries per country, to share the common wealth in global". No, I am not talking about badminton, I am talking about all events.

If I remembered correctly, OG spirit is to get the best of the best to compete, but not to invite as many nations as possible. The Greeks played the games thousands of years ago, to award the best atheltes, but not use it as a political welfare for the media coverage or "smooth some losers' feeling".

17. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    PBSI admitted that was a strategy to avoid China rather than to blame their players like China
    i',m sure if LYB or China badminton Association did like PBSI, YU Yang wouldn't quit

18. jdileo

jdileo Regular Member

It is indeed sad that a rare talent like Yu Yang won't be competing anymore, a big loss to true badminton fans. Or, maybe a big win to those who want to do away with WD badminton anyway.

19. sugianto

sugianto New Member

student
    She played several some great games which still remained in my memories (a bit) with her partner. Thank you very much for your contribution. I hope she can still make badminton as a part of the next chapter of her life, after this unfortunate incident (ex:coach). While I have a lot of displeasure to her remarks, I'll just take it that she's still too emotional. Therefore I will just keep my negative comments in my mind. Well, she got too many negative comments already.

#19 sugianto, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  20. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Yeah right. Anyway you are entitled to your own opinion.