How to return a drive?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by albert80, Sep 9, 2003.

1. albert80

albert80 New Member

I'm a very new player, have been playing for just a few weeks. I'm wondering if someone could tell me how I can return a drive. All of my returns doesn't seem to be working. :(

My options:

1. clear - the drive is too fast for me to react and swing my arm back so my clear is not long enough, obviously I'll get a smash.

2. drop - maybe my skill sucks, I just couldn't keep the drop low and close to the net when returning a drive. It is kinda strong and fast so it bounces off too fast. (i.e If I keep it low then it is too long, if i manage to get it close to the net then it is too high. The momentum from the drive is just too much.)

3. drive back - it becomes a drive rally and I lose most of the time. ;p

Pls help me!

2. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    Try This...

Drive back but make your racket head slanted/angled (more the better just don't over do it) so that upon your return the birdie won't go straight to him but on his sides, makes it a little harder to drive it back to you.

OR You could just go for a block and make him play net...

3. mjwhitfield

mjwhitfield Regular Member

Postgrad University Student
    It’s always better so play an attacking shot rather than a defensive shot, so I wouldn’t worry about playing the clear.

If you’re able to aim your drive back to him aim at his racket arm/shoulder or maybe just a few inches out of his backhand reach so he has to move and worry about footwork and playing your shots.

However the best attacking shot you have from the drive (IMO) is the drop/block, so I’d practice your drops and see if you can catch your opponent out.

Good luck

4. Maradona

Maradona Regular Member

How do you hold your racquet? You might want to consider holding the racquet higher up on the grip (effectively shortening the length of the racquet). This will allow you to move the racquet head quickly. Always always always keep your racquet up, you'll have more time to react.
    Regarding your options:

1. Clear - Its better to play an offensive shot, but sometimes you cant. If you need to clear, its because your opponent has hit a downward drive and approached the net. Try and get a clean hit (its tough when you are being jammed), and flick your wrist to clear it. Since your opponent hit a drive, you dont actually need that hard of a hit to clear it a good distance, and you just dont have time for a full out swing.

2. Drop - Dropping and following the drop to the net is your best option, it gets your team on the offense. Your opponent is supplying most of the power here, so just try and cushion the shot so that it falls over the net. Aim away from the person who just hit the drive, and follow up your dropshot.

3. Drive - Bend down low enough so that you can take any shot that comes over the net with your racquet high. try and hit down on the bird if possible - that will cause your opponent to pop the bird up.

5. RealMad

RealMad Regular Member

You've only been playing for a few weeks. Keep playing first and whatever you do, don't be afraid of a drive. Just get used to spotting it and making clean contact with your racket. Pretty soon you'll figure out what the most natural way for you to return it is.

I wouldn't listen to too much strategy. With only a few weeks experience, I highly doubt you'll remember any of it, much less execute it, any time soon. Most important right now is to develop your reflexes and technique in general. Just keep hitting and having fun.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree with RealMad.

If u only started for several weeks, I think it's more important to "know why/how u lose" than "try to win over others". It's the period to build up ur experience, as well as know which particular move is ur weakest link (of course, work on other moves as well). Of course, at this moment, u can also summarize which move/shot suit for urself, under the assumption such stroke is legal and in correct form.

Don't be afraid of losing, and don't be shy to ask around for suggestions. However, don't overpush urself to think how to "win every game" at this moment.