Getting back into the sport, need recommendations

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Borbor, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Used to play 4x a week for 5 years in highschool (mainly due to competing in hs events). Then uni happened and I stopped; and well, picked up golf during uni and for those of you who plays golf, u know how it is :p

Want to get back into it as a few of my golf buddies are playing badminton and have been joining them for their weekly games for a few weeks. I think in the past 14 years I've only played 4x.

Will probably be looking to get adult lessons (that's one thing about me and my sports. I either don't play, but once I do decide to play, I'll get at least some instruction to brush up on basics and not develop any bad habits).

Racquets-- I haven't been keeping up to date at all with the current badminton racquets. Still using my first and only racquet from when I was a kid (carbonex 7. I'm sure some of you on here haven't even swung that piece of antique lol) So to go from that to some modern offerings, what'd you recommend? Budget of about $140 to 160 cdn, used or new doesn't matter; of course I don't need the top of line stuff made with unobtainium :p hell in the back of my mind I'm still debating whether a newer racquet is really gonna make such a huge diff.

Style of play? Not sure. I mainly do doubles, but not too much singles. Main reason why I want to really get some instruction is to work on my footwork so I can play the occasional singles game. Errr, that's about it? lol, I know it's not a lot of info, but I never really was one to get into the equipment side back when I was playing a lot. I DO know I struggle when I can't feel the head as my timing for clears and smashes just isn't the same as compared to when I swing the carbonex 7.

2. qingshun

qingshun Regular Member

Well. I believe training with a carbonic 7 in the meanwhile would be better than training witha lighter racket. Since you have not playing for quite a while, your stroke would be lacking in speed and not as fluent as in the past. Meanwhile while using ur carbonex 7, loan rackets from ur buddies to tried out what u really want in a racket. Everyone's preference varies from a to z. What suits a world champion would not suits everyone. You will get what I mean when you try to follow everyone advice.

3. John JY Wong

John JY Wong Regular Member

Businessman
    My suggestion: Get a few lessons under your belt, and they ask your coach about replacing your racket. :)

4. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    You could take a private lesson, first. At that time your coach might have several rackets for you to try, additionally there is a possibility that your coach will invite you to play at his other student's session, at that time you could also try other students racket of your coach.

5. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Signed up for lessons already, first session next wed, cant wait! :)

6. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

hey u must be the borbor at TGN ? Welcome Welcome !! Dont just fixate on the Yonex line, Victor also makes some good rackets for your guide. Your situation is exactly like mine. Played a lot of baddie at high school, stopped playing and resume last 2 years. I played 100% double these days and use a Victor BS11.
    There are used rackets in the buy/sell forum from GTA area from time to time. I have bought and sold 2 rackets here before settling on the BS11. Cab7 is like 30 years ago, haha. I played with a Cab8 back in the early 1980s before switching to a Kawasaki 01. Cant remember what the cab7/8 felt like. I still have a cab20 and a Aerotus 110 and use the Aertous still from time to time.

7. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Hey Mike, yup, that's me :D2Ug4, it feels like a sledgehammer. I tried a vt80 the other day and it felt ok. Not good enough to tell atm. Signed up for a skillset evaluation for wed, we will see what the dude says. Doubles was all i played too, but i want some proper training cuz my footwork is horrendous.I bought my rac 25 yrs ago LOL.

8. ilan87

ilan87 Regular Member

Badminton Instructor
    There is a great place at yonge and centre. 10min north of Yonge and Steeles. Its called TBC the lessons are cheaper then any other place I have ever seen so far. Call/text Allen(coach) 416 300 0846 or email igelula@hotmail.com he will be able to give you all the information. (I believe private lessons are only $25 an hour)