User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 124
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Court 2
    Posts
    259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I feel sad for LCW , such a talented player but have never win anything that classed as the top events (Olympics , World championship). Just hoped he will still be playing in 4 yrs time and have another go for the Gold. Lets hope he will win the WC a few times starting next year.

    I think he show too much respect to LD ,his opponents and the officials as well.
    In the third game when he was 8-5 up and when the serve was called in , the umpire have actually announced 9-5 before LD and coach went up to the umpire and forced him to correct the score to 8-6 .

    That was the turning point of the match as LCW lost his concentration. If he has went up to the umpire , argue and said something , it might be different. As he would let his steam-out and concentrate on the next few points . Overall, I think he is too fair , which is what the sport need , but as they says ''being nice can be a disadvantage to oneself''

  2. Likes gundamzaku liked this post
  3. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    i believe they both have all the necessary skillz to win, it just all boils down to their mental strength like most of you said. since i started following professional badminton, i realized that LCW is just an all round class act, nice guy, never a dick, and please correct me if i'm wrong. where as LD could be a jerk. and i say this with the utmost respect to LD as well. LD is certainly very very talented and i love watching both players play, but i think LD has that certain edge, that when he's playing, that look tells you, i'm going to kick your butt and enjoy it too. where as the way LCW looks when he plays it says, nice game, i win, but really, thank you for playing, and the thank you is genuine.

    this is just my opinion but for some reason it seems to me that if both players are on par skill wise, then you need to have that attitude, to be a bit dickish, in order to win?
    What you may call "dickish" many others would say having a strong competitive nature that drives them to go that extra mile to make sure that they win. It's a very important aspect of many players' games that allowed them to get as far as they have had. I'm sure even LCW has his competitive instinct, it's just may not be as intense as LD's.

  4. Likes Jonc108, bad's fan liked this post
  5. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    hongkong
    Posts
    332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Staiger1 View Post
    I feel sad for LCW , such a talented player but have never win anything that classed as the top events (Olympics , World championship). Just hoped he will still be playing in 4 yrs time and have another go for the Gold. Lets hope he will win the WC a few times starting next year.

    I think he show too much respect to LD ,his opponents and the officials as well.
    In the third game when he was 8-5 up and when the serve was called in , the umpire have actually announced 9-5 before LD and coach went up to the umpire and forced him to correct the score to 8-6 .

    That was the turning point of the match as LCW lost his concentration. If he has went up to the umpire , argue and said something , it might be different. As he would let his steam-out and concentrate on the next few points . Overall, I think he is too fair , which is what the sport need , but as they says ''being nice can be a disadvantage to oneself''
    It's quite annoying how people do this. As soon as LCW wins the AE, people start ignoring the AE as if it is not one of the major titles.

    Whereas BEFORE LCW won his first AE, the major titles which he had yet to win ALWAYS included the AE (as well as Olympics and WC).

    FACT - LCW has won a major title in his career, being his two AE titles.

    Another fact is that he hasn't won the biggest and grandest of titles.
    Last edited by badders2006; 08-07-2012 at 02:53 PM.

  6. Likes Jonc108 liked this post
  7. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    antartica
    Posts
    737
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    LD's case for winning is more of pressure from his home country. If he don't win, his coach suffer from CBA and country. It's not because he wants to win for his personal satisfaction because he already won everything in badminton.

    If LCW don't win, he still get many congratulations from his country. LCW wanted to win for his personal glory and his fans.

    So both players had to win it badly, but because of different reasons.
    Last edited by julianng; 08-07-2012 at 02:54 PM.

  8. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Court 2
    Posts
    259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badders2006 View Post
    It's quite annoying how people do this. As soon as LCW wins the AE, people start ignoring the AE as if it is not one of the major titles.

    Whereas BEFORE LCW won his first AE, the major titles which he had yet to win ALWAYS included the AE (as well as Olympics and WC).

    FACT - LCW has won a major title in his career, being his two AE titles.

    Another fact is that he hasn't won the biggest and grandest of titles.
    AE is not up there with the WC and the Olympic son, and that's a fact. Yes , is one of the top super-series premier event but is in a different class to the WC and the Olympic.........most people that are not that into badminton will only recognize the highest achievement of the badminton players by their progress in the WC and Olympic and (their ranking )......If you mention the All England to non-badminton fans , they will ''what'' you ..

    The Olympic title has always been the biggest prize in badminton and that what all the players strive for

  9. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Staiger1 View Post
    AE is not up there with the WC and the Olympic son, and that's a fact. Yes , is one of the top super-series premier event but is in a different class to the WC and the Olympic.........most people that are not that into badminton will only recognize the highest achievement of the badminton players by their progress in the WC and Olympic and (their ranking )......If you mention the All England to non-badminton fans , they will ''what'' you ..

    The Olympic title has always been the biggest prize in badminton and that what all the players strive for
    hmm.i am not tennis fans
    so if u say all the grandslam name,i also will what u.
    so does this mean those grandslam mean nothing?

  10. Likes bad's fan liked this post
  11. #24
    Regular Member V1lau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    366
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Staiger1 View Post
    AE is not up there with the WC and the Olympic son, and that's a fact.
    That is not a fact, just your opinion. Anyways why would you care what "non-badminton fans" knew or didn't know about badminton?

  12. Likes limsy liked this post
  13. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V1lau View Post
    That is not a fact, just your opinion. Anyways why would you care what "non-badminton fans" knew or didn't know about badminton?
    AE may be a prestigous title but it is relatively easier to grab (I said relatively easier, I didn't mean it is easy) as compared to Olympics and Asian Games, for the obvious reason - You only get one opportunity every 4 years, and you don't have that many 4 years in your entire badminton career.

    World Championship was 'relatively harder' to get being that it was once every 2 years, now it is easier by having it every year so I am sure as long as LD is not along LCW's way LCW should be able to bag at least 1. It is not as prestigous but it still show some fame because after all the title is 'WORLD' champion.

  14. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstone View Post
    AE may be a prestigous title but it is relatively easier to grab (I said relatively easier, I didn't mean it is easy) as compared to Olympics and Asian Games, for the obvious reason - You only get one opportunity every 4 years, and you don't have that many 4 years in your entire badminton career.

    World Championship was 'relatively harder' to get being that it was once every 2 years, now it is easier by having it every year so I am sure as long as LD is not along LCW's way LCW should be able to bag at least 1. It is not as prestigous but it still show some fame because after all the title is 'WORLD' champion.
    again,that's only ur personal opinion like V1lau said.

  15. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    11,989
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    For Asia players : AE, WC,AG,OG are the 4 major titles.For European players : AE, WC, OG are the 3 major titles.The non Asians will and have argued that AG is not major title cos it does not include players from whole world.

  16. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    again,that's only ur personal opinion like V1lau said.
    May I know on which part are you referring? I think everybody would agree that AE is relatively easier to grab since it happens every year as opposed to once every 4 years? Wouldn't you?

  17. #29
    Regular Member V1lau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    366
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstone View Post
    May I know on which part are you referring? I think everybody would agree that AE is relatively easier to grab since it happens every year as opposed to once every 4 years? Wouldn't you?
    In terms of opportunities in a career, yes. But it can be argued that the strength of competition would favor the AE. How do you put an objective value on each to compare, to arrive at a fact?

  18. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstone View Post
    May I know on which part are you referring? I think everybody would agree that AE is relatively easier to grab since it happens every year as opposed to once every 4 years? Wouldn't you?
    haha,at least there is 2 out of ur 'everybody' are not agree with u.
    wc/og got restriction of country player while ae dont,and it already had more than hundred year,had been treated as world championship for about 70 years?

  19. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Truth is you get more harder players at the All England or any other super series event, but the fact is if you're LCW or Lin Dan you could probably smash players like Du Pengyu (who didnt make the squad) without even turning up to play.

  20. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    11,989
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstone View Post
    May I know on which part are you referring? I think everybody would agree that AE is relatively easier to grab since it happens every year as opposed to once every 4 years? Wouldn't you?
    European players and fans of European player would disagree as by default they dont get to participate in AG. There have debates on AG being major title.
    Last edited by eaglehelang; 08-08-2012 at 03:02 AM.

  21. Likes limsy liked this post
  22. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Court 2
    Posts
    259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    haha,at least there is 2 out of ur 'everybody' are not agree with u.
    wc/og got restriction of country player while ae dont,and it already had more than hundred year,had been treated as world championship for about 70 years?
    It is treated ''as'' the world championship ,...but it is not the WC where you can call yourself the world champions. AE is not as well-known to the public , but I do take your point as AE being one of the top title to win within a calender year and one that many top players wanted to win.

    well done !
    Last edited by Staiger1; 08-08-2012 at 05:07 AM.

  23. #34
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I personally don't agree that LD's physical make up is better than LCW. I actually think LCW is physically better in many ways, or at least equal to LD.

    Where they differ is in their technique and mental ability. Although they also differ in that I see LD as a natural born talent, whereas LCW is more of a sculpted, manufactured talent.

    Mentally LD is superior, he is a clever thinker, constantly analyzing the game and finding holes. He is an extremely cunning player, can read his opponent like no other and has an ability to adapt to situations. He would play different players completely differently. Watch him play PG and he would really try to p1ss him off, wind him up with shuttle changes, replay serves, floor wipes etc, anything to disrupt PGs mental momentum whereas when's he's playing someone like TH there'd be no need to do that as nothing seems to faze TH.

    In the OG finals, LD was not on form and looked tired. He was slow by his standards against LCW and was in fact slow against Sasaki in the semis. He was making a lot of mistakes playing loose net drops before quickly realising in the last game that LCW was simply too quick for him so ended up lifting most of the net shots. He needed to change his tack. He started to play it safe, more passively and patiently, simply waiting for LCW to make an unforced error. I’m sure this was intentional, he knew there’d be no point facing aggression with aggression as he’d tire even more quickly than LCW so played the waiting game.

    LCW on the other hand is too regimented mentally, too orthodox technically and too nice a person. LCW doesn't do mind games, he has his own way and sticks to it. This is OK when things are going well and there’s no external factors to consider but when something doesn't go to plan, he is unable to snap out of it and adapt to the new situation. This is the trouble with honest people, they're just good for their own good.

    I like LCW a lot, I’ve yet to see a fitter, faster and more dedicated singles player. LCW definitely should have won that match.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •