Advice on my racket and tension set up

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by soyabean, Aug 8, 2012.

1. soyabean

soyabean Regular Member

I have the following racket & tension as follow (different stringer):
    - Armortec 700, BG80 power 25lbs
    - Muscle power 100, BG80 25lbs
    - Voltric z-force limited, BG66 maxima 28lbs

Armortec is the racket I always use during game with good feel and power. Voltric is purchased recently and after playing for a session, the power and feel of voltric is better than my armortec 700.

When I play with mp100, most of my shots are weak and always failed to deliver the same power as armortec 700. Energy draining to me...

I have the following doubts:
    - I'm more suitable with head heavy racket?
    - Does it has anything to do with the string, tension or stringer?
    - In future, should I string with 25 or 28lbs since I feel better playing with voltric?
    - Is my analysis flawed?

Thanks!

2. cookster001

cookster001 Regular Member

I might not be the best person to comment as I haven't used any of these rackets but from my understanding the armortec 700 and voltric are both head heavy rackets, thus giving you more power with your offensive shots. Perhaps your lack of power with the MP is due to old strings?

Of course the z-force is a new racket so has the latest technology and it has good reviews, especially in terms of the power delivery of the smash etc, that combined with the BG66 string (which gives more repulsion compared to the BG80 in my opinion) is perhaps why your finding this combination particularly good. I would certainly recommend the BG66 ultimax string for offensive play so perhaps try string your other rackets with the same string and tension and compare that way.

As for your stringing tension that is something that you should test out for yourself. I wouldn't recommend changing between rackets too often. If you find one you get on best with then stick to that.

Hope this helps

Anthony

3. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    1. Yes, because both the at700 and voltric z-force are more head-heavy than your mp100. If you like both of those more than your mp100, it's probably because they're more head-heavy than it.

2. Yes, different strings can deliver different types of feedback, but it will not affect your swing. Whether you mistime your hit or how your racquet feels when you swing has absolutely no relation to your string or stringer. That said, the feel of the impact may differ depending on strings and the string job quality could differ from stringer to stringer (differences in technique to the equipment they use).

3. Depends if you like it at this tension or not. If you find that your shots are always off-target and you need more control, go string higher. Different strings also have different properties so keep that in mind as well when you're off to hunt for strings.

4. No, not really.

4. soyabean

soyabean Regular Member

Thanks Anthony for your input. I usually stick to one racket but started exploring when I find differences between my armortec and mp100. True enough I feel that voltric fit my play better. Not conclusive since I tried it for a 2hr session yesterday. Will try my other racket with bg 66 in future to see if there's any differences.

Usually people have the impression that only very good player will have string tension of 25 and above. I'm just a intermediate player thus not sure if I can really handle 28lbs. But from experience it seem that I can clear to back line with lesser effort... Puzzle...

5. soyabean

soyabean Regular Member

Thanks cillu!

For 2, for all racket I hit the bird in a similar manner. For mp100 the shot always feel so weak.

For 3, through reading I understand that higher tension provide better control and less power right? But from my above observation, it seem that I can clear with lesser effort on higher tension... Seems contradicting. Not too sure about control portion thou.

6. cookster001

cookster001 Regular Member

No problem. Well yes I think the armortec 700 is probably a better racket for you by your description. I play with an armortec 900 power at 24 lbs tension but want to try exploring and using higher tension to see what the difference is. I think most people just don't bother trying a higher tension! I would also say I was an intermediate player so I shall let you know how I get on when I use a higher tension.

I would also comment that it could be a combination of the racket, string and the tension that is giving you the better clear. With my experience the Bg66 does give more power and a bit less control at the net