any serving rules governing a one-armed man?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by 88raymond, Aug 9, 2012.

1. 88raymond

88raymond Regular Member

engineer
    the server uses the non-racket arm to hold the shuttlecock prior to a serve. do the rules say that the initial position should not be above the waist or navel (or something like that)?

he's asking what rules govern a one-armed player... he says he can't hold the shuttlecock with his mouth.. hahaha!

despite the fact that his right arm was amputated two years ago due to bone cancer, he takes things lightly... and he's a funny guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUNE-Dt7oMg

i
    told him i also need to know the answer!

2. phili

phili Regular Member

There are only rules regarding the contact point of the shuttle but none that say you may only hold it that high. Some WS player (Japanese I think) hold the shuttle over their head before the let it drop for the serve.
    I too know a guy that only uses one arm during service because his other hand is not fully developed.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    even though there is nothing restricting one or two arms, i do believe you need to hold the shuttle with your hand instead of the racket like your friend does in the video.

which is not hard to do at all, as that's how coaches do multi-shuttle feeds.

4. 88raymond

88raymond Regular Member

engineer
    he only has one arm, one hand and five fingers.

5. Blazers OTK

Blazers OTK Regular Member

Student
    Hi.

I believe there's two viable options that I've seen other people with similar amputations do.

1) Rest the shuttle on the amputated arm and let it drop and then proceed to serve (backhand serve)

Example in this video of the recent European ParaBadminton championships: [video=youtube;GkvgA5x4DlE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkvgA5x4DlE[/video]
    The male and female on the far end both upper limb amputees.

2) Grip the feathers of the shuttle with the tip of the fingers on the racket hand. Drop from a fair height and serve forehand.

Example below; player on the far side serves using this method.

[video=youtube;KvEAUJT096U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvEAUJT096U&feature=plcp[/video]

6. 88raymond

88raymond Regular Member

engineer
    oh, now i understand what kwun was saying. thanks, Blazers OTK!

my friend would have a hard time with the first option, but the second one would be appropriate, and give him more control on his serve.

thanks also,
    phili, for clarifying.