Backhand Serve foot positioning in Doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by cheongsa, Sep 11, 2003.

1. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Backhand Serve Stance in Doubles

Hi,

While playing back home in Singapore over the summer, I noticed that a number of players do their backhand doubles serve by standing square at the T.

When I do such a serve, I usually have my right foot forward (I am right-handed). Most people I play with here in US do the same with the backhand serve, and have their footing reverse when doing a forehand serve.

Is there any advantage in standing square at the T? I would like to hear from people who takes both stance when doing backhand serves.

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Standing square may allow you to switch the direction where your body would turn to receive the reply. I tried this a few times and I simply don't like it as I had to move one foot backwards to return any replies, which is a little slow.

Standing with one foot forward would allow you to just tap or do an overhit, which would be quicker.

Most people whom I know to stand square at the T-joint are usually very relaxed people whom are not scared of the kind o replies which you would be doing.

3. khengsang

khengsang Regular Member

Analyst
    My impression was that square stance was better for taking net plays, hence if you planned to serve and stay at front the stance would be better for immediate net play.. could be wrong. I switched to square after watching some how some national players were playing.

4. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    when standing near the T be sure that your serve is really low, 1-3 inches above the tape. Higher than that and you'll have a fast drive or a flick smash coming at you. Standing near the T means your area of defence is in front / near the net coz your competitor can also just tap back the shuttle and do a really sharp right or left nettie.

amature players tend to serve mid high thus they got a really delicious smash coming back at them.

5. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Thanks for the replies!

My own personal take on the serving stance in doubles is that the server should counter a rush whenever possible, and not leave everything to his partner.

Since a well executed rush will be at my chest level (I am 5'7"), I find that to return the rush, I have to bend over to my left, and then take the shot with an overhead stroke behind my back, if I even attempt to retrieve the shot. I can do this only if my right foot is forward.

I cannot imagine how someone square at the T would be able to do this? Is the square stance strictly in anticipation of netplay after the serve? I notice from my games in Singapore that people don't rush a lot, and most of the time, a serve is intercept and returned with a no nonsense drop, so that the server would lift and

6. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    ...something screwy with my browser...

... his partner would smash.

7. other

other Regular Member

Student
    i stand square most of the time. its easier to backhand shots coming back from the sevice, cos if your standing with right foot forward (for right handers), how will you reach the left hand corner if they drop it there?

8. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

feet position on serve

Just been reading another thread and it mentioned feet position for serving.

I'm right handed and serve BH with my left foot in front of my right. Apparently this is wrong. I was told it doesn't matter which way I stood when serving as long as it worked for me. I'm only 5'4" and stand approx 15" back from the service line to serve. This helps the shuttle keep a flatter trajectory over the net.
    People have commented on how good my service is. Usually on my short serve, the skirt of the shuttle will brush against the net tape and still be in.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Who told you it was wrong and why is it wrong?

From what I see, there are many ways to play the serve, and many body positions in which the stroke can be played from (more than any other stroke).

It might be difficult to play a service reply that has been aimed at your backhand net area simply because of foot positioning.

The ultimate aim is a good quality serve as you have stated.

10. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Here is why I think it is more beneficial to serve backhand with the non-serving side's feet backwards:

- it allows you to push forward with that foot to give you more power
    - there is more space for the racquet to move, giving you a larger possible arc and hence more power
    - better balance before and after serve to improve accuracy and readiness to respond
    - allows your main/strong foot to push forwards and thus allows you to 'long' jump backwards in case they return it to the back cord
    - allows your left foot to push back and hence hop forward-right if they return to the front-right. (if you are right handed)
    - allows your right foot to push right-front, and hence allow you to hop left-back, spin around, and return a shot to the front left with a fast backhand drive.

So basically, better balance and positioning. If you do find other combinations work better for you then there is nothing wrong with adopting them. It's just that more people find this position the best for them

11. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    If your right handed your right foot must be forward and left foot at the back coz it gives you more space for your racket head (left side coz the handle is at the right) to move. try to imagine or better yet do what i'm saying and you'll find out. This was taught to me by my badminton instructor...

12. Kurodo

Kurodo Regular Member

Student
    serving backhand (right hand) with left foot in front.... o.o;

i would never have thot to do that ^^... i suppose its not a good idea to get your legs all tangled up (which is what your form seems to do)... not during play and especially not on serves o.0

doing that also dont seem to help your serve very much.. unless you use special muscles in your serves and must stand in that position to use them effectively!? O.O

13. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    As previously posted by others but if you are comfortable with your current stance and is able to and confidentially play good quality returns to your opponent reply shots, there shouldn't be any problems.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Singapore Open 2003 serving stances as used by some of the finalists...

1) left foot clearly forward - Martin Lundgaard
    2) feet square - JR
    3) left foot slightly back, right foot forward, hips more square - Jens Eriksen, Zhang Jiewen, Yang Wei, Haung Sui, Ra Kyu Min
    4) left foot clearly placed back - Kim DM, Zheng Bo

One difference now to >20 years ago in backhand serves is that many players only withdraw the racquet back a very small amount, so the extra space issue afford by the right foot forward stance becomes a minor factor.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Sorry, forgot to mention all these are players are right handers!!

A common foot movement is that immediately after serving, whatever foot is placed forward, all seem to split step after the shuttle has left the racquet.

16. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Where do you position your leg when you do a backhand serve?

Some people have their right leg in front, some people have their left.....

How bout you guys?:D

17. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Right handed, right leg in front, flat on the floor. left leg bak with heel up.

18. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Generally, there are 2 possibilities :
    -Racket foot/leg in front, non-racket foot behind the racket foot.
    -2 feet horizontal to the service line.

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This is one of the few choices of technique that I believe makes no real difference.

I've changed from left foot to right foot, and then back to left foot (when my right foot was injured). Now, I put my left foot forward in the right service court, and my right foot forward in the left court!

It's more important to think about the posture you adopt after serving.

20. surfpunk

surfpunk Regular Member

I'm right handed and I much prefer having my left leg in front for serves

I'm a 'goofy foot' (right leg forward) when it comes to snowboarding etc