I have twisted my ankle two years ago playing football. Since then I have only mainly been jogging and running. Next week I want to restart playing Badminton again. Now I was wondering if I should use a bandage for my ankle or not? I am a little afraid if I use one my foot will get used to it and not get strong enough on its own.
What do you recommend me? Does anyonehave made some experience with that?
you will not lose strength in your ankle using protection whilst playing. All you are doing is slightly restricting its motion in order to prevent over movement. When an original ankle injury occurs the ligaments usually stretch and this cannot be repaired back to 100% without surgery, therefore it will always be weakened.
I would not reccomend using a bandage but instead learn to use strapping tape. A bandage is used for compression of swelling and u are still very likely to roll ur ankle severely with a bandage on. Strappinh tape retains strength and holds tight the movement in your ankle. Its a much smarter and safer alternative.
Let me share my experience about ankle sprain. Had multiple injury ( > 6 time ) ranging from grade 1 to 2 with the last one was 7 years ago. As I've gone through multiple episode of injuries, there are certain key factor that I've recognized that is important to note and apply in further reducing the risk of recurrent injury and improve ankle strength.
- Wearing any ankle equipment (from level 1 ( ankle guard) to level 4 protection (ankle brace) does not reduce your game performance ( I've been wearing an ankle brace - Aircast A60 for 5 years). Below is a study done for this issue a published studies in 2005 done by a team of researchers from the Sports Medicine Institute, University Hospital of Munster, Germany for your references for the above issues
- Improve your legs proprioceptive sensory especially with the injured leg. Improving your leg proprioception will improve much the ability of your injured nerve from that sprained ankle to correctly sense your foot location while on the move. With a much improve proprioception ability, this will make your legs to react quickly once it sense that your foot is in a wrong physical rotation while on the move.
- Always be discipline to warm up before you play. It's advisable to apply warm compression before you play to promote plenty oxygen supply to that previously injured ankle and cold compression after you play to reduce further swelling that will occur from any inflammation if there is still pain there. Don't compress more than 10 minutes per cold application which can in result further diminished blood supply to that area that can lead to ischemia.
- Regardless what grade of your ankle injury, wearing an ankle brace, if you choose one, has both significant important role as a prophylaxis for the occurrence of an ankle injury and also the prevention of the recurrence of an ankle injury. Therefore, an ankle brace can be beneficially used both as an ankle protection for an athlete that has no history of ankle injury but fears the risk of getting one and also as an ankle protection against a recurrence of an ankle injury. Below are 2 study done for this:
1. The Role of Ankle Bracing for Prevention of Ankle Sprain Injuries - Publication from the
Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Theraphy
A studies done in 2003 by Dr Michael T. Gross and Hsiu Yi Liu and an official publication of the Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Theraphy Sections of the American Physical Theraphy Association. (Attachment of document is below).
2. The Textbook of Sports Medicine - 2002 by Michael Kjaer
A comprehensive coverage of both basic science and clinical aspects of sports injury and physical activity from the World's leading authorities within exercise physiology, clinical internal medicine, sports medicine and traumatology.
What factors do I need to look at when chosing my shoes? So what do you mean by chosing wisely?
What do I need to consider when using stretching tape? Sounds pretty good / senseful.
well I twisted my ankle twice in 3 months or so while playing in yonex sc4. I changed them to shb-01 and so far so good. sc4 are rather soft and were maybe a bit loose. shb-01 are very rigid and firm (i got sc4 instead of them the first time coz I though that I dunt need such tight and firm shoes with my level of play, but i was wrong)
Wow, thanks a lot for this. This really helped, espeically your detailed comment
. Sounds pretty convincing so that I know what I am going to do now. Also the choice of the shoes is easier for me now. Cheers